Author Topic: Obama: Cambridge police acted stupidly  (Read 20121 times)

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
Re: Obama: Cambridge police acted stupidly
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2009, 07:58:23 PM »
When the Cops Are Called In, Anger Is a Dangerous Weapon to Brandish

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/21/AR2009072102782.html

Most sense I've seen from a Post writer in a long time.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2009, 08:11:02 PM »
I'm in the camp that believes the truth lies somewhere in the middle of the "he said, he said" clutter.
I would hate to see a decent police officer get railroaded.
I also know that a person can be arrested no matter how polite they are even when on their own property.

What I do agree with is that I find Obama's comment inappropriate.
A simple, "Let me get the facts first before I comment on that" would've been much better than "The Cambridge police acted stupidly."
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2009, 08:30:27 PM »
Not to put too fine a point in it, but you are wrong. At least in a way.

If the police have received a call about a possible break-in at your home they have reason to investigate the matter. That may mean entering, with or without your permission. When they put on the badge they're given the responsibility to use their judgement by society.

precisly. they have to investigate and if your house is the crime scene then thats were they gotta go... *shrug*

a lot of this is 'he said, he said.' but so far (considering the info brought forth) i'm am tentiteivly on the officers side. if Gates was following them as they were leaving and still ranting and raving then obviously, he doesn't have his head on straight. i presume this happened in a suberban or city area where passerbys are readily witnessing this display and, just like if your playing your music too loud or having a wild and crazy party, yelling and screaming at someone (including cops) can get your butt in the joint on a public disterbance call.

furthermore, if you want to find incidents of racial disputes between cops and civilians to discuss the issue, please don't show up with a dispute between a black proffessor of african american studies and a white cop in charge of training his fellows not to racially profile. this example is predisposed to that argument simply do to the backgrounds of the invovled. (does that make sense? if it doesn't then please say something and i will try to explain it better. words and me are not getting along today)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2009, 08:37:40 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, a word or two from someone who apparently knows of which he speaks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOx6OM01M5M .

CAUTION: NSFW LANGUAGE

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2009, 08:41:56 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, a word or two from someone who apparently knows of which he speaks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOx6OM01M5M .

CAUTION: NSFW LANGUAGE

stay safe.

skidmark

hey, skidmark, can you post a synopis for those of us who are youtube inpaired. (my &^**()^^$%%^& computer won't go there.   =( )
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2009, 08:52:43 PM »
I'll give you the bullet points from the recap at the end:

- Obey the Law
- Use common sense
- Stop immediately
- Turn that **** (loud music) off
- Be polite
- Shut the **** up
- Get a white friend
- Don't ride with a mad woman

The whole video is hilarious, though.  :laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2009, 08:58:04 PM »
I'll give you the bullet points from the recap at the end:

- Obey the Law
- Use common sense
- Stop immediately
- Turn that **** (loud music) off
- Be polite
- Shut the **** up
- Get a white friend
- Don't ride with a mad woman

The whole video is hilarious, though.  :laugh:

*sigh* i always miss the good stuff. oh well... sounds pretty relevent.

Kwelz

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2009, 10:22:50 PM »
In my home frankly I can talk to people how I want.  Would I have been a lot more respectful to start?  Probably so depending on how they were treating me.  I would also have shown them my ID is they gave me good reason.  Then I would have politely told them get the heck out of my house.  If they did not then they would be getting similar treatment to what these guys got.  I love the police, many of my close friends are officers at various levels but I also believe that my rights trump their hurt feelings. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2009, 11:07:21 PM »

Heck, the HLGs of the world LIVE for this sort of situation:
1. No real danger or discrimination involved
2. Able to grandstand & toss feces accusations of racism

If racism & discrimination don't exist in enough quantity, go out and make some of your own.  Happens on college campuses with dismaying regularity.

The more we learn about the incident the more clear it becomes that Gates is a professional race-baiter looking for a little career boost.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:44:26 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2009, 11:29:12 PM »
Story time!

A few years ago, I was at my parents' house in the country. I was there all by my white self, doing some outside work (in ratty clothes and a black watch cap) when a police car came down the road.  As he passed the house, I put down my wheelbarrow full of gravel and began walking down the road in the opposite direction.  He turned around, and asked me who I was, if I lived there (I did) and if I could show some ID.  Yeah, I felt a little harassed and annoyed, but I did what he asked.  He ran the plates of the cars in the driveway and everything checked out.

He told me he suspected something, because I took off just as he showed up. I told him that they had just re-surfaced the road, and when I saw him coming down the road, I remembered that I had wanted to take a look at it. That sounds a little odd, but that's what happened. I don't remember whether he apologized or not, but he didn't seem terribly regretful for his "harassment." No smile creased his stony demeanor. 

As he was about to leave, I thanked him for keeping an eye on things.  

Both of us were (and probably still are) white. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2009, 12:01:14 AM »
I think I now agree that Obama should have been more careful with what he said.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2009, 01:00:34 AM »
Ryan: US President acted stupidly

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2009, 01:21:10 AM »
If the police have to come and get you, they're bringing an ass kicking with them...  :laugh: :police:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 06:05:39 AM »
Saw more discussion about this on TV . . . still don't have all the details, but one thing stood out: the "racist" cop spparently DID NOT use his nightstick, taser, or pepper spray, on the professor, the way you'd expect if he was a closet Klansman looking for an excuse to harass a black man.

I'm starting to lean in favor of the cop . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 09:39:51 AM »
I'm in the camp that believes the truth lies somewhere in the middle of the "he said, he said" clutter.
I would hate to see a decent police officer get railroaded.
I also know that a person can be arrested no matter how polite they are even when on their own property.

What I do agree with is that I find Obama's comment inappropriate.
A simple, "Let me get the facts first before I comment on that" would've been much better than "The Cambridge police acted stupidly."

+1. It will be interesting to see if bystanders etc, have commentary on Gates behavior.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2009, 09:50:44 AM »
The president's main stream media is using this to distract the public from something else that the politicians are doing.  In addition, this is a prime example of the president sticking his nose into something that is not his concern due to his position as president.....chris3

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2009, 09:56:38 AM »
When he was asked by the media about Obama's comments, Crowley said, "I didn't vote for him."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2009, 02:43:36 PM »
I began leaning heavily in favor of the cop the second Obama got involved.  :laugh:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2009, 03:08:53 PM »
One of the radio mouths sadi that thre is supposed to be an open mike recording of the entire exchange between the cop and Gates. I sure hope there is and it backs ot cop to the hilt.
Anyone else hear anything about this and those that would know is it even possible for an officer to do this?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2009, 03:27:41 PM »

Black officer at scholar's home supports arrest
AP

Buzz up!10250 votes
    * Send
          o Email
          o IM
          o Delicious
          o Digg
          o Facebook
          o Fark
          o Newsvine
          o Reddit
          o StumbleUpon
          o Technorati
          o Yahoo! Bookmarks
    * Print

Cambridge Police Sgt. James Crowley listens to questions from members of the AP – Cambridge Police Sgt. James Crowley listens to questions from members of the media at his home in Natick, …

* Harvard Scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. Slideshow:Harvard Scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr.
    * Mass. police unions ask Obama for apology Play Video Video:Mass. police unions ask Obama for apology AP
    * Racial Profiling or Misunderstanding? Play Video Video:Racial Profiling or Misunderstanding? ABC News

By BOB SALSBERG, Associated Press Writer Bob Salsberg, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 18 mins ago

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – A black police officer who was at Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s home when the black Harvard scholar was arrested says he fully supports how his white fellow officer handled the situation.

Sgt. Leon Lashley says Gates was probably tired and surprised when Sgt. James Crowley demanded identification from him as officers investigated a report of a burglary. Lashley says Gates' reaction to Crowley was "a little bit stranger than it should have been."

Asked if Gates should have been arrested, Lashley said supported Crowley "100 percent."

Gates has said he was the victim of racial profiling.

President Barack Obama says the officers "acted stupidly." Lashley called Obama's remark "unfortunate" and said he should be allowed to take it back.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) — A multiracial group of police officers on Friday stood with the white officer who arrested a prominent black Harvard scholar and asked President Barack Obama and Gov. Deval Patrick to apologize for comments the union leaders called insulting.

Obama said Wednesday that Cambridge police "acted stupidly" during the disorderly conduct arrest of his friend, Henry Louis Gates Jr., in his own home near Harvard University. Gov. Deval Patrick said Gates' arrest was "every black man's nightmare."

Dennis O'Connor, president of the Cambridge Police Superior Officers Association, said Obama's remarks were "misdirected" and the Cambridge police "deeply resent the implication" that race was a factor in the arrest.

"President Obama said the actions of the CPD were stupid and linked the event to the history of racial profiling in America," O'Connor said. "The facts of the case suggested that the president used the right adjective but directed it to the wrong party."

Officers responded to Gates' home on July 16 after a woman called 911 and said she saw two black men with backpacks trying to force open the front door. The woman, Lucia Whalen, has not responded to repeated attempts for comment.

Gates has said he returned from an overseas trip, found the door jammed, and that he and his driver attempted to force it open. Gates went through the back door and was inside the house on the phone with the property's management company when police arrived.

Police said he flew into a verbal rage after Sgt. James Crowley, who is white, asked him to show identification to prove he should be in the home. Police say Gates accused Crowley of racial bias, refused to calm down and was arrested. The charge was dropped Tuesday, but Gates has demanded an apology, calling his arrest a case of racial profiling.

Gates, 58, maintains he turned over identification when asked to do so by the police. He said Crowley arrested him after the professor followed him to the porch, repeatedly demanding the sergeant's name and badge number because he was unhappy over his treatment.

Crowley has refused to apologize, saying he followed protocol.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2009, 04:28:38 PM »
Reuters is now reporting that Obama called the officer in question and spoke with him at length.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »
Reuters is now reporting that Obama called the officer in question and spoke with him at length.

Obama regrets choice of words

Also, I note with this statement by Obama that he is incapable of apologizing for anything he has done and admitting fault.

Nope, he just "gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge police department and Sgt. Crowley specifically. And I could've calibrated those words differently."

As with most liberals, he isn't wrong; he was misunderstood.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2009, 05:00:43 PM »
When he was asked by the media about Obama's comments, Crowley said, "I didn't vote for him."

Ah, so he IS a racist. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2009, 05:24:31 PM »
Did the cop ever say that Gates had never asked for his name or badge number?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »
nope  as a matter of fact he addresses that in his interview. there's a link on rev left i bet
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I