Author Topic: Obama's Acceptance Speech  (Read 7843 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Obama's Acceptance Speech
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 01:17:15 PM »
I just love the way McCain's people shouted down this "big, historic speech." 

They brilliantly and graciously put out an ad in which McCain congratulated Obama on the timing of the speech, and his historic candidacy.  That grabbed some media attention, and got replayed by news organizations.

Then, just before the speech, they hinted that McCain might be announcing his VP in the hours prior to the speech.  That distracted more of the media from their convention coverage.

Then, the morning after, while the media was supposed to be glossing on endlessly about Obama's big speech, the news started to leak out about Palin. 

Then, he announced it.

And the speech is no longer an issue.   cool
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 01:31:01 PM »
Allowing thousands of felons the vote with a wave of your hand, why deny them guns?

Funny, I never had to have a background check called in to NICS before being allowed to register to vote ...  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 05:00:42 PM »

They brilliantly and graciously put out an ad in which McCain congratulated Obama on the timing of the speech, and his historic candidacy.  That grabbed some media attention, and got replayed by news organizations.

Then, just before the speech, they hinted that McCain might be announcing his VP in the hours prior to the speech.  That distracted more of the media from their convention coverage.

Then, the morning after, while the media was supposed to be glossing on endlessly about Obama's big speech, the news started to leak out about Palin. 

Then, he announced it.

This is eerily reminiscient of when the Kerry and Gore campaigns were patting themselves on the back for having "proven" how dumb and mismanaged GW was on the campaign trail.

Yeah right.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 05:12:23 PM »
MSNBC people were saying that Obama should abandon the change motif and instead switch to embracing diversity and global interdependence.

What, like the UK's multiculturalism?

Oh, I hope he DOES go that way. He'd be rejected even harder. He's already Page 2 thanks to McCain's VP choice!

How does being several points ahead of the other party constitute "being rejected"?  Or do you mean "he'd be rejected maybe, if he takes this stand, as opposed to now, with his being accepted by measurable majorities..."?

And Micro, you are exactly right-there isn't really a capitalist presidential candidate either.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Kind of Blued

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 07:45:50 PM »
I couldn't help but capture the sitcom that was my Thursday evening. Here's what I was doing during Obama's speech last night.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 09:58:46 PM »
Doesn't count unless you've got a religious object in the picture.  Tongue

Then, he announced it.

This is eerily reminiscient of when the Kerry and Gore campaigns were patting themselves on the back for having "proven" how dumb and mismanaged GW was on the campaign trail.

Yeah right.

Negatory.  I'm talking about McCain's obvious success with this one operation.  I nowhere suggested that Obama's campaign was ill-managed, or that this one battle won the war. 

I really, really value people with a different perspective who throw cold water on us excitable conservatives, when we get out of hand.  But don't you get too excited about playing the role.  You overdo it sometimes. 

Having said all that, it's also obvious that McCain's campaign is getting better in the past few weeks.  It's OK to acknowledge that.

Uh oh.  Just read your post again, and I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.   undecided
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife