Author Topic: Obama: Cambridge police acted stupidly  (Read 20114 times)

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
Re: Obama: Cambridge police acted stupidly
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 03:24:14 PM »
This is the point though, there is zero collaborative evidence that he was a "ranting screaming idiot".  To me this issue is not about race, it is about a guy with  badge sending a guy to jail because he had hurt his feelings.  Boo-hoo. (edit: As an officer who has been given authority over other citizens, having a thick skin needs to be a #1 priority.  Rude is not illegal, it is too easy to abuse the authority that goes with a badge.)

Unless there is some sort of evidence that Gates was actually fomenting some sort of riot, I can see why the officer could be called, "stupid".

Yes there is. The other officers on the scene (grain of salt there) and neighbors said Gates was rude, abusive, and loud.

One of the few comments the arresting officer has made about it was that he "was surprised that a man of Gates' age and education would make the comments he did about [the officer's] mother." I've only read one article that included that quote from him. I'd like to know if anyone else there heard it and would be willing to relate what Gates said.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 03:25:32 PM »
Come on, Bubba.

You know those "eye witnesses" are just conspiring to keep the black man down...  :rolleyes:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 03:33:18 PM »
i nread that gates own house had been broken into a couple weeks ago.  door hadn't been fixed yet.  that could/would color my response if i was a cop who showed up and there was a damaged door.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 04:10:32 PM »
Is performing mouth-to mouth resuscitation on a black man the behavior of a racist?

"BOSTON -- The officer who arrested Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. stirring a national debate about race relations in America was the same officer who tired to resuscitate Boston Celtics star Reggie Lewis when he collapsed 16 years ago.

Sgt. James Crowley told the Boston Herald that he gave mouth-to mouth resuscitation when Lewis, an African-American, died 16 years ago...." The officer then worked at Brandeis University.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/education/20151798/detail.html
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 04:12:32 PM »
It also just hit on Yahoo News that the officer is a department expert on racial profiling and taught the class at the academy. This should get interesting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 04:15:23 PM »
Yes there is. The other officers on the scene (grain of salt there) and neighbors said Gates was rude, abusive, and loud.

One of the few comments the arresting officer has made about it was that he "was surprised that a man of Gates' age and education would make the comments he did about [the officer's] mother." I've only read one article that included that quote from him. I'd like to know if anyone else there heard it and would be willing to relate what Gates said.

Haha.  If they have eye witnesses that can prove he really was a raving screaming madman shaking his fist under the cops nose, then at least I can understand why he would be mad.  I had not heard that up to this point.

Since I imagine someone will be sued about this, we can bring it up again when all the evidence is made public.

Mike Irwin: Although your comments have been snide and rude, I do agree with you.  I specifically said that this was my opinion, not fact.  The officer also had an opinion.  The difference is he threw someone in a squad car and took them to jail because of it.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 04:20:53 PM »
It also just hit on Yahoo News that the officer is a department expert on racial profiling and taught the class at the academy. This should get interesting.

Wouldn't it be amazing if one of them just came out and apologized for being a angry idiot?

Not that I think that will happen...but I can dream.  Instead there will be a giant lawsuit, the professor will look like a jerk with a persecution complex and the cop will look like a member of the KKK Gestapo.  And no-one will ever know what really took place.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 04:29:27 PM »
In my view, it's becoming clearer and clearer who should apologize, but that's not going to happen because he's convinced that this is just another case of rampant racism.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 04:33:16 PM »
In my view, it's becoming clearer and clearer who should apologize, but that's not going to happen because he's convinced that this is just another case of rampant racism.

What's funny is he's right, but the cuplrit of that racism is not who he believes it to be...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 04:34:44 PM »
Silly little forum toad! You know it's not possible for a minority to be a racist!

I'm ashamed at you!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »
Silly little forum toad! You know it's not possible for a minority to be a racist!

I'm ashamed at you!

<hangs head in shame>

You're right, I forgot that.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »
from the last little chunks of info involving the officers training and past record, i have a difficult time believing that he was doing anything other then his job. and i agree with uncle bubba, screaming and ranting in veiw of the public is a pretty good indication that you may get in a little trouble with the law.

this sounds like reverse racism to me, and unfortunalty, given the current atmospher in our country i think we may be seeing a lot more of it.

and on a side note: wow  :O
some of the attitude from our newest memeber is a bit disconserting.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 05:01:32 PM »
When the Cops Are Called In, Anger Is a Dangerous Weapon to Brandish

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/21/AR2009072102782.html
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 05:15:35 PM »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 05:20:45 PM »
What's sad is a model officer is now labeled a racist and whatever good he has done or is to do is gone.  He's the bigot cop/pig.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 05:24:29 PM »
from the last little chunks of info involving the officers training and past record, i have a difficult time believing that he was doing anything other then his job. and i agree with uncle bubba, screaming and ranting in veiw of the public is a pretty good indication that you may get in a little trouble with the law.

this sounds like reverse racism to me, and unfortunalty, given the current atmospher in our country i think we may be seeing a lot more of it.

and on a side note: wow  :O
some of the attitude from our newest memeber is a bit disconserting.

I would, of course, love some elaboration.  Perhaps in a private message so the discussion is not derailed.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 05:30:37 PM »
Obama was involved because a reporter asked him a direct question about this incident, since the man is a personal acquaintance of Obama's, obviously.  I don't see how that is innapropriate.

Yes his comments were totally innaprorpriate.
The approprirate thing to have said is something along the lines of  - "Yes I'm aware of it but I do not know all the details and it would be innappropriate for me to coment about an incident that is still being investigated."

The teleprompter in Chief did nothing with the commet he made but casue serious damage to the reputaion of the cambirdge poilce dept. and may well cost the lives of officers and citizens if the ridiculous mess keeps getting stoked and manages to boil over.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 05:42:28 PM »
You know it's not possible for a minority to be a racist!

Some people really act like they believe this.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2009, 05:47:37 PM »
Yes [Obama's] comments were totally innaprorpriate.
The approprirate thing to have said is something along the lines of  - "Yes I'm aware of it but I do not know all the details and it would be innappropriate for me to coment about an incident that is still being investigated." 

Exactly.  It is thoroughly inappropriate for a President of the U.S. to come out against the police in a local matter, which is still being sorted out.  He admitted that he didn't have all the facts, but failed to keep quiet in his ignorance.  (And I would know a thing or two about that. :lol: )
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2009, 05:55:05 PM »
He admitted that he didn't have all the facts, but failed to keep quiet in his ignorance. 

Are you talking about this incident in particular, or the world in general?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2009, 06:01:33 PM »
"To me this issue is not about race, it is about a guy with  badge sending a guy to jail because he had hurt his feelings.  Boo-hoo."

Great. You have an opinion. For which there is absolutely supporting evidence.

Now if you buy a cookie, you'll have a snack, too.

<Gigglesnort>

When I heard it was HLG Jr, my mind immediately flashed up the scene of the two muck-digging peasants and King Aurthur from Monty Python's Holy Grail.  Here we go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o76WQzVJ434
"HELP HELP I'M BEING REPRESSED!"

Heck, the HLGs of the world LIVE for this sort of situation:
1. No real danger or discrimination involved
2. Able to grandstand & toss feces accusations of racism

If racism & discrimination don't exist in enough quantity, go out and make some of your own.  Happens on college campuses with dismaying regularity.

The LEO in question has witnesses to back him up as well as the original citizen who called the potential burglary in.  Toss in the buggered front door and I suspect he'll prevail.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Kwelz

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2009, 06:44:21 PM »
I hate to say this, but if you come into my house without permission the least you are going to get is nasty words.  Officer or civilian, you have no right to be there.  I understand why these officers responded to the place, but at the point they realized it was the guys house they needed to leave.  I don't care what he was saying to them. 

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2009, 07:06:06 PM »
how much do you hate it that they were outside leaving with the "poor man" following going ape?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Kwelz

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2009, 07:12:11 PM »
As long as he was on his property then I don't care.  Now the second he was on public property he is in trouble. 

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2009, 07:53:18 PM »
I hate to say this, but if you come into my house without permission the least you are going to get is nasty words.  Officer or civilian, you have no right to be there.  I understand why these officers responded to the place, but at the point they realized it was the guys house they needed to leave.  I don't care what he was saying to them. 

Not to put too fine a point in it, but you are wrong. At least in a way.

If the police have received a call about a possible break-in at your home they have reason to investigate the matter. That may mean entering, with or without your permission. When they put on the badge they're given the responsibility to use their judgement by society.

That said, if the police did come to your house on a call like this one, would you identify yourself and answer their questions politely or would you immediately begin to scream and shout and make threats just because they were at your door? According to the witnesses that's exactly what Gates did.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.