Author Topic: Close call, makes you think  (Read 1827 times)

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Close call, makes you think
« on: December 05, 2005, 05:16:39 PM »
I was invited to a pheasant hunt in Lamar CO for Saturday morning, about 110 miles east of here.  I left about 5 am, had a great time, and headed home about 4:30 pm.

I'm driving into a blowing snowstorm, roads are wet but OK, but visibility isn't much good.  Just west of Rocky Ford, I'm going about 65 MPH when I see a building in front of me.  OK, the road will curve left around the building.

Freaking TRACTOR, going 17 MPH (hey, I know these things) was going down the highway.  BIG tractor, with a bunch of lights and a BIG implement on the back.  I whipped around that tractor and realized there is NO curve on that part of the highway, I knew that, I've been on that highway many times before.  I probably missed by a couple feet.  My truck wouldn't have had a chance against that 10 ton pile of metal.

What would have happened if there had been more traffic?

48 hours later I am just beginning to realize just how close I came, in fact I just told Sandy about it tonight, I couldn't bring myself to mention it Saturday night.

Saying a prayer tonight that I am still here.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 05:38:24 PM »
It does make you think.  Glad your awareness, driving skills, and good luck all came together at the right time to prevent disaster.

I wish it would snow down here.
For entertainment purposes only.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 06:37:11 PM »
I'm glad you're still with us, Larry.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 06:58:33 PM »
Larry, not questioning your decisions or actions (you're doing a good job by yourself), but I would like to share a bit of driving advice.

Grandad was a truck driver for 43 years.  He has a plaque on his wall for logging his first three million miles without a wreck.  Grandad is as good a driver as there ever was.  He will be 82 on Wednesday, and he has yet to have a wreck in anything.  When I was getting ready to take my license test, Grandad took me out in his car for some one-on-one training.  As a direct result of him, I have avoided more than a few mishaps.

While we were out driving, he asked me if I knew how to drive on ice and snow.  I didn't have the faintest idea, so I said no.
"Well, son, listen: NOBODY knows how to drive on ice.  If it's snowing or icy outside, the best way to stay safe is to build yourself a nice fire, make some hot chocolate, and curl up on the couch with a blanket and that pretty little girlfriend of yours."  Following his advice, and substituting a good classic book for the time I've been single, has kept me from ever having a wreck on ice.

Oddly enough, that's also the closest my grandfather and I have ever come to discussing sex.  Go figure on that one.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 07:11:13 PM »
Life happens, Larry.  The fact that it disturbed you is evidence that you absosrbed it.  You are a man that has savored risk.  That is true freedom.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 02:45:43 AM »
You mean like a farm tractor?  So, was he plowing [in December?], or just moving it to work on it over the winter or what?

Good lesson, stay in Condition Yellow and don't slack off.  What gun for tractors?Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 03:24:44 AM »
Some lazy farmers are still harvesting corn right now.  I know one guy who used to do it the first day after Christmas.

Glad you are still with us, Larry.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 05:40:30 AM »
What gun for tractors?
This one:

Glad you're still with us, Larry.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 07:16:19 AM »
Glad you missed it. I think you will be OK in that you realize that you made a mistake and learned from it. LOTS of people will make the same dangerous mistake over and over, thinking that since there was no crash there was no problem. I would bet you will not let it happen again.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 07:58:02 AM »
You hanging in OK Larry? According to the news reports you guys are getting one bear of a storm right now.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 08:33:30 AM »
Quote from: garrettwc
You hanging in OK Larry? According to the news reports you guys are getting one bear of a storm right now.
Not yet.  We're on the eastern plains (Pueblo) and we're supposed to get hit late this afternoon.  Worst part is going to be the cold, high for tomorrow is going to be 11 degrees and 10 below by tomorrow night.

El T, yes, farm tractor, BIG farm tractor.  I don't know what he was doing, maybe subsoiling.  I don't have a problem with tractors using the roads, but not at night, during a snowstorm.

Thanks everybody for your concern.