Author Topic: First manned launch you remember watching?  (Read 1991 times)

Unisaw

• friend
First manned launch you remember watching?
« on: May 29, 2020, 05:35:42 PM »
What is the first launch of a manned US spacecraft that you remember watching (including on TV)?  The first I remember watching was Alan Shepard in Freedom 7, the first manned launch of the Mercury program.  It lasted all of 15 minutes and 28 seconds, but I can't imagine the courage it took to be the first American in space.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: First manned launch you remember watching?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 05:40:02 PM »
Alan Shepard's flight is the one I first remember.  My mother used to get me up early before school to watch all the Mercury flights when I was a little kid.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 05:43:19 PM »
I don't really remember much from before the later Apollo missions, 10 and beyond. I mostly remember all the Apollo launches and the Apollo/Soyuz and Skylab, I was a big space geek back then.
The first shuttle launch I ever got to catch live was  January 28th, 1986.
I never tried to watch another one.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 05:45:21 PM »
The giant metal TV cart and some early 80s shuttle launch. I don't think there was anything for me born in 1975 before the shuttle came along.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 05:58:54 PM »
The first one I remember was the Challenger.

My parents tell me we had watched previous launches, but I don't remember them.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 06:26:12 PM »
What is the first launch of a manned US spacecraft that you remember watching (including on TV)?  The first I remember watching was Alan Shepard in Freedom 7, the first manned launch of the Mercury program.  It lasted all of 15 minutes and 28 seconds, but I can't imagine the courage it took to be the first American in space.

We didn't have a TV until '62 or so, so later than that.  Don't remember exactly.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 06:39:32 PM »
Too be honest, none of them that I can remember. For large periods during the late 80's and early 90's, we didn't have a TV.
I remember watching Waco at home with Dad and I think we watched some stuff with Desert Storm at school, but that period and current events aired on TV I pretty much missed everything.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 07:36:22 PM »
Apollo 11
I was 5
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 08:05:45 PM »
When I was in Kindergarten the first astronauts were training at NASA Langley and John Glen visited our (and others I'm sure) class since it was local.  The first launch I remember seeing was the Gemini flights in 1965.  We watched the first "space walk" and that was a very big deal.  I don't remember seeing earlier ones but being in a military family we were in Japan about then so wouldn't have been awake when they were happening.  I'll stop before I start telling you whipper snappers about the days before VCRs.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 08:43:32 PM »
Yuri Gagarin -- but it wasn't a live broadcast.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 08:45:42 PM »
Columbia, STS-1
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 09:08:15 PM »
I remember Apollo 11 well.  Only vaguely remember the ones before that.
"It's good, though..."

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 09:16:17 PM »
Alan Shepard's flight is the one I first remember.  My mother used to get me up early before school to watch all the Mercury flights when I was a little kid.

Okay, we have now established that Rocketman and I are as old as dirt.  ;)
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 10:39:21 PM »
I'm not sure I remember. I know I watched Apollo 7 and later. My parents might have sat me in front of the TV for Gemini, but I have no recollection.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 12:56:34 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 01:11:40 AM »
Pre Apollo but can't say exactly
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 01:59:45 AM »
The first one I remember was the Challenger.

My parents tell me we had watched previous launches, but I don't remember them.

Same for me. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 03:03:23 PM »
I don't remember if it was the first shuttle launch, but in the early 80's, my elementary school pulled everyone into auditorium or cafeteria to watch it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 03:05:27 PM »
The first one I really remember was Apollo 11, since we were having a family vacation in Florida at the time, staying at my cousin's hotel in Winterhaven. We watched the lift-off on TV, then went outside and soon saw the flame of the Saturn V rising in the distance.

With binoculars - and perhaps a little bit of imagination - I convinced myself I could make out a tiny black dot at the apex of the plume - the rocket itself.

That was history - and IMHO, one of mankind's greatest achievements.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »
Saw STS-84 in person when I was 9. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-84. It was amazing. After the launch we toured KSC including Cape Canaveral it was fascinating.

Saw a couple launches on TV before that but I don’t remember much about them

Dad saw Apollo 11 on TV.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2020, 09:00:49 PM »
Slight veer:  How about a landing?  Some friends and I went to Edwards in the Early 80s to see the Shuttle come in.  Went the day before, camped out for the early landing. Beautiful!

Can't swear this was the one, but odds are pretty good.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_IN2zO17H8
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 09:25:18 PM »
I want to say Apollo 11.  My parents tell me we all watched it, but I was three at the time.  Big time space nerd since then.  The good part of living outside Houston for a time was being able to visit the Johnson Space Center as a kid quite a few times.  Saw shuttle Enterprise with the 747 land during early testing.  Loved watching today--kept laughing at the Bob and Doug references as I thought of SCTV.  Needed someone to say "Take off, you hosers!"

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 10:54:49 PM »
I want to say Apollo 11.  My parents tell me we all watched it, but I was three at the time.  Big time space nerd since then.  The good part of living outside Houston for a time was being able to visit the Johnson Space Center as a kid quite a few times.  Saw shuttle Enterprise with the 747 land during early testing.  Loved watching today--kept laughing at the Bob and Doug references as I thought of SCTV.  Needed someone to say "Take off, you hosers!"

Hah.  You called it.  Every time they mentioned "Bob and Doug",  I giggled a bit.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2020, 01:47:37 AM »
Sadly, I don't really remember.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2020, 04:50:38 PM »
Slight veer:  How about a landing?  Some friends and I went to Edwards in the Early 80s to see the Shuttle come in.  Went the day before, camped out for the early landing. Beautiful!

Can't swear this was the one, but odds are pretty good.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_IN2zO17H8
Living in Central Texas, I saw a couple of night re-entries of the shuttle. Bright, lingering, orange arc across the sky - MUCH more spectacular than any meteor that I ever saw. (Of course, I wasn't in Chelyabinsk back on 02/15/2013.  ;)  )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain