Author Topic: The Pandora Papers  (Read 815 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The Pandora Papers
« on: October 03, 2021, 09:37:24 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/oct/03/pandora-papers-biggest-ever-leak-of-offshore-data-exposes-financial-secrets-of-rich-and-powerful. I have been reading some interesting articles about this. Fascinating how money moves around behind the scenes.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

fifth_column

• friend
Re: The Pandora Papers
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 02:39:21 PM »
I haven't looked any further than the linked article. What surprised me from that article: "the US emerges from the leak as a leading tax haven. The files suggest the state of South Dakota, in particular, is sheltering billions of dollars in wealth linked to individuals previously accused of serious financial crimes."

I'm in no position to utilize tax havens so it's not something I've ever looked into, but SD seems an unlikely place to build such a shelter.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 02:53:54 PM »
Short on wrongdoing so far as I have seen, mainly a vehicle for the internationalists to demand their fair share of what they didn’t earn.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 03:30:16 PM »
Short on wrongdoing so far as I have seen, mainly a vehicle for the internationalists to demand their fair share of what they didn’t earn.

Exactly.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 04:54:18 PM »
An explanation of South Dakota:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/oct/04/pandora-papers-reveal-south-dakotas-role-as-367bn-tax-haven

But the Pandora papers – a leak of 11.9m files from 14 different offshore services providers around the world – reveal how the US is also emerging as a key location for trusts, which are typically used to shelter the personal wealth of super-rich individuals rather than multinationals.

Trusts are also used by millions of middle-class people to protect assets they worked very hard to earn.

Typical of the Guardian: take note of a perfectly legal activity and spin the article so the activity sounds evil.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 07:55:30 PM »
Not having read the article, I'm going to guess that what they are really complaining about is people being able to keep their money.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 07:16:12 AM »
Is Trump mentioned in the papers?

If he is, the Democrats should impeach him. Again.

Double secret impeachment.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 08:45:38 AM »
Not having read the article, I'm going to guess that what they are really complaining about is people being able to keep their money.
I also don't see them looking into which politicians put those tax shelters into law. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 09:32:22 AM »
The UK & territories is a den of conniving bankers.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 11:37:54 AM »
I also don't see them looking into which politicians put those tax shelters into law.

This seems like a worthy endeavor.

Many of the people they mention in the article are anti-corruption politicians that are squirrelling away hundreds of millions of dollars, and others that are accused of money laundering and other illegal acts.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 01:13:28 PM »
Iirc, South Dakota changed their laws a few decades ago to attract credit card companies, and I bet this is a side effect.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?