Author Topic: The Climate "Consensus" is in meltdown. About time.  (Read 931 times)

Desertdog

• friends
The Climate "Consensus" is in meltdown. About time.
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:52:09 AM »
It looks like the truthh is finally coming out about GW.  Angeles just broke

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/meltdown_of_the_climate_consensus_G0kWdclUvwhVr6DYH6A4uJ

Just a side note; Southern CA tied 1914 low temp record.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/09/record-low-temperatures-lax-ocenside.html

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: The Climate "Consensus" is in meltdown. About time.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:19:12 AM »
If this keeps up, no one's going to trust any scientists.

It's already there.

Any more, I always look for a political agenda.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The Climate "Consensus" is in meltdown. About time.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:26:56 AM »
Regarding the first link, the UN has and always will be a joke. Their science panels are political entities first, scientific entities second. Climate change is exactly that -- variable change over (great spans) of time. The Earth as a whole is in a post-ice age warming cycle right now (possibly near a peak, but who knows). It may affect humans in certain areas -- some negatively, some positively. Just as it has affected humans when it has cooled. I recently read in a (I believe Nature) article that Britain was almost completely depopulated three times over the last million years due to ice ages. C'est la vie. Humans have some input into climate, but over a 100,000 year cycle I believe it would not even show up as statistical noise. It's only our hubris that makes us believe we can have a devastating effect on climate, or that we can control it. No more so than controlling the after-effects of an asteroid strike. We would look at these things more logically if we looked at them at planetary timescales versus our puny 100 year lifespans.

Regarding the second link, I wish news organizations would not constantly confuse weather with climate or localized events with global events. It could be argued that cooler Southern CA temps are related to larger events as they probably are. The Southern CA Bight is experiencing La Nina, creating cooler than normal water. That, coupled with the fact that the larger high pressure systems have all been trending to the East, is creating cooler conditions for us here. Those same East trending high pressure systems are creating the higher than normal temps on the East Coast. I just returned from business travel in Monterey CA last night. While LA was experiencing record cold, Monterey and San Francisco were experiencing unusual and near record heat as they are outside the influence of the Southern CA Bight.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."