Author Topic: Sometimes You Just Gotta Let It Go  (Read 1492 times)

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
Sometimes You Just Gotta Let It Go
« on: February 27, 2009, 11:14:21 PM »
This is from the news at Comcast's website.  As long as I've been around it still amazes me how stupid people can be when given the chance.

Cops: Man late for flight claims to be air marshal

The Associated Press
Fri Feb 27, 3:43 PM EST

Authorities say a man running late for a flight flashed a fake police badge to airline workers and claimed to be an air marshal so they would let him through the gate. Miami-Dade police said a 49-year-old man was booked on a flight to Los Angeles Wednesday night, but the gate had already closed and the plane was departing. After he showed the fake badge and claimed to be an air marshal, employees stopped the plane and let him board.

But real air marshals already on the plane recognized his fake badge and kicked him off.

Not content with avoiding arrest, police said the man went to an airport bar and began loudly complaining about missing his flight. That's when airport police arrested him.

The man was charged with impersonating a law enforcement officer.

Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com/

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:19:38 PM by Uncle Bubba »
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Regolith

• friend
Re: Sometimes You Just Gotta Let It Go
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:26:28 PM »
I'm surprised the real Air Marshal didn't arrest his ass right there the first time.  He must have been in a charitable mood.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 07:56:54 AM »
I'm surprised the real Air Marshal didn't arrest his ass right there the first time.  He must have been in a charitable mood.
They probably didn't want to get off the plane, maybe on the way home or something.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 08:42:10 AM »
That guy would have been able to get off ridiculously easy if he hadn't made a fuss after having his bluff called. Idiot.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 09:01:35 AM »
Should have flashed his CCW badge, instead.   :cool:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 10:04:45 AM »
flash badge
board aircraft
win
 :O

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

lone_gunman

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 10:10:23 AM »
It looks to me like the Air Marshall who through him off the plane, but did not arrest him, was not doing his job keeping the airways safe.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 10:18:07 AM »
They probably didn't want to get off the plane, maybe on the way home or something.

That, and didn't want to hold up everyone else on the plane, was what I was thinking. Probably told him something like, "We'll give you a break this time, slick, so this doesn't cause everybody else on board a lot of grief. Just put that Junior G-Man badge away, go back and get another flight, and don't be such an *sshole next time." 

This reminded me of the man here in Atlanta's airport shortly after 9/11 who went back to the check-in counter for something, then went the wrong way on a stairway and concourse to get back to his gate. The entire airport was shut down and the terminals evacuated. When he was found he said he did it didn't want to leave his 12-year-old son to fly alone. Turned out the boy's adult uncle was with him and the dad just didn't want to miss the flight to a Georgia Bulldogs football game.

Self-important pr*cks, the both of them.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 10:26:58 AM »
It looks to me like the Air Marshall who through him off the plane, but did not arrest him, was not doing his job keeping the airways safe.

Zero tolerance, right? Rules are rules, and all that.

The Air Marshal (who threw him off the plane) used his judgement, decided that the guy was just a self-important pr*ck (see above) and not a threat, and acted accordingly. How would holding up that planeload of people, and more down the line because of the delay there, have "...[kept] the airways safe."?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:04:42 AM by Uncle Bubba »

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 10:51:45 AM »
i flew from dulles in december 01  things were still a might tense.  some fool who was a vip inj his own mind decided he was too important to wait in the security line and loudly told the world as he started to stride around and past them. he ended up on his back with the muzzle of an m-16 in his face. the nice guardsmen wasn't as impressed with his importance. that was the best thing i'd seen since the af bird went in the o club pool at andrews for pushing his luck
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I