Author Topic: Why aren't 4-wheelers street legal in the US?  (Read 13081 times)

Ryan in Maine

• friend
Why aren't 4-wheelers street legal in the US?
« on: December 31, 2008, 01:18:20 AM »
Everything I'm reading seems to be a "We know what's best" sort of approach to legislating their use. It seems to me that they should be street legal, perhaps making an exception to highways/freeways.

I've been looking into one as an alternative to a snowmobile for winter use, since it would save me at least a couple grand. I just don't understand why I can't drive it on the roads. They handle just fine at the speeds I'd encounter in this town.

I've seen a few people using them to plow their driveways and they work great in that regard as well. Only one of the snowmobiles I was considering was normally used for plowing (one of Ski-Doo's work sleds).

When exactly did the US decide that ATV's shouldn't be street legal? Especially at speeds under 50mph?

Regolith

• friend
Re: Why aren't 4-wheelers street legal in the US?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 04:53:20 AM »
I think it's the general lack of turn signals, headlamps, break lights, etc.  I'd imagine if you did everything to a ATV that is done on a motorcycle to make it street legal you wouldn't have a problem.   Probably depends on the state, though.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 07:20:58 AM »
Florida has some rules where, with the proper signals, golf cart type vehicles are legal on roads with speed limits under 40.

I think the idea is to get some of the older types out of their caddies into something they can see out of, and can't do as much damage.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 07:31:45 AM »
ATVs are perfectly street-legal in Israel, FWIW.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 07:42:21 AM »
ATVs are perfectly street-legal in Israel, FWIW.
Same here, as they are in all of the EU IIRC.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 07:58:08 AM »
Lights, signals, mirrors.  I've never seen an ATV with all those things.  That is probably why.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 08:50:27 AM »
ATVs can be street legal in Wyoming.  The delivery guy from Chatter's bar rides one when he brings me my pizza.

Samurai Penguin

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 09:14:09 AM »
They can be street-reg'd in Arizona, too.  We don't require much equipment on 'motorcycles.'   =D

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 10:11:41 AM »
They are used in the mountain towns of Az as an alternative means.  Lights, insurance and registration is all it takes.  Oh and the nerve to drive them with the flatlanders sharing the same roads. ;/

schutzen

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 10:19:32 AM »
They need head lights, tail lights, turn signals, license and insurance .

The other thought I have is you need to visit the scene of an ATV vs. automobile wreck.  Generally, the large red smudge on the pavement is the ATV driver.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »

The other thought I have is you need to visit the scene of an ATV vs. automobile wreck.  Generally, the large red smudge on the pavement is the ATV driver.

How is this different from an automobile vs. bicycle or motorcycle wreck?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 10:47:25 AM »
BECAUSE OF THE FREAKIN IDIOTS THAT RIDE THEM!

Having said that: I mean no offense to proper use. We used them for search & rescue, invaluable and often on paved roads getting from here to there. Would like to use for access to hunting area and bringing game out. Neighbor uses for plowing snow in driveway.

BUT!!! I'm an ER nurse and my state has the highest ATV death rate in the country. Many attributable to kids thninking they're indestructable, adults drinkin/drug, or plain, old-fashioned stupidity!

Example: 2 yrs ago I'm doing 55-60mph on state rd. 2 boys, no helmets, no eye protection, pull out in front of me on ATVs heading same direction. One has a 55 gal drum strapped to back rack. They pulled away from me. Don't think they're designed for 60+ mph on paved roads.

However, I don't think you can legislate away stupidity. Let natural selection do its job!

Stay safe.

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 10:49:43 AM »
How is this different from an automobile vs. bicycle or motorcycle wreck?

Because drunk rednecks on ATV's going 60mph create a bigger grease spot than a cyclist going 15mph.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 11:16:44 AM »
Here in the PRNJ you can run them on the road for farm use. I'm not sure what you need to do to be legal(keep a chicken on the back?).
But one of he only decent tings to come out of our useless governor whitman years ago was called the traction vehicle act. It was designed to allow people to gun equipment on the roads without plates. It was created after a big blizzard had created problems with people getting tickets for driving equipment on the roads. The storm had pushed every piece of 4x4 whatever onto the roads. Hence a big boom in cops with nothing better to do handing out tickets.
NJ DMV also has another thing called equipment in transit plates. You can put them on just about anything and dive the roads. Hell I got stopped on a road near where I worked on a golf cart. I pointed to the plate the cop shook his head and walked away. FWI it was a coffee run. So it was important business.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 11:17:14 AM »
That's a good question to ask the DOT, Ryan.

I'd wager if you could talk them into categorizing one as a motorcycle, with lights, turn signals, etc. you'd get your wish.

(Not likely, but hey, why not give it a shot, greasy smear on the asphalt or otherwise...)   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 11:50:25 AM »
In Montana, you can get light kits and plates for ATVs to make them "road legal".

That said, folks drive them on the county roads and sometimes along the hiway without such niceties and the cops don't bother them much AFAIK.

Our neighbor for instance, has about four miles of county road running through his ranch - open range, with cattle guards at each end. At 90, he's gotten a little too old to ride a horse anymore.  But the sheriffs don't patrol up here anyway  :rolleyes:

I think if you want to get technical, that you can tie a red triangle onto the back of most anything and you are legal as long as you stay under 25mph.  Though you hardly ever even see the triangles on tractors and other equipment.  If you can't see a 150 HP tractor with a folded up disc creeping along the hiway, then you ought not be driving anyway  :laugh:

Neither do I have license, lights, etc on my horse when we have to ride along the road - though we have jumped into or across the ditch in a hurry a few times  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 12:55:04 PM »
There are kits you can buy for your atv to make it street legal. You will also need DOT approved tires, not the off-road mudders, sand, or all terrains that are usually fitted.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Samurai Penguin

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 02:42:45 PM »
They are used in the mountain towns of Az as an alternative means.  Lights, insurance and registration is all it takes.  Oh and the nerve to drive them with the flatlanders sharing the same roads. ;/

I think you're in my area.   :cool:

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 12:38:32 AM »
Thanks guys. I didn't think they were legal on the roads. I know you're alright to drive them for short stretches as necessary, but I didn't know they could be modified for regular road use.

I figured, since I hadn't seen it happen, and since no manufacturer to my knowledge has built a 4-wheeler that comes street legal, that it wasn't an option. Now I'm wondering why a manufacturer doesn't build a 4-wheeler that's already street legal at the time of purchase.

Would that mean side-by-side type vehicles are street legal as well? I mean, the way some people around here handle their Jeeps, you'd think it'd be a go...

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 12:46:14 AM »
I know that when I looked into it, the issue was that it has four wheels, in OH at least.

That is, a motorcycle is defined as a vehicle with three wheels or fewer. Motorcyles have special rules about not needing safety belts, lighting, and other stuff. Since ATVs have four wheels, they would legally be cars, and would require full lighting, seat belts, crash safety whatever....
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 11:13:10 AM »
Would that mean side-by-side type vehicles are street legal as well? I mean, the way some people around here handle their Jeeps, you'd think it'd be a go...

There's a guy that drives one up and down the county road in our neighborhood.  Of course, the sheriff/deputies never patrol out here  :rolleyes:

He ran off the road and rolled it over a while back.  We came along and I helped him push it back up on its wheels.  Since he didn't seem to be hurt and there was no property damage, I didn't call it in to county dispatch.  There's sort of a help your neighbor but mind your own business philosophy around here.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 11:24:04 AM »
I know that when I looked into it, the issue was that it has four wheels, in OH at least.

That is, a motorcycle is defined as a vehicle with three wheels or fewer. Motorcyles have special rules about not needing safety belts, lighting, and other stuff. Since ATVs have four wheels, they would legally be cars, and would require full lighting, seat belts, crash safety whatever....

Bad citizen! No Kettenkrad for you!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 11:35:49 AM »
I figured, since I hadn't seen it happen, and since no manufacturer to my knowledge has built a 4-wheeler that comes street legal, that it wasn't an option. Now I'm wondering why a manufacturer doesn't build a 4-wheeler that's already street legal at the time of purchase.

From what I'm told, OEM's don't certify ATV's as street legal for liability and regulation purposes.   Plus something about having to fall under DOT rules as auto manufacturers or what not.  I don't know if it's true, but it makes some amount of sense.  If you look around however, you can find places that sell ATV's to the police departments and SAR type organizations with all the necessary equipment to be street legal.  Might be a little more pricey, but every place I'm familiar with that sells ATV's to SAR outfits have pretty high standards.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 12:12:04 PM »
Bad citizen! No Kettenkrad for you!

Somebody near here has one, but I've only seen it on hillsides.