Author Topic: all you arachnophobes can relax now  (Read 12839 times)

Hutch

• friend
Re: all you arachnophobes can relax now
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 07:14:57 PM »
I saw slo-mo HD footage of a dozen or so of the Japanese hornets slaughtering honeybees in a hive.  It was absolutely horrifying.  They seemed to be invulnerable and remorseless, chomping bees in half at will.<shiver>.  Iirc, the killed ~12k bees, for no losses of their own.

Edit: found it on YouTube again.  30 hornets, 30 THOUSAND dead bees.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 07:20:47 PM by Hutch »
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 07:37:32 PM »
For anyone bothered by it. You can confirm you're relatively spider-free by going out on a dark night, up around your house and shining a bright tight beamed LED flashlight into the bushes and plants up against your house.

You can see the little dew-drop reflections of their eyes, and guesstimate how many there are.

You're welcome.  >:D
Let the grass get a little long along the side of your house, then weed eat.  See how many spiders are running around in the grass.  We used to have tons of Wolf type ground spiders around the house.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 07:41:46 PM »
You have to Capitalize "THEM!" if you are going to post that pic.   =D
Would have been too obvious . . . but it still didn't take long for someone to catch the reference.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 12:46:38 AM »
Ya just got to know the good guys from the vermin.
Spiders and snakes that eat other pests are good. Venomous spiders and snakes too close to the house get whacked.
I lost count of how many Blackwidow spiders I killed last year, it was more
Than 20 though. I'm sure they'll be back this year.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 01:19:26 AM »
Y'all are scared of little ol' wasps, spiders and snakes?
Chickens.

:laugh:

J/K. You all are simply sane, whereas I on the other hand...  =D
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 08:52:37 AM »

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 10:40:59 AM »

This is my bucket.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:31 AM »
Chickens.

Not so simply sane?

Orthogonally lucid?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 12:12:14 PM »
Chickens.

I don't like things that can sting or poison me.

I really don't like things that sting. I am not allergic (rather the blow up like a blimp and can't breath type), but I do have a pretty nasty reaction when I get stung. Not nice.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »
but I do have a pretty nasty reaction when I get stung. Not nice.

So do I. When I get stung by something the entire population of the offending species that is on my property is forfeit. The only exception would be honey bees, you get stung by a honey bee it's probably your fault.

Samuel Adams

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 12:59:11 PM »
Spiders and scorpions make me hike up my monkey skirt and run screaming.

Dealt with the Tarantula Hawks in CA during a year long oilfield hitch. Asked the safety gal what the sting was like, response was it feels like an electrical wire hits you twice, then you fall down and scream for half an hour. Filthy bastards
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:03:49 PM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »
<---- I will once again point out that Northern Illinois is poisonous snake, scorpion, tarantula hawk, giant spider, fire ant and huge wasp-free.  Yes, we have spiders, bees, wasps and hornets, but generally if you leave them alone, they leave you alone.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 02:11:41 PM »
<---- I will once again point out that Northern Illinois is poisonous snake, scorpion, tarantula hawk, giant spider, fire ant and huge wasp-free.  Yes, we have spiders, bees, wasps and hornets, but generally if you leave them alone, they leave you alone.

Wasps and hornets are not in the catagory of "generally leave you alone."

Everytime I get stung by a wasp it was in the house, flew into the ceiling and fell on me. And then it stung me.
And one little booboo with a hornet and the bastards chase you!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »

I will gladly deal with the above, IL has more dangerous critters running around the state, democrats.

Hornets. Yep. Those bastards will chase you, and they sound like a pissed off Huey. I was 16, clearing out brush around a deer stand near Apple Springs TX. Guess I disturb a hornet, the damn thing chased me 100ft or more, I was running to the truck for cover. He nailed me right between the shoulder blades. Knocked me to my knees. Hurt like hell.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 02:41:11 PM »
I will gladly deal with the above, IL has more dangerous critters running around the state, democrats.

Hornets. Yep. Those bastards will chase you, and they sound like a pissed off Huey. I was 16, clearing out brush around a deer stand near Apple Springs TX. Guess I disturb a hornet, the damn thing chased me 100ft or more, I was running to the truck for cover. He nailed me right between the shoulder blades. Knocked me to my knees. Hurt like hell.

And it's not like you really need to do all that much to piss them off. I've been just walking along and the wake in the air of my passing has set them off.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »
When I was about 11, I was at a relatives house, and was watching him mow the lawn, he had a small garden that was outlined in brick, that had been overtaken by the grass, so he just kicked the bricks out of the way and ran the mower over it too.

There was a wasps nest in there.

It was a side-ejection chute mower.

I was standing straight in line with the chute. So the wasps were not only angry, and in complete "defend the nest mode" but they were all blade/propeller driven right at me. It was at least 25 stings initially, then roughly 7 more over the course of the next hour or two as ones hidden in the folds of my clothes or under my shirt got bumped or agitated and stung me some more.

I didn't feel so good, shaky and was vomiting, but I was OK overall.

Funny, even back in the 80's people didn't take their kids to the ER for "every little thing".  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 04:09:32 PM »
When I was about 11, I was at a relatives house, and was watching him mow the lawn, he had a small garden that was outlined in brick, that had been overtaken by the grass, so he just kicked the bricks out of the way and ran the mower over it too.

There was a wasps nest in there.

It was a side-ejection chute mower.

I was standing straight in line with the chute. So the wasps were not only angry, and in complete "defend the nest mode" but they were all blade/propeller driven right at me. It was at least 25 stings initially, then roughly 7 more over the course of the next hour or two as ones hidden in the folds of my clothes or under my shirt got bumped or agitated and stung me some more.

I didn't feel so good, shaky and was vomiting, but I was OK overall.

Funny, even back in the 80's people didn't take their kids to the ER for "every little thing".  :laugh:

Reminds me of a story about my boss, katie.

She grew up on a horse farm that specialized in Eventing. She also had her own tractor, and one of her favorite things to do was "jump" her tractor down a bank jump, next to the barn and in full veiw of the road and the outdoor ring. One day, she was happly driving off the bank and landed her tractor on a bees nest. Hundreds of the suckers and they managed to get inside her clothes.
Her sister came running, and started trying to srip Katie to get the bees off her, but Katie refused and fought back because she would rather get stung by angry bees then have the cute riding instructor and anyone passing by on the road see her nekkid.
 ;/

Morals of the story: Don't give an eleven year old a tractor, and don't expect her to strip, even if she is in severe pain if a cute guy can see her.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »
Aww, you just need a hug!

<shudders> Um, no. I don't.

If you're afraid of spiders and read an arachnophobia thread you have no one but yourself to blame...

The title implied there was some sort of miraculous discovery that would eradicate spiders from the face of the planet forever. 
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 05:08:40 PM »
<shudders> Um, no. I don't.

The title implied there was some sort of miraculous discovery that would eradicate spiders from the face of the planet forever. 

Face your fears and try AJ's trick.

We all know, thanks to Ben, you have plenty of flashlights to choose from.
 >:D

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 10:34:37 PM »
I'll be over here in the corner putting together a flamethrower in between fits of the heebies *and* the jeebies....

You got room in that corner for another wrench turner to help with that flamethrower?  I'll watch your back, if you watch mine!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2012, 11:46:21 PM »
.... The title implied there was some sort of miraculous discovery that would eradicate spiders from the face of the planet forever.

Ummm, no.  You inferred that all on your own.

The title states that aracnophobes can now relax.  The implication being that fear of arachnids is, in comparison, not such a big thing.  The featured wasp is, however, such a big thing.  A freaking big thing.  A freaking big thing that can probably fly faster than anyone can run and therefore capable of not only catching up with someone but maintaining the chase whilst utilizing the wasp's ability to sting repeatedly as opposed to, fer instance, the bee's loss of stinger and subsequent death due to having it's guts ripped out as punishment for stinging you.

What you imply may not be what I inferred.  As an editor you ought to know better (he boldly says from a position of cover several states away).

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »
The summer before my senior year, I was helping a friend put up a dipole antenna on the wooded easement below his house one evening about dusk.  While holding a length of coax, I looked up to see my small dog leaping around in a curious fashion.  I thought to myself, "The last time I saw her do that, she was being stung by bees."
Then my leg was on fire.  I looked down at my leg, fully expecting to see it on fire, and was baffled by the lack of flames.  It was on fire, I could feel it burning like hell, but no flames?  Then I finally put it together.  I was standing over a ground hornet's nest, and they had gone up my pant leg.
More to the story about a suddenly amazing athletic ability, disappointed paramedics, a cop that knew where I lived, and being naked on the back patio in full view of the neighborhood.
Suffice it to say, 30-plus hornet stings [bleeping] hurt.  A lot.

ETA:  In keeping with the theme of the OP, here's the little fellow I caught in my garage last year.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:38:18 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 11:14:22 AM »
Ummm, no.  You inferred that all on your own.

The title states that aracnophobes can now relax.  The implication being that fear of arachnids is, in comparison, not such a big thing.  The featured wasp is, however, such a big thing.  A freaking big thing.  A freaking big thing that can probably fly faster than anyone can run and therefore capable of not only catching up with someone but maintaining the chase whilst utilizing the wasp's ability to sting repeatedly as opposed to, fer instance, the bee's loss of stinger and subsequent death due to having it's guts ripped out as punishment for stinging you.

What you imply may not be what I inferred.  As an editor you ought to know better (he boldly says from a position of cover several states away).

stay safe.

*Juvenile response deleted* Skidmark. You wear me out. Though the image of you being chased by a giant flying wasp was entirely amusing.  >:D

And damn you RKL. You posted that same photo last summer and I don't find it any more entertaining now than I did then.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 08:45:31 PM »
Not so simply sane?

Orthogonally lucid?

:lol:

Out of all the forementioned phobia-inspiring critters, I've never had a wasp for a pet.
Hmmm...
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2012, 12:51:07 PM »
*Juvenile response deleted* Skidmark. You wear me out. Though the image of you being chased by a giant flying wasp was entirely amusing.  >:D

And damn you RKL. You posted that same photo last summer and I don't find it any more entertaining now than I did then.

I got a new one for this morning.
I was moving some lumber around and felt something wiggle under my hand.

Samuel Adams