Author Topic: Boston Globe uses the term "Masses"  (Read 2367 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Boston Globe uses the term "Masses"
« on: January 20, 2009, 02:48:58 PM »
Even as accurate as it is. That's what it was, a select group of Beautiful People liberal VIPs isolated and with warmed luxury RVs and posh parties, and The Collective out on the mall. A collective with blank, but bright-eyed people talking about unity and all being one. Really? Try going up and asking if you can go into Oprah's RV for a coffee.

But still. Masses. That is not a term I ever wanted to see in an American newspaper.

Masses share in Obama's reward

WASHINGTON - President Obama's election broke a color barrier. But with his stirring inaugural address, he achieved something else that his heroes Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King Jr. had always insisted was true: He showed that advancing equality can give new force and spirit to America's core values.

The new president made clear that his inauguration - an unprecedented pageant that unfurled across the nation's capital - is the reward for decades of struggle by people of many races, the moment of unity born out of a bitter past.

And it is a reward he intends to share with others: His inaugural address touched many familiar bases in its tributes to America's history of liberty and justice and freedom, but the power of the spokesman made it memorable, and important.

Obama vowed to carry America's promise across the world, and to use it against the threats of the moment: war, terrorism, and economic decline. Given his status as the son of an African immigrant, Obama's vow had a distinctly different character from the one taken by his predecessor.

"This is the meaning of our liberty and our creed - why men and women of every race and every faith can join in celebration across this magnificent mall, and why a man whose father less than 60 years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can stand before you to take a most sacred oath," he declared.

As Obama gazed out at the crowd, his head cocked upward in a gesture of confidence and wisdom - just like John F. Kennedy did 48 years ago - he saw his largest group of supporters yet.

More than any recent president, Obama ascended to power on the outstretched arms of crowds. Their sheer size was what first identified him as a serious presidential contender. Their enthusiasm was what separated him from Democratic primary rival Hillary Clinton. And they quickly became a metaphor for the Obama phenomenon.

People filled a football stadium to hear his nomination acceptance speech in Denver last summer, and their serious faces - so different from the usual convention assemblage, more like a church group than political ralliers - staked his claim to the hearts of grass-roots America.

The million-plus who came to Washington today sought to consecrate his administration, delivering a mandate to bring stability to a nation mired in war, conflict, and distress.

The crowd drew its energy from three strands of emotion, any one of which would have been enough to make this an inaugural for the ages.

First were those in tangible fear for their economic future - those with big payments due in a few months, with layoffs scheduled at the office, with demand letters in the mailbox.

Second were the African-Americans and millions of other people of all races who were emotionally engaged in the civil rights struggle, ready, finally, to celebrate an event that encompasses all the small victories along the way.

Third were the millions more who had chafed at George W. Bush's war policies, treatment of detainees, emphasis on faith over expertise, and other aspects of his divisive administration.

The big crowd's happiness was such that, truth be told, almost any inaugural address would have been greeted warmly.

But Obama chose to give them a patriotic pep talk, hoping to validate their enthusiasm by tying it ever more deeply to American history.

From a man who campaigned on change, Obama's declaration that his own historic rise is as one with America's past is an act of generosity - one that will give his country a new burst of strength.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2009/01/20/masses_share_in_obamas_reward/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 02:56:50 PM by Manedwolf »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Boston Globe uses the term "Masses"
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »
More than any recent president, Obama ascended to power on the outstretched arms of crowds.

Really? Must they perpetuate the " chosen one /messiah" stuff?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 03:04:33 PM »
Really? Must they perpetuate the " chosen one /messiah" stuff?

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer? It is their perception. These people actually believe that Bush was the devil and their savior has finally come to their rescue.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »
Masses. That is not a term I ever wanted to see in an American newspaper.

Those who define the terms generally win the arguments.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »
Was this put out by a newspaper, or by a PR agency representing Obama?  Or is there really a difference anymore?

This definitely doesn't rise to what the purported standards of journalism are.  This reads more as a religious/political propaganda piece.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 03:33:49 PM »
Was this put out by a newspaper, or by a PR agency representing Obama?  Or is there really a difference anymore?

Boston Globe. Same thing. It's a liberal rag. The Herald is better.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 04:29:29 PM »

But still. Masses. That is not a term I ever wanted to see in an American newspaper.

To borrow from Ozzy Osborne: How about witches at black masses?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 05:20:58 PM »
But were they "huddled,", "unwashed," or "yearning?" 

If only they had attached the appropriate adjective!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 06:20:50 PM »
Masses share in Obama's reward

Whose masses got a reward?.....my mass didn't get rewarded today.....when does my mass get rewarded?....

:laugh:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Lbys

• This cone is the ultimate power in the universe.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 08:39:08 PM »
Easy, seeker.  Just quit your job, stop paying your mortgage, and take your number for a pound of crap sandwich at the entitlement counter.  It can't be any worse than pastrami.
Correlation does not indicate causation.