Author Topic: I was just given some fresh frozen venison loin-need a good recipie.  (Read 3106 times)

onions!

Have a favorite?

Let 'er rip!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
I was just given some fresh frozen venison loin-need a good recipie.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 10:56:07 AM »
Back loins (sirloin) or belly loins (fillet)?

Belly loins I like to make vension and egg noodles. With carrots, celery and onion.

Back loins, I'll cut into 1.5" inch pieces, butterfly them and dust heavily with cavender's greek seasoning and grill to rare to medium rare over charcoal.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

onions!

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 11:05:39 AM »
Sorry,I got a little excited there.Smiley

They're back loins.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 11:31:43 AM »
I don't have a recipe (my mom makes it), but venison stew is DELICIOUS.  W/ potatoes, carrots, and peas.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 11:50:33 AM »
Lightly sauted (sp) in butter is my choice. Medium rare. MMMMmmmmm....
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 01:47:23 PM »
Shake some Grill mate seasoning of your choice on them dudes and cook to medium rare on a grill.   Anything more and you will insult their status. Wink

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 02:11:41 PM »
Put 'em on the grill with some real Polish Sausage links, preferably purchased from a family owned Polish meat market.
Cook till medium rare and then throw away the loins and eat the Polish sausage with a bunch of saurkraut and mashed potatoes.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 03:00:16 PM »
I mix about one cup of brown sugar with enough soy sauce to make a thick slurry.  I add a few tablespoons of balsamic vinegar to this and marinate the loin for 3-12 hours (keep rotating loin to ensure complete coverage).  When I'm ready to cook, I take the loin out, wrap it in bacon, set it on a cooking rack with a pan beneath, pour the rest of the marinade over it, and cook at 350 for 30-40 minutes.  Once done, I then slice the loin with the wraps of bacon and serve these venison/bacon medallions with whatever vegetable I'm in the mood for.

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 03:31:03 PM »
My recommendation:

Ziploc bag each loin, evacuating as much air out of them as you can.  This is an important step in preparation, trust me.  Then freeze them overnight, making certain they are completely frozen.  

Day two: Put the individually frozen and bagged tenderloins into one large ziploc bag, and head for the local FedEx drop-off point.  

Note:  stop by the local grocery store on the way, and pick up at least one 5-pound block of dry ice on the way, this will make a dramatic difference in the recipe's outcome.  

Now this is important, otherwise the tenderloins will be ruint - when you get to FedEx, place the tenderloins and the dry ice in the same box, keeping it all snugly together before taping the whole thing securely together.

Address the box to the Gewehr98 Starving and Homesick Air Force Wisconsinite Tenderloin Trust, PM me and I'll send the rest of the address.  Since you want to do this right, go ahead and have the FedEx folks label the box Overnight Delivery.  It shouldn't be too terribly expensive, and you have to treat those exquisite cuts of venison just so...

That's it.  Walk away, you've done the hard part.  Within hours of your drop-off, those venison tenderloins will be thawed and sitting in a marinade.  Then they'll be pan-seared in a little olive oil, accompanied by cloves of fresh garlic and fresh-ground peppercorns.  A nice baked potato with sour cream, bacon bits, and chives rounds out the ensemble. Can't you just see and smell it? I can!

For those who think they're on to me - fear not, this is not an underhanded effort to connive somebody out of their fresh venison.  As a matter of fact, the Gewehr98 Starving and Homesick Wisconsinite Tenderloin Trust Fund is more than capable of handling generously proportioned fresh cuts of elk and bison when they're afforded the same loving treatment as the above FedEx'ed venison tenderloins.  Honest, we're just that good.  

(Still bums me out I won't make it home in time for deer season this year, so I'll just have to slurp more oysters and buffalo wings at Bunky's Raw Bar. ) Sad
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

onions!

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 06:08:09 PM »
Lennyjoe,280plus,& charby?Ya'll seem to be of a similar mind.Before I asked I was planning on treating these like I would a pork loin.I'd sear them in a HOT cast iron skillet w/olive oil & then into the oven until tenderly done.I like the grilling idea-I just might do one outside(if I can find my grill under the snow!).Thanks.

Mtnbkr?It sounds like you're a bit of a gourmet.It also sounds like a little work for a very nice reward.I have your ingredient but I'd have never thought to put those together that way on my own.Perhaps saturday night I'll do the second loin up that way.(I wish that my screen was a scratch'n'sniff right now!)

phantom?Your mom cooks?You want a new stepdad?

Quote from: grampster
Put 'em on the grill with some real Polish Sausage links, preferably purchased from a family owned Polish meat market.
Cook till medium rare and then throw away the loins and eat the Polish sausage with a bunch of saurkraut and mashed potatoes.
I swear,I finally had my first"xxx u owe me a keyboard..."moment!:lol:

Last I checked there were only two decent meat markets around here.The one on M-45 just west of Wilson & Balls in the Plainfield Plaza.If you have a secret source for kielbasa,please,let me know.Sam's has some good cuts too-but no sausages.

Sauerkraut is one of those Jekyll & Hyde foods.In slaw it's great.Cooked it becomes one of those veggies that I have to wonder just how desperate our ancestors were to find edibles.Like beets,broc(ugh,I can't even spell it!),& califlower.Bleck!!

Gewer98?I'm afraid that,due to a winter storm in the midwest,I'll be unable to overnight said tender succulent chunks of deer meat to you.I'd hate to have you open the package to find that they had warmed to room temperature whilst sitting in the back of a Brown van.You'll be in my thoughts though.Rest assured.

IIRC you're about to retire yes?Maybe next year you can freeze your but off in wet frozen slush traipsing through a swamp looking for a ghost or maybe fall asleep against a tree while them durned critters browse at your feet on a sunny fall afternoon.Wink

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 06:24:22 PM »
Strange that your asking about venison tenderloin recipes.  I've been trying to think of a good way to cook me up some. I've got a venison roast in the slow cooker right now.  I need to find a way to use them up. I still have about 120 pounds of venison in the freezer from last season and I hope to add another 150 to 200 pounds this month.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 07:15:26 PM »
Jeff w,

Drive around the West Side, Butterworth or Lake Mich Dr or some obscure streets.  If you look hard enough you will find Kielbasa extordinare.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 01:06:29 AM »
Lennyjoe,280plus,& charby?Ya'll seem to be of a similar mind.
except, in this particular case, I prefer the VERY  un-PC butter to olive oil. Try a mix of a little butter with a little olive oil . Saute is what I said but pan sear is more what I meant. I'm not sure how well butter and high heat work together though. Try it a couple different ways I'd say.

If they're like a pork loin you can cut some medallions. Just don't over cook them. Those are best IMHO nice and pink inside. I knew a guy who would cut it up into little bite sized pieces, marinade it somehow and then eat it raw like sushi. Very tender and very tasty!

Meanwhile I'll be stealing a few of these other recipes...

Daniel, might I suggest an equally rewarding donation to the 280PLUS Home for Wayward Old Sailors?  I'll,,,uh, I mean,,, We'll put that pesky venison to good use for you!

You know, being all furry and cute and everything, deer probably wouldn't have many problems. It's just that they're so darn TASTY! That's their downfall.

Cheesy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 02:35:17 AM »
You know, being all furry and cute and everything, deer probabl7y wouldn't have many problems. It's just that they're so TASTY! That's their downfall.
That and getting into traffic.  I keep telling my wife, the reason I hunt is to reduce the number of potential accidents she can have.  She's hit two since I met her.  

Mtnbkr?It sounds like you're a bit of a gourmet.
Actually, I found that recipe on the Internet.  My only modification was to add the balsamic vinegar.  It really livened up the marinade.  BTW, I forgot to mention the use of toothpics to hold the bacon in place...

Chris

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 04:16:48 AM »
LOL, I was just talking about deer hunting with a lady on the phone down at  www.Georgia-Arms.com and I told her I'd probably have better luck hitting one with my car than actually tracking one down and killing it. I've managed to miss 3 (one a very nice buck) in the past few weeks. 2 very close but I'm looking for them, so far so good. Then just yesterday I barely missed a full metal 5 gallon pail of something and then later a metal cabinet that fell off the truck in front of me. His back door was up. Much to his suprise, I'll bet. The boss ain't gonna be too happy. I drive a lot. It's been a harrowing experience lately. shocked

GEEZ, I JUST REMEMBERED!! Gramps reminded me. (THANKS!!) What a coincidence. I'm invited down to a supplier's for lunch. VENISON SAUSAGE!!

Cheesy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 05:30:37 AM »
We've teased my wife about having her park the car below our treestands so we'll have a better chance at seeing deer.  For some reason, she doesn't find it as funny as we do.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 08:51:48 AM »
My favorite loin recipe is to freeze it for about an hour to make it easier to slice into medallions.

Then I dredge it in flour, an egg wash, and bread crumbs, and pan fry it.

When all of the medallions are done, I make a pan gravy, adding mushrooms and onions, and serve all over wild rice.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.