Author Topic: GPS?  (Read 2717 times)

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
Re: GPS?
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 11:21:20 AM »
Just started a new job that requires lots of driving and address hunting. Since I've only lived in the area two months I'm doing good to know where I am most of the time, much less find a location. I've been using the GPS in my phone which works off of Google Earth but my boss was out of town last week on vacation and handed me his tomtom as he walked out. I hate this device, couldn't figure out how to make it do the simplest functions, so I'm still using my phone. However, I also picked up a street atlas for the area and I'd prefer to use that.

It's been my experience with using GPS to find your way that you're so busy paying attention to the GPS you fail to pay attention to where you actually are, don't notice landmarks, and your situational awareness decreases dramatically. None of which is good. If you do get something for your wife Hawkmoon, encourage her to use it as back up only. Print directions from Google maps before she leaves the house, commit it to memory, and have her learn her way around the old fashioned way - with knowing direction and reading landmarks. If nothing else, have her just use the voice feature and listen to the directions rather than staring at the screen so she's actually looking around her, not down.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2011, 04:28:06 PM »
They are MUCH less likely to cause a smash and grab in a parking garage. (A real problem here in Tampa, don't know about your locality)

Which is why I NEVER leave my unit (or it's mount) sitting up on the windshield. Always in the pass seat covered by a jacket or something.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »
You may even meet a long haired bearded mountaineer with a shotgun  :O

I've always wanted to meet your wife......

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »

=D

:laugh:

Glad that was the last drink of the beer that came out my nose. Another beer just doesn't sound very good. I think I'll have to switch to whiskey. ;)

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 06:50:44 PM »

=D

Actually, she doesn't have a shotgun  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2011, 07:02:06 PM »
Actually, she doesn't have a shotgun  ;)

Good thing for you!   :D
"It's good, though..."