Author Topic: I'm retiring my Taurus PT-22 as a carry gun...  (Read 2104 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I'm retiring my Taurus PT-22 as a carry gun...
« on: October 25, 2018, 09:53:26 AM »
I got it back in the mid 1990s because I needed a really small and uber concealable CCW gun.

I've recounted here a number of times that, with Winchester WildCat ammunition, it's been 100% reliable over more than 2,000 rounds -- 0 failures to feed, 0 failures to fire, 0 failures to eject.

I really like the little thing. I did a bunch of work on the original wood grips, sanding and contouring them to make them more comfortable and a better fit to my hand.

But, the problem I've run into lately is that I can't find WildCat ammo anywhere locally, and the remaining stock of WildCat I have is approaching 15 years old.

The places that do carry it at brick & mortar locations aren't close, and shipping from the places that sell it online is, at a minimum, at least half the cost of a brick. A couple of places it DOUBLES the price of a brick.

So, for now at least, I'm retiring the PT until I either find more WildCat or until I have the time to find another ammo that's equally reliable

For now I'm carrying my S&W 042 (hammerless) or my S&W 38 (concealed hammer), both airweights.

I'm actually sort of bummed about this because it has been such a great little pistol for me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: I'm retiring my Taurus PT-22 as a carry gun...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 10:14:40 AM »
https://www.sgammo.com/product/22-lr-ammo/500-round-brick-22-lr-winchester-wildcat-high-velocity-40-grain-lead-bullet-ammo-

https://www.sgammo.com/product/22-lr-ammo/5000-round-case-22-lr-winchester-wildcat-high-velocity-40-grain-lead-bullet-ammo-
This one is a 5000 round case.  $22 shipping.  The first link doesn't show a shipping address.  I imagine shipping on a single brick would be a bit high for what it is.  I ordered an 800 round pack of subsonic 22 recently, but I ordered a couple of other items also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 10:38:17 AM »
Notice how I said shipping adds, at a minimum, at least half the cost of a brick?

S&G price for 500 rounds, $23 and change (good price, actually, one of the lowest I've seen).

Shipping, $12, or slightly more than half the cost of the brick.

Still, that total is better than several others where price + shipping has punched the price of a brick to the $50 level.

I've searched just about every online vendor I've come across who has shown WildCat in stock, and gotten the same results at every one of them.

And there's no way that I need 5,000 rounds, given that it's taken me about 22 years to go through slightly more than 2,200 rounds.

Not to mention the fact that I have about 10,000 rounds of assorted (mostly Federal) bulk pack .22 already in stock. I'm going to see how well the Federal does in the PT-22 (and also my Dad's old Iver Johnson TP-22), but I've just not had time.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 10:40:22 AM »
Hum... looking at this a slightly different way, I've only been looking for .22 WildCat.

But, I'm dusting off my S&W 410 in .40, and I need some decent ammo for that. It says that I can add 8 pounds of stuff to the order for no increase in shipping.

Need to look this over a bit more. Maybe I can kill two birds with one bullet.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 10:53:27 AM »
I have a stainless Walther TPH in .22 and it can be a bit finicky with ammo. I should look locally for some of this Wildcat and give it a try.  Although based on Mike's experience, I wonder if I will find it in a bricks-and-mortar store.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »
According to what I'm finding on line, it's carried in a bunch of brick & mortar stores, just none close to me.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 11:26:59 AM »
I know someone who has the Ruger SR22.  The 3" barreled version is very compact, but neither of us could shooting it accurately.  He upgraded to the 4" barrel model and it is much easier to hit a target with it.  It worked reliably though.

Not sure I can help you with 40.  I don't carry that anymore.  SGAmmo had some Winchester Ranger T ammo last I looked.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 11:45:35 AM »
A .22 carry gun?  Yeah, you need to retire that asap.  And replace it with something a bit bigger.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 12:08:52 PM »
A .22 carry gun?  Yeah, you need to retire that asap.  And replace it with something a bit bigger.

People tell me that, and I just snicker.

Usually it's followed by exhortations about how I'm just suicidal, and if I were really serious about protecting my life I'd carry the gun GOD intended, a 1911!

Then I put 8 rounds into a target the size of a fist at 7 yards in under 3 seconds, and most of the time they're trying VERY hard not to shoot either the ceiling or the floor (and often failing).

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 12:16:52 PM »
Put this in perspective.  Premium carry ammo is often $25-$30 a box.  That's a box of 50 (if you're lucky.  I've seen JHP in boxes of 20 or 25).  Even more budget 9mm jhp is going to run you $10-$15 bucks a box.

If you decide to carry that .40 you're looking at $0.20/rd for practice ammo (if you buy a case) more for a JHP carry round.

Your preferred carry ammo for your .22 is, with shipping $0.07/rd.  You're not going to touch that price in any other caliber.  If you buy two boxes (one years worth of ammo at your rate) it drops to 5.8 cents a round.

Yes shipping is a large percentage of the cost of your preferred ammo, but even with shipping included, it's cheap carry ammo, and certainly cheaper then any other option you have available.  Don't be penny-wise and pound foolish.

Your preferred carry ammo is literally cheaper to your door then my home reloaded .45 practice ammo.  If it's really a cost issue, just buy 1000 rounds of Wildcat and pay the shipping.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 12:21:39 PM »
I shoot CCI mini mags in my Colt Targetsman. Very consistent rim fire ammo.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 01:05:56 PM »
"Put this in perspective.  Premium carry ammo is often $25-$30 a box.  That's a box of 50 (if you're lucky.  I've seen JHP in boxes of 20 or 25).  Even more budget 9mm jhp is going to run you $10-$15 bucks a box."

By that perspective, it's more logical to buy a pack of yellow number 2 pencils and play stabby stabby...

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 01:19:13 PM »
By that perspective, it's more logical to buy a pack of yellow number 2 pencils and play stabby stabby...
Just wait, I'll stabby stab eight pencils into a target the size of a decimal point so fast it'll make your head spin!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 01:31:53 PM »
Just wait, I'll stabby stab eight pencils into a target the size of a decimal point so fast it'll make your head spin!

We need common sense high capacity pencil box control.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »
If you want I'll check my stash for Wildcat.  Dates from round 1 of the Great 0bama Ammo Famine.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 03:06:09 PM »
Just don't tell them about the big fat pencils they used to have.  Or mechanical pencils.  Those are a step away from full auto!   And they stab and leave lead in the wound to get infected making them extra deadly.  

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 03:11:41 PM »
I picked up a Sig P365 last week.  Shot a few hundred rounds over the weekend including a variety of HP ammo and different bullet weights.  Worked perfectly.  I was told it was a little snappy, but I didn't have any issue at all.  The +P ammo starts to feel a bit snappy.  Much smoother and easier to shoot than my Kel-tec PF9.  The trigger is actually fairly nice which is a big difference.  Even with the standard 10 round mag with no base plate extension, it is not bad to shoot.  I am going to put some more rounds through it this weekend, but I plan to get a holster and start carrying it at least part time.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 04:18:16 PM »
Great 0bama Ammo Famine.

Say that three times, real fast.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

castle key

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 04:24:10 PM »

Ahmed Mohamed concurs....
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 04:25:36 PM »
I have heard some very interesting things about the Sig P365 and will be interested in your further thoughts about it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 05:27:03 PM »
I have heard some very interesting things about the Sig P365 and will be interested in your further thoughts about it.
I'll sign you up for my news letter.   =)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 10:54:34 PM »
I don't trust .22 LR in a pistol.  (CCI Mini Mags are almost reliable enough)  In a revolver they might be okay anyway because if it FTF's you just pull the trigger again. 

I have a Keltec P3AT and I hate it. When I pull the trigger it feels like a firecracker went off in my hand, so I never practice with it.  I should have bought the P32 instead; one extra round in the magazine and a softer recoils.  I'm thinking about using my Cabela's Bucks points to get a Beretta Tomcat .32 (if Bass Pro sells Beretta.)  I have $500 worth of points and need to spend it on something...
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2018, 07:13:14 AM »
I picked up a Sig P365 last week.  Shot a few hundred rounds over the weekend including a variety of HP ammo and different bullet weights.  Worked perfectly.  I was told it was a little snappy, but I didn't have any issue at all.  The +P ammo starts to feel a bit snappy.  Much smoother and easier to shoot than my Kel-tec PF9.  The trigger is actually fairly nice which is a big difference.  Even with the standard 10 round mag with no base plate extension, it is not bad to shoot.  I am going to put some more rounds through it this weekend, but I plan to get a holster and start carrying it at least part time.

Will it shoot WildCat .22s?

Can you turn it into WildCat .22s?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2018, 07:14:47 AM »
"I don't trust .22 LR in a pistol."

Note the round count that I have through my Taurus... North of 2,000 Winchester WildCats with 0 issues of any kind.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2018, 09:16:59 AM »
I don't trust .22 LR in a pistol.  (CCI Mini Mags are almost reliable enough)  In a revolver they might be okay anyway because if it FTF's you just pull the trigger again. 

I have a Keltec P3AT and I hate it. When I pull the trigger it feels like a firecracker went off in my hand, so I never practice with it.  I should have bought the P32 instead; one extra round in the magazine and a softer recoils.  I'm thinking about using my Cabela's Bucks points to get a Beretta Tomcat .32 (if Bass Pro sells Beretta.)  I have $500 worth of points and need to spend it on something...

The Sig P238/Colt Mustang is a pretty soft shooting .380.  Notacably softer then the various blowback .380's out there.  I know I felt the same about a friends P3AT as you do, but actually enjoy shooting my P238.  You might try a locked breech before you go down in caliber.