Author Topic: The "no vote."  (Read 3439 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: The "no vote."
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 08:39:19 AM »
True, and we have to find a way to overcome the "I don't want to throw my vote away" mental block. That's some heavy lifting.

It's not a mental block, and it can't just be overcome. People don't vote that way because they are stupid, they vote that way because it's the best way to vote. In any simple majority democratic system, any two parties can gain ground against the rest by combining. This continues until by reduction, we are left with two parties, which are themselves nearly identical.

The problem is baked into our voting system, and it's not the fault of some mental block on the part of the citizens. The simple majority ballot is provably bad at arriving at the best candidate. There are a multitude of better voting strategies out there, but those will never be implemented because arriving at the best candidate is not the point.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 10:02:54 AM »
Again, if you have to pay your taxes (all of them) once a year at the polling place, then more people would be likely to vote.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 10:18:32 AM »
Again, if you have to pay your taxes (all of them) once a year at the polling place, then more people would be likely to vote.

You say that like it's a good thing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife