Author Topic: Not paying attention to your surroundings  (Read 1701 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Not paying attention to your surroundings
« on: October 18, 2006, 02:17:29 PM »
Forgot to post this yesterday - a good example of why you might want to pay attention to what's going on around you.

One of our agents has a bad habit of not paying attention to stuff around her - walking into people/walls/objects, tripping over stuff, backing into people's cars, etc. Well, yesterday she and a group of folks standing on our front step, waiting for a ride to go on tour. As usual she was in la-la land when she decided she needed to get something out of her car. She hopped right off the step ... into the path of a passing car.

Luckily the driver had paid attention to the big group of folks standing around and had slowed down as a precaution. The car wasn't traveling much faster than a brisk trot, but it still was enough to knock her down. Our agent smacked the pavement face first. She will be okay but it broke her nose and cut up her face pretty good.

The lesson? Situational awareness is not something you try to have "when you have time".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 06:08:21 PM »
Yeppers.  I see this all the time unfortunately.  When one is a child of but six years of age and walks into traffic (as I did) its understandable.  But for adults, it is just plain stupidity.  

When I still lived at home with my parents, I'd cruise the local strip.  When spotting my friends driving I'd wave a greeting, but 99% of the time their vision would be locked straight ahead and they'd never see me.  Or that tractor-trailer rig that t-boned 'em one day (no injuries, just a lost job).
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

HForrest

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 12:59:18 AM »
I've been noticing, especially recently, how many people are completely unaware of their surroundings. In the grocery store, on the road... everywhere. They just simply don't pay attention to what's going on around them.

Sure, I'll space out in thought sometimes- while sitting down in a less active setting... but when it comes to things like driving or any activity one should be paying attention to, I don't understand how some of these idiots manage to breathe.

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 07:13:54 AM »
I've seen that, especially folks with cell phones.

They have no idea what is going on around them, the ones driving are the worse and most dangerous.  Luckily, I pay attention and was in a parking lot trying to find a place to park.  Noticed this lady (not stereotyping, it's just that she was a female) with a phone glued to her ear get into her car.  I pulled over and let the guy/gal? behind me go ahead and sure enough, the lady jumped in, started the car and just backed out.

Totaled the front end of the other persons car.  And then the lady had the nerve to yell, scream, and demand insurance information from the people she hit because it was "their fault".

Sorry lady, oncoming traffic has the right of way, so sad, too bad, you got the ticket Cheesy .

I was a great witness for the LEO's, just doing my duty Sir's.

Wayne

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 07:40:28 AM »
Ever since I learned of Condition Yellow, I've tried to live there.  I notice that a lot of folks sorta work at living in Condition White...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 08:48:54 AM »
People are too preoccupied with other things than what they should be doing.  As an Air Traffic controller I make a living off of situational awareness, and the lack thereof infuriates me.   To me, wandering around without being aware of your surroundings is plain stupidity.  To criminals, its a target rich environment.
I still have a hard time convincing my wife to do things like lock the car doors or put her electronic toys (like GPS) away.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 09:07:14 AM »
I still have a hard time convincing my wife to do things like lock the car doors or put her electronic toys (like GPS) away.
Your first week in NoVa will cure that.  A guy from one of the other gun boards moved here this summer and had his ham radio stolen from his car one of the first nights he was here.  He doesn't live in a bad neighborhood either.

Sad thing is, the theif probably thought it was a CB radio. rolleyes

Chris

Green Lantern

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 06:31:58 AM »
I really need my butt kicked higher than my head for some of the things I do...

Like when I go to lunch daily, I HAVE to have something to read...newspaper, pharmacy magazine, etc.  So I sit there in the fast food joint with my nose stuck in my reading material.

Got a good embarassing reminder to QUIT IT yesterday.  Was back in my car til break was finished, reading the paper.  At one point picked something out of my teeth Shocked - looked over a little later and saw that someone had pulled in a few parking spots over and was sitting in HIS car.  D'OH!!!!

I think the lesson was, "Go forth and live in Condition White in public NO MORE...!" Wink

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 07:30:40 AM »
The ones that drive me nuts are the folks who, while in a crowded public place, will walk BACKWARDS without looking or caring who they run in to. Like the whole world should be looking out for them.
I knock 'em down. Tongue