Author Topic: R U giving a gun to anyone for Chrismahanakwanza?  (Read 2303 times)

Seymour Skinner

R U giving a gun to anyone for Chrismahanakwanza?
« on: December 05, 2005, 06:48:11 AM »
Affordable pistols make great gifts for Chrismahanakwanza for non gun owners who want to get over the hump but have mental/monetary/female roadblocks.

I'm also curious if anyone is giving something "sporting purpose" to a son or nephew.

I can't tell you how many guys I know who are too gutless or have too high of a cable/cigarette bill to buy their first gun.  I have found that the best way to get them over that mental hurdle is one of these affordable pistols the antis call "saturday night specials" and many gun owners call "junk."  

It's easy to do a lot of talking about how we get more good people involved in shooting, but complaining about it doesn't do much.  In order to save the 2nd amendment, we need to get at least 5% of guys, in my estimation, away from sports center once or twice every 6 months and to the range.

If I was wealthy, it would be fun to do a "12 gun days of Christmas" sort of thing to a buddy: 1st day, a case of 7.62 X 54R, 2nd day, a  Dragunov, and so on.  Kind of dimented, but man it would be fun Cheesy

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 07:13:18 AM »
On the 1st day of Christmas my true Internet gun nut gave to me a cartridge in a pear tree.Cheesy

Every year I give the gift that keeps on giving, firearms.Cheesy

My brother is getting a Blackhawk in .357 and my nephew is getting a Winchester 1903 (a single shot "thumbcocker") chambered in .22.  It was my maternal grandfather's who purchased it at age 10 via the mail in 1922 and had to walk "into town" for ammunition (sold to him at a round a piece).

Master, we'll have to call you "Johnny Gunseed".Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 07:21:56 AM »
I bought SWMBO an engagement ring for Christmas (paid cash for it too), no guns or other presents to for me from Charby Claus this Christmas. On the other hand I did buy an 870 in October, close enough I guess.

Last Christmas was a great Christmas, my father gave all his antique firearms to my brothers and me. Plus I bought myself a GP-100 for myself, turned into my favorite handgun.

Charby

El T

Can I be adopted into your family?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 07:23:00 AM »
For Festivus, I'm taking my two stepsons to the range.  One did ask for a Winchester lever gun, but I found him a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun instead.  He's already fighting his brother over the 100+ firearms in my collection, and I'm not even dead yet.  We spent too much on his other gifts.  And the obvious connection to "A Christmas Story" is so perfect...

Nor would I give them a Lorcin/Davis/HiPoint/Jennings/Bryco blowback zinc-alloy POS, unless they learned how to throw it with some accuracy and a lot of force.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 08:16:28 AM »
I'm also curious if anyone is giving something "sporting purpose" to a son or nephew.
I bought my nephew a cheapie Gerber folder for Christmas.  That's what he wanted, at least according to his grandma.  He's in 6th grade now and just got his own first gun (Rossi .22/20 ga combo, single shot) for his birthday earlier this year.

Greg

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 09:00:49 AM »
I'd give someone a K31 or SKS or Makorov or CZ52 over a ring-of-fire handgun.  No point in paying for junk, and getting junk, when you can pay for junk, and get quality.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 10:08:02 AM »
He's already fighting his brother over the 100+ firearms in my collection, and I'm not even dead yet.
WOuld you adopt me? I can cook... Cheesy

I've been thinking about getting my wife the S&W .38 lightweight J frame with the laser grips she's been talking about but I don't think that what she really wants. Not romantic enough I'd guess...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 02:05:28 PM »
I had planned on getting my youngest a new shotgun. even had it picked out (a nice Charles Daly 20 ga.), but he's been misbehaving and now will have to wait until at least his birthday. That bums me out, but he has to understand that I have to be able to trust him for me to give him a gun (he got a .22 last year and he's grounded from that, too.) I'm a mean old woman, apparently. Smiley

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 02:14:12 PM »
"I'm a mean old woman, apparently."

Sigh....I wish you'd quit tempting me with straight lines like that,  that beg replies that put my life in danger.  Tongue  Cheesy
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 02:39:43 PM »
Smiley

Well, Ryan would probably be glad I was yelling at someone else for a change.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 02:58:27 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
He's already fighting his brother over the 100+ firearms in my collection, and I'm not even dead yet.
WOuld you adopt me? I can cook... Cheesy

I've been thinking about getting my wife the S&W .38 lightweight J frame with the laser grips she's been talking about but I don't think that what she really wants. Not romantic enough I'd guess...
Screw you, I can cook, do laundry, and clean!!
:neener:

Some friends of ours moved into a nice house in a bad neighborhood.  I told the wife I want to get them a shottie for christmas she said no I'd offend thier choice of housing.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

danny

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 05:44:35 PM »
I've already bought the wife a Ruger MKIII that she's been drooling over since a guy at the range let her fire his.  I also picked up a red-dot sight for it.  She's been wanting this combination for quite a while.  Also have several additional magazines for it on order.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 04:10:00 AM »
I may get myself a firearm for Christmas, but not sure yet, as finances are somewhat tight.

My wife did it right & asked for her AnniversaryChristmasBirthdayValentine'sDayGuyFawksDay present in September.  Wise woman, she is.

I also prefer Glen Beck's term, "Ramahanakwanzmas" to denote the bullhockey PC-ing of the "Holidays."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 09:31:24 AM »
I'm not buying any, but I've asked Santa (aka Dad) to set up some range time with a pistol coach in my home town, and he's hinted that he'll pay my initiation fees for a gun club that I've been looking into.
Experiment with a chemist!

Greg Levy

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 07:31:10 PM »
Well, our big gift is a new computer this year, so no gun for me.  My wife may live to eat her words though...

A few weeks ago, I asked her what kind of gun she wanted for Christmas.  She said she REALLY didn't want a gun this year.  Then she got a wistful look in her eyes and said, that if I did get her a gun, it had better be a little pearl handled derringer.  

Well, just my luck...I stopped at a gun store on the way home from work last week, and behold, a stainless, pearl handled 22lr Cobra Enterprises Derringer.  Not the highest quality gun in the world, or the most useful, but for $130ish, something I can squeeze in the budget, and hopefully make the wife smile.  

greg

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 07:46:20 PM »
um.... nope.  don't think my PO would approve.  hehe