Author Topic: Unintended Consequences  (Read 1442 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Unintended Consequences
« on: September 18, 2010, 01:29:29 PM »
 :facepalm:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/may/11/economic-stimulus-turns-into-hindrance/?print=1

Turns out the "shovel-ready" jobs in Tennessee are blocking businesses such that they are now struggling to get customers.

Brilliant.  :facepalm:
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ned Hamford

• friend
Re: Unintended Consequences
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 01:38:16 PM »
 :facepalm:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 02:27:45 PM »
unintended? perhaps  foreseeable ?  definitely
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 11:16:29 PM »
People need to stop considering these unintended consequences. When it's plainly obvious that B always happens when A is done, then it shouldn't be considered an unintended consequence when B happens.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 04:06:54 PM »
Happens with every major road project, "stimulus" plan or otherwise.  Certainly not a surprise for anyone.

Most high-throughput chains (fast food, gas stations, etc) can predict their loss in revenue quite accurately based on the changes in traffic patterns and accessibility.  This stuff is no great mystery.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 06:45:18 PM »
Happens with every major road project, "stimulus" plan or otherwise.  Certainly not a surprise for anyone.
Most high-throughput chains (fast food, gas stations, etc) can predict their loss in revenue quite accurately based on the changes in traffic patterns and accessibility.  This stuff is no great mystery.

This.  No fan of the stimulus at all and whatsoever, but the premise that the stimulus caused the falling revenue of the businesses is like saying the spoon made Rosie O fat.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”