Author Topic: Army question  (Read 1187 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Army question
« on: September 18, 2021, 10:56:00 PM »
For long-term, permanent duty station assignments, where would an unmarried, field-grade officer (Colonel) be likely to live?

• Base housing
  • B.O.Q.
  • Off-post housing
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
Re: Army question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 11:01:17 PM »
YMCA

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 11:33:18 PM »
I think it would be BOQ if he lives on-base, but maybe a larger and nicer apartment or dormitory than a junior officer gets.  Or what about living off-base using the housing allowance?
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 07:24:23 AM »
I don't think there is that much BOQ permanent housing. AFAIK, most is transitory. I've stayed in Qs where I had to share the bathroom with the connecting apartment. I wouldn't want to be doing that for three years.

https://www.boqlodging.com/lodging/governmentmilitaryhousing.htm
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 02:42:28 PM »
Get to O-6 and your probably in a command position.  Those tend to come with on-base housing, regardless of marital status.

BOQ?  No way an O-6 is going to live with a bunch of butter bars, 1st LTs, and the odd captain on TDY.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 02:55:40 PM »
Get to O-6 and your probably in a command position.  Those tend to come with on-base housing, regardless of marital status.

BOQ?  No way an O-6 is going to live with a bunch of butter bars, 1st LTs, and the odd captain on TDY.

Some of it depends on where the BOQ is (not for "permanent" housing, but for TDY type stuff). While not in the mil, I stayed in BOQs here and there over my career. Some bases have really nice TDY housing, others, not so much. It also depends on rank.

As a civilian, when I stayed at a BOQ, they used the billet equivalency chart. So when I was a lowly GS-12 (O-4 equivalent) I had that shared bathroom apartment. When I stayed at that same base (Lemoore NAS) as a GS-14 (O-5 equivalent)* I had a nice unit in, I forget if it was a duplex or triplex, with a backyard, BBQ area and stuff, and my own dang head.

At Point Mugu NAS (part of NBVC), they even have beach bungalows. The Director of my office, an SESer, was out one time for some meetings we were having with the Navy, and they put him up in the beach bungalow (SES=one of the Admirals). We hung out one night having cigars and whiskey there - it was really nice.

I've never stayed at one, but have heard that the Army BOQs are the worst of the services. I've only stayed Navy and Air Force.

* That billet equivalency chart is a big ripoff. GS12=O-4, GS-13=O5, and GS14=O5. So getting the GS14 promotion got me nothing SWAG-wise compared to 13.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 03:00:13 PM »

* That billet equivalency chart is a big ripoff. GS12=O-4, GS-13=O5, and GS14=O5. So getting the GS14 promotion got me nothing SWAG-wise compared to 13.

Too bad they didn't make you equivalent to a Navy Chief, that would have probably been a better deal for you!   :P   =D

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 03:01:06 PM »
Too bad they didn't make you equivalent to a Navy Chief, that would have probably been a better deal for you!   :P   =D

bob

:laugh:

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 07:17:00 PM »
Most likely off base unless he has a base command then for security he’d be on base.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 07:50:51 PM »
Most likely off base unless he has a base command then for security he’d be on base.

Brigade Combat Team commanding officer. As I initially indicated, this is for permanent duty station, not TDY.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 07:56:47 PM »
FIguring bird colonel, and single? I've seen some places with apartments. But I'd want him on post, especially oconus... Prime target for a honey trap.
Blog under construction

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 09:19:37 PM »
FIguring bird colonel, and single? I've seen some places with apartments. But I'd want him on post, especially oconus... Prime target for a honey trap.

That still a thing?  We took classes about that in the late 80s, because KGB was still very active, trying to snag officers with attractive young women.  I assumed that stopped when the USSR went away.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BobR

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 10:00:09 PM »
That still a thing?  We took classes about that in the late 80s, because KGB was still very active, trying to snag officers with attractive young women.  I assumed that stopped when the USSR went away.

China? Doesn't even have to be a female laying the trap. Google Fat Leonard.

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 10:25:35 PM »
Isn't it now China snagging members of Congress? (e.g., Eric Swalwell.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 12:19:33 AM »

It wasn't just officers that got that kind of training.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 01:34:10 AM »

Every time we checked into the Hotel Juba in beautiful downtown Mogadishu we would have a guy (KGB) from the Soviet Embassy come over and start buying us the swill they called beer in that country and start trying to strike up a friendly conversation. Like we didn't know who he was....really?!?

bob

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2021, 10:33:53 AM »
I believe most get their choice to live, on or off-post. But... this could depend on duty location and Post Commander requirements.

The main thing, can you get to HQ quickly!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2021, 12:06:09 PM »
China? Doesn't even have to be a female laying the trap. Google Fat Leonard.

bob

Holy crap that is a lot of corruption.  I don't remember hearing about any of it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Leonard_scandal

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2021, 02:38:56 PM »
Holy crap that is a lot of corruption.  I don't remember hearing about any of it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Leonard_scandal

There are still people awaiting their turn in jail over this thing. They are down to people mostly pleading not guilty but IMO they are probably guilty and will go to jail for a spell.

bob

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2021, 09:45:47 PM »
"Yes, I will drink your vodka and cheap beer, because tomorrow, the air force is going to drop a nuke on the north side of town, but don't tell anyone."
Blog under construction

BobR

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2021, 01:38:47 PM »
Continuing the Fat Leonard theme, but in another theater of operations with a different guy. It may not be as big as the Fat Leonard corruption but it is still a lot our tax money being wasted because someone was greedy.

Federal agents are investigating a new U.S. Navy corruption case that has strong echoes of the Fat Leonard scandal, with a defense contractor facing accusations that he delivered cash bribes and bilked the Navy out of at least $50 million to service its ships in foreign ports, according to recently unsealed court records.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u-s-navy-hit-by-another-international-bribery-scandal/ar-AAP6l8x?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

bob