Author Topic: Starbucks  (Read 1885 times)

HForrest

Starbucks
« on: October 20, 2006, 08:40:13 AM »
I'm probably going to apply for a standard retail position at Starbucks. Generally, I hear pretty good things about being employed there- Does anyone here have experience working at one? What are your thoughts?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Starbucks
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 09:04:13 AM »

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Starbucks
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 09:36:10 AM »
Sorry, I don't do three-buck-a-cup coffee.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Starbucks
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 09:36:28 AM »
I've been thinking of applying there part-time.

Mmm, free coffee & cute chicks.

mtnbkr

• friend
Starbucks
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 09:43:29 AM »
Sorry, I don't do three-buck-a-cup coffee.
They also make plain coffee for roughly the same price as 7-11 et al.

Chris

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Starbucks
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 09:48:16 AM »
No work-related stories, but may I make a suggestion?

Repeat the order back to the customer so that he knows that you heard him correctly.  And count back the change; it's just nice to do.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Starbucks
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 10:33:19 AM »
I'll take a double-tall-white chocolate-no-whip-mocha please.

Just remember to smile to maximize your tips. As with all retail jobs, be sure to kiss your bosses hind quarters a lot, you dont want to sling coffee your whole life, and getting promoted should be your 1st objective.

Brad Johnson

• friend
Starbucks
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 10:46:08 AM »
They also make plain coffee for roughly the same price as 7-11 et al.
I don't buy coffee at 7-11 either. I've never understood why someone will drive a couple of miles and pay a buck a cup for coffee when you can brew it in your own kitchen for less than ten cents a cup. I have an RO system so water taste is not an issue. Plus I can brew it to the strength I want instead of having to choke down the first part of the cup just and diluting the rest to make it drinkable.

Even Farmer Brothers 100% arabica - $8 a pound locally - works out to less than fifty cents a pot and I can brew it in my kitchen in less than ten minutes and not even have to get out of my jammies. It tastes better, it's far cheaper, and way more convenient than any storebought java.

If I wanted to spend that kind of money just to be in the "in" crowd I'd put the $2 a day into a cookie jar. In a couple of years I could buy a Rolex. Cash.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Starbucks
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 10:50:44 AM »
Sometimes I am not near my kitchen.  At those times, buying coffe pre-made is the only option.

I define "sometimes" as 10-12 hours/day.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
Starbucks
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 10:58:35 AM »
Sometimes I am not near my kitchen.  At those times, buying coffe pre-made is the only option.

Option #1

Option #2

Option #3

Option #4

Brad
-HankB

auschip

• friend
Starbucks
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 11:08:13 AM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE2-979884dt.jpg
Do they make one of these that also holds a bakery fresh orange cranberry scone?  I love those things with a Grande quad no whip mocha.

Brad Johnson

• friend
Starbucks
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 11:18:37 AM »
Grande quad no whip mocha.
In english, please.

Brad

p.s. Wombat, I really am happy that you you've found a place you feel will be good to work with bennies and good advancement opportunities. Be diligent, be polite, be professional. Treat people in a way that they feel like you appreciate them being there. Make sure the bosses notice you for the right reasons. Miss no opportunity to casually mention your success when superiors are hanging around (just don't overdo it and sound like a pompous ass).
-HankB

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Starbucks
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 11:43:27 AM »
Brad:

Hmm, it seems you & I live with fundamentally different circumstances.  Yes, those items might all contain coffee for use during the day.

In theory, there is lots of stufff I'd like to take with me when I leave for work.  The frugal side of me wails when I do not bring, say, my lunch.

1. Work Clothes*

2. Food
Breakfast, lunch, & sometimes dinner.  I try hard to prepare them using disposable containers that I do not have to return.  Bfast at work saves me time, because the sooner I leave, the less time I am likely to spend in traffic.  Wife & kids get dinner at 1630, before I get home, so it doesn't matter if I eat dinner at work, on the road, or at home; I still am not eating with family.

3. Workout Bag
Workout clothes, toiletries, wo gear, wo log, towel, plastic sack for used clothes & towel

4. Laptop Bag*
Usual laptop accoutrements as well as extra ethernet cabling, cheap 5 port switch & PS, engineering journal, various & sundry office supplies

5. Firearm*
To include carry gear & reload

6. Other Stuff*
Keys, ink pen, wallet, utility knife

(* ALWAYS goes)

------------------------

Yep, what I need in my life is yet another thingy to take with me out the door, remember to clean out during the day (so it doesn't get too funky), remember to bring home, and remember to stuff in the dishwasher for the next day.  Oh, also, I would have to remember to make coffee every AM.  And maybe trade in my compact pickup so as to have more volume under cover in case it rains, so my truckload of daily stuff doesn't get ruined.

I'd love to be able to do all that, but time constraints are just that: constraints.  I already have cut into sleep to get done what already gets done.  Getting by on less than 6 hours/night would make me less effective over time.  I also spend less than 15min/night in front of the tube.  

I do make coffee at the house once a week, two pots at a time.  It goes into rubbermaid containers for the fridge & is drank (cold) while I feed my boy bfast (by me, not my boy).  Making coffee every AM takes time I do not have.

I am reminded of something a fellow in Bible Study once said, "If you're too busy to fish, you're too busy."  I don't fish, but I think they man had a point.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
Starbucks
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 11:48:06 AM »
I am reminded of something a fellow in Bible Study once said, "If you're too busy to fish, you're too busy."  I don't fish, but I think they man had a point.
Methinks you have identified the root of your problem.

Remind me - what's your profession? Maybe there's something around here that will net you better pay and still leave you a ton more time for the fam.

Brad
-HankB

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Starbucks
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 12:27:30 PM »
I think it's admirable that you want to work an additional job. I've applied at Starbucks before, but since we used to *own* a coffeehouse, I presumed that the PowersThatBe declined to make me an offer of employment in that dire hour of need since I'd need to be broken down and molded into their form.

Yeah, even though I have 10K of espresso machine in my kitchen I do occasionally drink a triple grande breve no foam latte when it's unavoidable. Personally, I don't care to support SB, but when it's the only game in town...

My money always tries to go to the independents. However, SB is really, realy good at consistency and moichandizing, and they certainly know how to corner a market and package it.  

My understanding is the hourly wage is better than average, they do have a health plan, but I know nothing of it. If your crew gets along it's wonderful, but coffeehosues are drama magnets...not to mention weird magnets.

Just remember, no matter how odd someone is, if they're spending five bucks a day every day there, that's adding up to a buttload of money and your pay is directly related to it. I learned to put up with a lot of weird that way.

...and yes, I do have friends in middle management and support in the regional SB corporate structure. I joke that they've sold out.  All in all, it seems to be an ok place to work.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Strings

Starbucks
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 01:47:23 PM »
A friend of mine currently works at a Starbucks. She says that you DEFINATELY want to work in one of the corp locations, not in a franchise. Pay's better, the insurance is better, there are stock options, etc...

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Starbucks
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 02:10:21 PM »
I do believe that starbucks is anti-gun.  They've given money to the anti-gun lobby.....
http://www.pinkpistols.org/antigun.html
http://www.keepandbeararms.com/Information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=917
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Starbucks
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 04:18:27 PM »
Bottom row, 3rd from the left. Coffee house propaganda.

An oldie, but still a good one.

http://www.illwillpress.com/vault.html

bob

HForrest

Starbucks
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 04:57:54 PM »
She says that you DEFINATELY want to work in one of the corp locations, not in a franchise. Pay's better, the insurance is better, there are stock options, etc...
Yes, I've heard this. A friend of a friend works for one in a shopping market (across the street from a freestanding one!), and they don't get the same advantages a corporate store employee does.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Starbucks
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2006, 06:08:14 AM »
Brad, I have something of the reverse problem... People keep trying to give me watered down swill, and they call it coffee...

"Gimme a venti breve latte, with a few extra shots, okay?"
Blog under construction