Author Topic: Bloomberg goes for a total police state in NY.  (Read 3916 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Bloomberg goes for a total police state in NY.
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:24:52 AM »
SIG has already said that they will not cut into their profits to retool for microstamping. I believe Glock had as well. So if you want to buy guns, anyone in NYS, buy them now. Because otherwise, well...I expect S&W will comply as usual. I don't know who else will.

Though with this, you might just want to get the hell out. By the way, there's a bold lie here. The latest study out of SF, of all places, found that cameras do not deter crime.

"We'll also target the three precincts with the highest murder rates by seeking a public-private partnership that can fund cameras on street corners and problem places. Cameras, as you know, are proven to deter crime and help catch criminals. And for those who say this is a civil liberties issue, you're absolutely right: it's about the liberty of innocent civilians to live in peace. And we won't rest until that's true for every single New Yorker.

"We'll do more to drive down crime even further at public housing sites by using GPS technology to enforce court orders prohibiting gang members from setting foot on public housing property. To build on the gains we've made reducing domestic violence, we'll open a new Family Justice Center in the Bronx - like the ones we created in Brooklyn and Queens, which have become national models. And we'll develop a computer database enabling the NYPD to step up home interventions - and save more lives.

"Saving more lives is why we've taken on an issue that the skeptics say is a national problem that cities can't affect: illegal guns. Well, let me tell you: they couldn't be more wrong -and we're proving it.

"By winning passage in Albany of the toughest law in the country against illegal possession of a loaded gun, more criminals are spending at least a year in prison. By suing the out-of-state gun dealers we caught breaking the law, we've reduced the flow of guns entering our city from those states. And those dealers are now under court-appointed monitors to shape up, or pay up.

"Last year, our bi-partisan coalition of Mayors Against Illegal Guns won another major victory: a 'Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership' with the nation's largest seller of firearms: Wal-Mart. It establishes ten basic practices that will reduce the likelihood that guns will be sold to illegal traffickers. This year, we'll work with Speaker Quinn and the Council to require the city's own gun dealers to follow similar practices. And I'll a sign an Executive Order directing all City agencies to submit mental health records to the Justice Department's background check system on gun sales - so the next Virginia Tech massacre doesn't happen here.

"We'll also ask the State Legislature to require all guns sold in New York to include micro-stamping technology, which helps police connect crime scenes to guns, and to require gun dealers to conduct background checks on everyone they hire. Would you let a convicted drug dealer work in a drug store? Not a chance. It's just common sense.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/01/full_text_of_mayor_bloombergs.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 11:28:08 AM by Manedwolf »

longeyes

• friend
Re: Bloomberg goes for a total police state in NY.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 01:03:27 PM »
They want to make all pre-existing firearms and ammo illegal and confiscatable.  Is that not the plan?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 01:51:03 PM »
Just remember, Bloomberg is only the mayor of NYC. You can't call the rest of the land a police state, not yet anyway. Hopefully it never will be.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 01:58:44 PM »
Just remember, Bloomberg is only the mayor of NYC. You can't call the rest of the land a police state, not yet anyway. Hopefully it never will be.

And Daley is "only" the mayor of Chicago

:rolleyes:
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 03:08:39 PM »
Just remember, Bloomberg is only the mayor of NYC. You can't call the rest of the land a police state, not yet anyway.

As long as one American suffers under the yoke of tyranny, we all do, and the evil that is done to our civil rights in the worst parts of the nation will soon become the norm everywhere.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 03:17:26 PM »
As long as one American suffers under the yoke of tyranny, we all do, and the evil that is done to our civil rights in the worst parts of the nation will soon become the norm everywhere.
An astute observation. Once a government observes that people across the river, in the next county, or the next state roll over and just take what ever their government dishes out its a foregone conclusion that they will follow suit. Governments never grant liberty they just take them away. The stated reasons may vary based on the nature of the government but the reality is that it's all about control.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:31:24 PM »
"By winning passage in Albany of the toughest law in the country against illegal possession of a loaded gun, more criminals are spending at least a year in prison.
For some reason, I was thinking that illegal possession of a firearm by a criminal was a stiffer sentence than one year. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:34:34 PM »
For some reason, I was thinking that illegal possession of a firearm by a criminal was a stiffer sentence than one year. 

If it's like Mass is, a law-abiding person who makes a mistake with their trunk lockbox gets a year. The gangsta who actually just did a drive-by but missed gets probation.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 04:34:57 PM »
I may not be in the know way down here in Texas, but micro-stamping implies that no criminals use revolvers.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »
If it's like Mass is, a law-abiding person who makes a mistake with their trunk lockbox gets a year. The gangsta who actually just did a drive-by but missed gets probation.
So it is yet another case of politicians trying to hide their own failure to prosecute criminals and keep them incarcerated as long as they are supposed to be.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:47:05 PM by MechAg94 »

thebucket

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 03:02:13 AM »
I may not be in the know way down here in Texas, but micro-stamping implies that no criminals use revolvers. 

It also assumes criminals don't know how to use grinding tools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 03:16:46 AM »
It also assumes criminals don't know how to use grinding tools.

You didn't read the law.  Removing the Micro-Stamping would be illegal.  So obviously criminals wouldn't do it.

It's almost like the Micro-Stamping isin't about reducing crime at all.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 03:39:47 PM »
Just how are they going to micro stamp a cap and ball revolver?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 06:32:38 PM »
I hope Glock, S&W, and SIG do a Barrett here and simply refuse to sell and service their product to the NYPD until that policy is no longer required.....but I'm not holding my breath....  =(
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 06:34:11 PM »
I hope Glock, S&W, and SIG do a Barrett here and simply refuse to sell and service their product to the NYPD until that policy is no longer required.....but I'm not holding my breath....  =(

The first and last I can see doing that. S&W has a long history of sitting up and begging when the authorities tell them to do something, and even helping with it. Remember the locks in the Clinton years?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 07:27:03 PM »
The first and last I can see doing that. S&W has a long history of sitting up and begging when the authorities tell them to do something, and even helping with it. Remember the locks in the Clinton years?

I don't like Smith much either, but they had different owners when they did that Maned.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 07:59:33 PM »
I don't like Smith much either, but they had different owners when they did that Maned.

They're still located in Massachusetts, and they still jump through every hoop the MA leftist state government asks them to. They do that in return for being one of the only brands on the "approved firearms" roster, ensuring no competition in the state. And, of course, the lucrative police contracts.

Other manufacturers won't play MA's extort..er..."testing" game, so you can't buy any preban Glocks or even Springfields in MA. Taurus' president, I'd heard, all but told them to go pound sand. But Smith? Smith, evvvvverything that doesn't have a capacity over 10rds is approved right away.

They'll be first to put out a press release of their "exciting new innovation" in the field of "firearms safety" with a microstamping technology. I very much believe that.