Author Topic: Obama: Cambridge police acted stupidly  (Read 20125 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Obama: Cambridge police acted stupidly
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2009, 06:06:47 PM »
He forced his way into his house (granted, it's his)
Neighbor does the neighborly thing when a house is being broken into and calls the police.
Police respond
He (at least initially) refuses to show ID
Instigates and begin yelling at the cop
Eventually it gets bad enough to be considered disorderly conduct and he is arrested

How is this racism?

If I lock myself out of the house and have to break in I certainly hope and responding officers expect more proof then my word that I do in fact live here.  Had Mr. Racebater simply done so, he likely would have received a have a nice day and that would have been the end of it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2009, 06:38:37 PM »
In my home frankly I can talk to people how I want.  Would I have been a lot more respectful to start?  Probably so depending on how they were treating me.  I would also have shown them my ID is they gave me good reason.

"We are investigating a report that two men broke into this house."

Isn't THAT a good enough reason for the police to be asking "Are you the guy who lives here?"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2009, 07:01:46 PM »
A local talk show host made an excellent point about this story. Obama really messed up on this one. There's so much attention being devoted to this minor issue that it's overshadowing his last-ditch pitch for health care.

What a maroon.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »
A local talk show host made an excellent point about this story. Obama really messed up on this one. There's so much attention being devoted to this minor issue that it's overshadowing his last-ditch pitch for health care.
Last ditch it is too.  Funniest part is it's not even republicans giving him a problem with it.

Personally I think Ol' Joe has been rubbing off on him.  For someone as intelligent as Obama the longer time goes on the more he slips up.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2009, 07:23:41 PM »
What with thousands of media and beltway types hanging on his every word and regarding him as the prophet of the New America, he's become the biggest mouth in the country.  Notice that, when the question was put, he had a lecture prepared.  He had three points, numbered.  If they just rhymed or had alliteration, it could have been a homily. 

He's been told he's the oracle, showing America the new way out of the old, failed politics of the past.  He just can't keep himself from pontificating on things that aren't his business.   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2009, 10:28:41 PM »
Seems like I saw a report that Obama ran afoul of the Cambridge police a number of times for parking infractions while a student at Harvard.  I wonder if we saw a small holdover grudge come though.  I judged his comments a little extreme considering it was a local issue.

Now let me offer a contrary view of the question.  It came at the end of a press conference where he was not at the top of his game.  He was trying to salvage the initiative on health-care reform.  News coming out of congress was not good.  He was about to experience defeat.  What the question and his response provided was an entirely different story throughout the weekend.  His healthcare defeat did not go away.  It now has to share time with the Cambridge story.  So rather than be dominated by his loss he now is in the news for a different reason.

Obama is better at political prestidigitation than any politician in my lifetime.  He has consistently been able to distract attention from one area by introducing something else.  Normally the technique is use to see-saw policy initiatives.  Here we see how it is used to distract attention from a defeat.  'Inevitability' is a popular political tactic pioneered by Clinton.  It works fairly well early on for Obama but has failed with healthcare.  Cambridge serves as a distraction from his evident defeat.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2009, 03:17:22 AM »
I can't remember where I heard it but afaik
Gates Harvard ID doesn't show an address, and that's all he was showing.
afaik he did the old "don't you know who I am" routine.
I'm amazed by that. I had vaguely heard of Gates only because I'm a news hound, I wouldn't know a Patriots pitcher from a Met's quarterback though...no time for those ball throwing sports.

I am old enough to remember Nixon getting in hot water for saying Manson was guilty while he was on trial. 
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2009, 04:38:31 AM »
One of the radio mouths sadi that thre is supposed to be an open mike recording of the entire exchange between the cop and Gates. I sure hope there is and it backs ot cop to the hilt.

That's something I've been wondering about: this ain't some hickville sheriff with a Model 10 and one deputy, so where's his voice recorder and body mike?

Also, if Gates is such a wonderful guy, why don't his neighbors recognize him?  We moved into our house in December, and I'm pretty sure that by New Years Day, everybody within view knew us by sight at least well enough to not mistake us for burglars.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2009, 10:31:42 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2009, 11:03:50 AM »

LMAO! Another win for Tuttle!

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2009, 11:07:31 AM »
I can't remember where I heard it but afaik
Gates Harvard ID doesn't show an address, and that's all he was showing.
afaik he did the old "don't you know who I am" routine.
I'm amazed by that. I had vaguely heard of Gates only because I'm a news hound, I wouldn't know a Patriots pitcher from a Met's quarterback though...no time for those ball throwing sports.

I am old enough to remember Nixon getting in hot water for saying Manson was guilty while he was on trial.  

I'm not old enough to remember it but I learned of it not too many years later in reading about the case. Just last night I was telling my wife, who's not old enough to remember it and knows little of the case, about the difference between the media's handling of the two statements.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2009, 12:38:27 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2009, 01:50:18 PM »
And Harold is on a role...  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2009, 05:28:36 PM »
Link to Crowley and Figueroa's reports on the incident. 

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0723092gates1.html

911 call.  The neighbor couldn't even see the skin color, and thought maybe one was Hispanic. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p9FgmU1jL0

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2009, 05:39:59 PM »
I've been detained many times. I was detained and questioned for rape (suspect description black male early 20's), robbery, murder (suspect description man in leather jacket), theft, and for generally looking like somebody. Each time it was a fishing expedition, and each time I treated the officer with more respect than he was probably due.

I also had the police show up at my garage after the burglar alarm went off, with me inside looking around. I startled one cop who then went for his gun.

Nobody ever said that I was the victim of something. Certainly not Obama.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO A MONKEY-LEGGED MAN IN AMERICA!!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2009, 06:48:54 PM »
Shoot, I didn't think of that! It's WWHAHL! (Walking while having a hairy leg).

So, when do I get my reparations?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2009, 07:39:31 PM »
Shoot, I didn't think of that! It's WWHAHL! (Walking while having a hairy leg).

So, when do I get my reparations?

Forty acres and a bottle of Nair.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2009, 09:10:53 PM »

Forty acres and a bottle of Nair.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2009, 10:28:16 PM »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2009, 11:10:49 PM »
Oops. So much for the racist 911 caller:

Gates 911 call: Witness not sure she sees crime
By RUSSELL CONTRERAS (AP) – 1 day ago
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — The 911 caller who reported two men possibly breaking into the home of black Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. did not describe their race, acknowledged they might just be having a hard time with the door and said she saw two suitcases on the porch.
Cambridge police on Monday released the 911 recording and radio transmissions from the scene in an effort to show they had nothing to hide, but the tapes raised new questions about how and why the situation escalated.
Gates' July 16 arrest on a disorderly conduct charge sparked a national debate about whether the professor was a victim of racial profiling. Gates, returning from a trip to China, and his driver had forced their way through the front door because it was jammed, and the charge was later dropped.
In her 911 call, Lucia Whalen, who works at the Harvard alumni magazine, repeatedly tells the operator she is not sure what is happening.
Speaking calmly, she tells the operator that she was stopped by an elderly woman who told her she noticed two men trying to get into a house. Whalen initially says she saw two men pushing on the door, but later says one of the men entered the home and she didn't get a good look at him. She says she noticed two suitcases.
"I don't know if they live there and they just had a hard time with their key. But I did notice they used their shoulder to try to barge in and they got in. I don't know if they had a key or not, 'cause I couldn't see from my angle," Whalen says.
She does not mention the race of the men until pressed by a dispatcher to describe them.
"Um, well, there were two larger men," Whalen says. "One looked kind of Hispanic, but I'm not really sure. And the other one entered and I didn't see what he looked like at all. I just saw it from a distance and this older woman was worried, thinking, 'Someone's been breaking in someone's house. They've been barging in.'"
The officer who arrested Gates, Sgt. James Crowley, said in his police report that he talked to Whalen soon after he arrived at Gates' home. "She went on to tell me that she observed what appeared to be two black males with backpacks on the porch," Crowley, who's white, wrote in his report.
Whalen's attorney, Wendy Murphy, said her client never mentioned the men's race to Crowley and is upset by news reports she believes have unfairly depicted her as a racist.
"She doesn't live in the area. She is by no means the entitled white neighbor. ... That has been the theme in the blogs and the implication in some of the mainstream news media," Murphy said in a phone interview Monday.
In his written report, Crowley said Gates became angry when he told him he was investigating a report of a break-in, then yelled at him and called him a racist.
In a radio communication with a dispatcher, also released Monday, Crowley said Gates was not cooperating.
"I'm up with a gentleman, says he resides here, but was uncooperative, but keep the cars coming," Crowley said.
Another voice can be heard in the background of the transmission, but it is unintelligible and unclear if it is Gates.
Cambridge police Commissioner Robert Haas acknowledged that the police report contains a reference to race, but said the report is merely a summary of events.
Gates did not immediately return an e-mail message, and his spokesman did not return e-mail and telephone messages.
Crowley could not be reached for comment. A message left at the police station was not returned, and no one answered the phone at his Natick home.
The professor's supporters called his arrest an outrageous act of racial profiling. Crowley's supporters say Gates was arrested because he was belligerent and that race was not a factor.
Interest in the case intensified when President Barack Obama said at a White House news conference last week that Cambridge police "acted stupidly" in arresting Gates. He later tried to quell the uproar about his comments and invited both Gates and Crowley to the White House for a beer. That meeting was scheduled for Thursday evening, an administration official said on the condition of anonymity because the meeting had not been announced.
David Kennedy, director of the Center for Crime Prevention and Control at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, said he did not think the latest revelations related to the 911 caller would change many opinions on the case.
"My guess is that that adds nothing to the conviction of black Americans that the cops like to lie a lot," Kennedy said. "It's just another example of something they already thoroughly believe, and that if it affects the views of those who generally trust the police, it would affect it in a very small way at most."
Gov. Deval Patrick, a black friend of Gates who last week called the arrest "every black man's nightmare," said Monday he wouldn't apologize for his remarks.
A multiracial group of police officers and union officials supporting Crowley had called on the governor to say he was sorry. But the governor said he wasn't sure why he was being asked to apologize.
Patrick said he acknowledged from the beginning he wasn't at Gates' home to witness the arrest, and he said Crowley seemed to be "a pretty good guy."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2009, 08:19:27 AM »
HT I totally stole the first one for my facebook :-)
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”