Author Topic: Mexico Finds a .50 cal Browing  (Read 8289 times)

Waitone

• friend
Mexico Finds a .50 cal Browing
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:05:29 PM »
So now the Mexican federales find a .50 cal Browning.  Proof the US has to do something about Mexico's problem.

I wonder if it was the same .50 cal that was used against the US Border Patrol several years ago. 
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/world/6374078.html
It's something for border czar to worry about
Strongest gun yet seized from cartel by Mexican authorities
By DANE SCHILLER HOUSTON CHRONICLE
April 15, 2009, 12:56PM

On the very day President Barack Obama appointed former U.S. attorney Alan Bersin as a border czar to combat drug cartels, Mexican police announced they confiscated a U.S.-made machine gun that could penetrate steel from a mile away, likely the most destructive weapon of its type ever seized in Mexico.

Together, the two moves signal the ever increasing strength of cartel warfare — and the task ahead for the U.S. and Mexican governments.

The discovery of the .50-caliber Browning machine gun, which Mexican authorities said was mounted in the bed of a pickup and has a rate of fire of 800 rounds a minute, also came just days before Obama’s first trip to Mexico.

The White House is promising cooperation with Mexico, and both Obama and Mexican President Felipe Calderon, are under pressure to slow the drug running, gun smuggling and violence that threatens Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California.

Bersin, of San Diego, will coordinate American policy on immigration, guns, drugs and bulk cash shipments into Mexico, a Department of Homeland Security official told the Houston Chronicle.

The discovery of the weapon in the northern Mexico state of Sonora serves notice that cartels are ready for all-out war. Mexican authorities have not yet said how it got into the country.

The gun, which fires rounds nearly 6 inches long, was discovered by federal police on routine patrol when they spotted the truck parked outside a house. A woman was arrested at the scene, and police said the Browning, part of a grenade launcher and other weaponry have been linked to the Beltran Leyva drug cartel.

The Beltran Leyva group is one of Mexico’s older syndicates, and operates with a lower profile than the Gulf or Sinaloa cartels, which often grab headlines.
Gun’s source unknown

Mike Vigil, the Drug Enforcement Administration’s former chief of international operations, said the weapon is capable of “a massacre … they were probably waiting for a major offensive.”

Vigil suspected the weapon belonged to the Mexican military, but was obtained by corrupting military officers.

The issue of U.S.-made weapons ending up in the hands of cartels has gained attention in recent months and is expected to be part of the discussion between Obama and Calderon.

Mexican government officials have said repeatedly that if the U.S. government wants them to curb the northward flow of drugs, America will have to curb the southward flow of weapons.
Federal blitz planned

The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, as well as Texas firearms dealers, say the big gun could have taken many paths to the drug traffickers, including having been bought on the military black market.

“Saying it is rare would be correct,” ATF spokeswoman Franceska Perot said. “This is a high-powered weapon.”

The gun could be used to shoot down an aircraft if mounted correctly, but it is made for use against personnel or vehicles, Perot said.

Federal gun agents are planning to blitz Houston and the southern half of Texas starting later this month with a temporary army of 100 additional inspectors and investigators aimed at rooting out weapons traffickers.

That force is scheduled to be permanently beefed up later this year by other agents, some of whom are currently in the ATF academy.

Perot said the coming move will bolster current investigations as well as tear into a backlog of some 700 U.S.-purchased weapons confiscated in Mexico after being used by drug cartel gunmen.

What I find interesting is that the problem is the gun's existence in Mexico, not that the gun was found in the custody of a drug gang in Mexico.  Whatcha wanna bet the US never gets the serial number?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Mexico Finds a .50 cal Browing
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 08:32:44 PM »
I have an idea.

Since the US is now a menace to Mexican border security, shouldn't Mexico build a fence on the border?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:34:33 PM »
How many US allies used the 50 cal?  I thought quite a few did.  We gaves arms to all sorts of people over the last 60 years.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Reifen

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »
Pfft, silly people.

Obviously that was bought using the Gun Show Loophole.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 08:57:37 PM »
It's probably one we sold to them.
Look, tiny text!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 09:41:53 AM »
It's probably one we GAVE to them.

Fixed it for you...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 09:47:23 AM »
The photos of the bust showed a .30 cal Browning mounted on a .50 tripod, with a .50 rifle nearby.  It looks like they are again "altering" reality to suit their needs.

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 12:56:40 PM »
Vigil suspected the weapon belonged to the Mexican military, but was obtained by corrupting military officers.

The issue of U.S.-made weapons ending up in the hands of cartels has gained attention in recent months and is expected to be part of the discussion between Obama and Calderon.

Ok can anyone say logical disconnect?

The gun is likely from the Mexican Militarys armory. Ok
The gun got stolen by corrupt Mexican military officials. Alright
???????
Its the U.S.A.'s fault because we manufactured it. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?!?

How the heck do they spin that? Why is this our fault they should tell Mexican's to stop being corrupt, pull their country together and stop blaming us. Their like disfunctional children, cry because your country sucks and blame others for it even though its your citizens murdering your citizens. US citizens arn't going down their shooting up the place, its your own people! Good job Mexico, I used to have sympathy for you but you've pissed it away by not doing a damn thing to fix your country but to blame America.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 01:18:28 PM »
The photos of the bust showed a .30 cal Browning mounted on a .50 tripod, with a .50 rifle nearby.  It looks like they are again "altering" reality to suit their needs.
I'm thinking that's a different bust. But the report came from the Mexican authorities, after all. Someone could have 'accidentally' switched numbers around.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 01:21:13 PM »
Take a close look at the photo-op . . . there are a couple of pictures leaning against the front of the table, that appear to show a pickup with *something* in the back; the photos aren't clear enough to see exactly what, but this may explain:  
. . . the .50-caliber Browning machine gun, which Mexican authorities said was mounted in the bed of a pickup . . .
The last time I saw a .50 M2 for sale was at a local Class III dealer . . . aside from the paperwork, the asking price was over $20,000 . . . plus tax.

I doubt if the Mexican drug lords or their lackeys complete the required paperwork.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 03:21:03 PM »
Just noticed the photo of the truck.  Assuming that it really is a .50 with a gunshield, it didn't come from anywhere but a Mexican armory. 

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 03:48:11 PM »
I'm sure that AG Holder has watched "Commando" enough times to know that all army surplus stores have a 'back room'.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 03:53:32 PM »
You mean your truck gun isn't a Ma Deuce?   =D

I'm convinced that the intent here with all these Mexican Gun stories is to simply wear us down and the American public in general, so we say "Oh, jeez, fine!  Ban whatever you're after and shut up about it already!" just to end the story cycle.

To the intelligent and informed, all it does is make the ATF, DoD and Mexican agencies and army look really bad.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 09:18:51 PM »
The last time I saw a .50 M2 for sale was at a local Class III dealer . . . aside from the paperwork, the asking price was over $20,000 . . . plus tax.

Probably a dealer sample. The semi-auto clones gor about $12K, no idea what a transferable one would be but it may involve six figures.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 09:54:05 AM »
Probably a dealer sample. The semi-auto clones gor about $12K, no idea what a transferable one would be but it may involve six figures.

Around 30K

http://www.impactguns.com/store/MGT-003794.html

chump change really.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 10:06:56 AM »
seeing the M2 has been around since WW1, and we, the USA, has given mehico a bunch of them, I am not surprised that if one poped up, mehico would blame the US for it.  After all, it is the best 50 cal ever made...chris3

agricola

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 11:49:54 AM »
There are technicals in Mexico now? 

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 05:23:30 PM »
It would be lovely if we had a chorus of conservative lawmakers saying loudly and clearly to all interested government agencies that we are not going to penalize millions of law-abiding American gun owners because maybe there's a renegade FFL or two conspiring with his carnales at the border or a few guys who'll do anything for a buck.  That is NOT the basis for any broad-brush domestic policy.  No one who matters is fooled by this kind of transparent shuck and jive.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 10:15:57 PM »
A full auto .50 cal bought through legal channels in the US and illegally exported to Mexico?  I think not.  It'd be far more cost effective to hire Mexican machinists to build em from scratch.  And, honestly, it's probably cheaper yet to just bribe someone in the Mexican military to leave the gate unlocked some night...

crt360

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 12:49:18 AM »
There are technicals in Mexico now? 

It's nothing new.  From what I've seen (although I haven't been there in a long time), the traditional Mexican military/police vehicle is a pickup with a handful of soldiers/police riding in the bed.  Some have gun mounts.
For entertainment purposes only.