Author Topic: Death threats ae now being made against TEA Party group.  (Read 6771 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Death threats ae now being made against TEA Party group.
« on: August 27, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »
It wouldn't be so bad, except the Leftist have been known to bomb and kill in the past.   Good luck, freedomWorks.

Death threats ae now being made against TEA Party group.

http://politics.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2010/08/25/tea-party-group-hit-with-death-threats

dogmush

• friend
Re: Death threats ae now being made against TEA Party group.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 05:05:53 PM »
To be fair, rightists (righters?) have been known to bomb and kill in the past too.

In general, death threats in US politics from eaither side should be nuked from orbit.  I don't want to live in the kind of country that results from that kind of politics.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 05:16:46 PM »
Outside of abortion advocates, who on the right were you thinking of?  Those are the only ones I can think of and that was years ago.

I really don't think there is any such thing as a non-violent fanatic. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
Off the top of my head?

Tim McVeigh.

Although if I wanted to I could make a pretty good case that Islamic Extremists are pretty politically conservitive.

I wasn't try to start an arguement though, just pointing out that the statement: "It wouldn't be so bad, except the Leftist have been known to bomb and kill in the past" is a little disingenous.  The problem here is the death threat.  It would be just as bad if Tea Party Fanatics were threatening CNN.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 06:29:27 PM »
It's ok. Nobody's spitting on black congressmen. Nothing to see, so move along.

taurusowner

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »

Although if I wanted to I could make a pretty good case that Islamic Extremists are pretty politically conservitive.

Really?  Islamic Extremists are in favor of individual liberty, economic achievement, and small levels of government involvement in one's life?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »
"It wouldn't be so bad, except the Leftist have been known to bomb and kill in the past" is a little disingenous.  The problem here is the death threat.  It would be just as bad if Tea Party Fanatics were threatening CNN.

Maybe the stats will prove me wrong, but I think there has been much more violence from left-wing groups in the past, say, thirty years.  I'm hesitant to go back much farther than that, because the current conservative/libertarian movement didn't really even exist then.

But anyway, let's all remember the woman with a B scratched in her face.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 07:34:50 PM »
are we counting left wing and right wing groups only in the usa?  or world wide?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 08:30:39 PM »
any tea parties outside the US?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 08:47:50 PM »
any tea parties outside the US?

Yes.   And one of our own runs it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 09:06:58 PM »
Really?  Islamic Extremists are in favor of individual liberty, economic achievement, and small levels of government involvement in one's life?

Lets be honest, the majority of the American Conservative movement doesn't believe in individual liberty, economic achievment, and small levels of government involvement in one's life.

Again, don't get wrapped around the axle here, all I'm saying is that the threat is not MORE credible simply because a leftist made it.  In fact, on average I think a random APS member is much mor likely to have the ability to carry out a threat (not the motivation, mind you, but the ability) then the entire DU combined.

I repeat, for those that are spinning up to type out a list of evil leftists:

Quote from: dogmush
In general, death threats in US politics from eaither side should be nuked from orbit.  I don't want to live in the kind of country that results from that kind of politics.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 09:09:07 PM »
world wide then [popcorn]

taurusowner

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 10:06:23 PM »
Lets be honest, the majority of the American Conservative movement doesn't believe in individual liberty, economic achievment, and small levels of government involvement in one's life.

As long as we're being honest, I'll trust you can back up that claim?  Conservatism is the belief in limited government and individual liberty.  Maybe you're trying to use a centuries-old definition of conservatism, just like some people try to argue that the centuries-old definition of liberal is one who believes in liberties.  But we don't live in the 1700s.  American conservatives believe in individual liberty.  Islamic extremists do not.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 10:32:17 PM »
are we counting left wing and right wing groups only in the usa?  or world wide?

USA only.  Once we get outside of the U.S., the labels mean much different things.

Definition fail.  What Ragnar said.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 10:39:19 PM »

Life(except yours), Liberty(except our wimmins), and the pursuit of happiness(by blowing ourselves up). Small levels of gov't in everyone's life once we kill the gov't.

See, the whackos are more conservative than Dick Cheney.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 11:23:04 PM »
I'm hesitant to go back much farther than that, because the current conservative/libertarian movement didn't really even exist then.

There was, but it took a pretty bad beating in the 1964 election  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 11:44:24 PM »

If bad comes to worse, could we apply to them for military aid?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 12:51:50 AM »
Once heard Karl Rove talk about death threats. Summary: Everybody significant in Washington receives death threats. It comes with the territory. In this age of cheap stamps, phone calls, and free email, it's more common than ever before. Both sides have nutters who make death threats.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 01:43:41 AM »
Once heard Karl Rove talk about death threats. Summary: Everybody significant in Washington receives death threats. It comes with the territory. In this age of cheap stamps, phone calls, and free email, it's more common than ever before. Both sides have nutters who make death threats.

Yah, it really dissapoints me when I see that crap.

Recently, David Codrea (a pro-gun blogger I follow) bragged about a thinly veiled death threat he made to the EPA over the lead ammo petition.

I mean, come on.  It makes you look like a moron to be reduced to that level.  I hate it even more when people I agree with do it.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 03:44:45 AM »

/thread.

That is a great overstatement of my achievements.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 08:15:45 AM »
As long as we're being honest, I'll trust you can back up that claim?  Conservatism is the belief in limited government and individual liberty.  Maybe you're trying to use a centuries-old definition of conservatism, just like some people try to argue that the centuries-old definition of liberal is one who believes in liberties.  But we don't live in the 1700s.  American conservatives believe in individual liberty.  Islamic extremists do not.

OK, since Micro /'d the thread, thread drift it is.

Now just based on my own experiance, those of us here on APS that care strongly for limited governmnet and individual liberty seem to be a limited subset of american "Conservitives".  John McCain and George W. Bush tend to personify the majority of conservitive that I see in central and north florida, as well as what I see written in national op-eds.  

I can hear your keyboards spinning up with versions of "They're not conservitive", to which I'd answer that they think they are, most conservitive voters think they are and the liberals think they are, so for all intents and purposes they're part, a large part in fact, of the American Conservitive movement.  You can throw the RINO label around as much as you'd like. The cold fact is outside of APS we're the fringe wacko conservitive, and the RINO's are the ones leading the movement.

Now I'm all about changing that, and reforming or kicking out the wanna be's, but denying the truth of that is counterproductive and pretty silly.  If you disagree with me about the kind of "Conservitive" most conservitives like, ask JD Hayworth what he thinks.  Or how the Hell we elected Charlie Christ governer of Florida.  Or how Sherif Joe keeps getting elected.  He seems all for limited government, as long as it's not his department that is limited.

Hell, look at the entire US federal government from 2000-2006.  It was dominated by the "Conservitive Movement" and I didn't see a whole lot of limited government and pushes for individual liberty.

Before you fail my definition, make sure your's matches reality.

Life(except yours), Liberty(except our wimmins), and the pursuit of happiness(by blowing ourselves up). Small levels of gov't in everyone's life once we kill the gov't.

Life (except abortion doctors and fed agents), Liberty (except for the fags) and the pursuit of happyness (as long as beer on Sunday doesn't make you happy).  Small levels of government (after we use it to block a church in a place we don't like).

One of the most annoying things to me, as some one who actually has had to go fight Jihadists, is Americans tendency to lump them all into "Crazy Terrorist" and dismiss them.  I'm not defending either their ideas or their tactics, but as someone who's helped kill his fair share, they're not all stupid.  Their life seems (is) ugly and repellent from here but for them it's actually pretty well thought out, and the leaders tend to be as well or better educated then us around here.  The actual guy wearing the vest is often a moron, but he's not much of a threat.

So the leaders of radical islam believe that men should be free to live as long as it's inside gods will, that they should spread god's word, and that if needed the government should be used to enforce god's laws.  Have any of you ever listened to Billy Graham?  Because the imams of Iran have more in common with him then Hitler.  

And before everyone jumps on me defending the Conservitive movement, save me the trouble of going back and Quote Mining from Sep-oct 2008.

Yes, conservitives in America are more liberty minded then most in the world, and yes there's a small subset (us mostly) that really believe it, but look around you act what is actually the conservitive movement.  Most still don't mind the Patriot Act, G-Bay's fine, use the .gov to shut down the GZM, Sure the cops can GPS tag your car, send SWAT after thos nasty weed dealers, and make sure my Social Security gets paid on time.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 08:53:40 AM »
OK, OK, so your mind's made up, you are so out of touch you think that Billy Graham can be compared to KSM, and you think that failing to go in for any made-up right that has been invented in the last fifty years makes a person anti-liberty.

Very well.  I won't jump on you, then.

Look at the entire US federal government from 2000-2006.  It was dominated by the "Conservitive Movement"

Uh, yeah, OK.  =|

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 09:35:31 AM »
OK, OK, so your mind's made up, you are so out of touch you think that Billy Graham can be compared to KSM, and you think that failing to go in for any made-up right that has been invented in the last fifty years makes a person anti-liberty.

Not the point I was trying to make at all.

My point was that several of the things that are, in American Politics, "Conservitive" are themselves anti-liberty.

You really don't see the comparisons between folks willing to use the government to enfoce Christan tenants here, and folks using the government to enforce Muslim tenants in Iran?  Obviously there's a drastic difference in both the level of government force, and the objective morality of the tenants being enforced, but on a sight where "Slippery Slope" is almost it's own religion I'd have thought the comparison would be more obvious.

It's possable that I am out of touch.  I don't actually listen to Billy Graham, so what I know of his views come from my family that does listen to him, and the articles and Blogs I've read about him.  So maybe I have an unfair view of him.  I don't jump on every made up right.   I haven't here, on this forum.  But life is very rarely that black and white.  In reality, in current american politics, I see some "liberals" that do good things for liberty, and some "conservitives" that do bad things for liberty, and vice versa.  Why are you so dedicated to drawing firm ideological lines between liberal and conservitive? They don't seem to be as inflexable as your implying.   

Or, to drag it back to my original statement, is your contention that a threat of violence is more credible from a liberal because it comes from a liberal.  That's what I took exception to.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 09:41:49 AM »
Look at the entire US federal government from 2000-2006.  It was dominated by the "Conservitive Movement"

Uh, yeah, OK.  =|

Did I miss something?  The Liberals whined that Conservitives were in charge, the Conservitives crowed that they were in charge, the rank and file Republicans thought the Conservitives were in charge.  Hell the only folks that thought Conservitives weren't in charge (that I met) were Libertarians.

I'm confused that you think because the Conservitive movement isin't, or wasn't what you'd hope it to be, that it wasn't the Conservitive Movement.

Or am I wrong?  Was there some huge groundswell of standard rank and file republicans that thought Bush and the congress were off reservation?  The folks that I knew then were either "Don't care about politics", "Bush is the Devil", or "He's saving us from the Liberals/terrorists"? :shrug

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 09:50:51 AM »
Why are you so dedicated to drawing firm ideological lines between liberal and conservitive? They don't seem to be as inflexable as your implying.   

I don't think I am implying such.  Please explain. 

Was there some huge groundswell of standard rank and file republicans that thought Bush and the congress were off reservation? 

There was widespread discontent from conservatives and libertarians both in and out of the Republican Party.  A few issues on which many conservatives differed from Bush and other "RINOs" were:

The Iraq War
The Patriot Act
High levels of spending
Illegal alien issues
Prescription drug subsidies
The Dubai ports deal
Judicial appointments

Probably a few dozen more that aren't coming to mind right now.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 10:04:46 AM by Fistful »