Author Topic: Have you seen this pic? WW2 US Marines/Navy in Philadephia  (Read 1381 times)

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
Have you seen this pic? WW2 US Marines/Navy in Philadephia
« on: December 06, 2005, 11:17:51 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone here has seen this clipping, perhaps one with more text and more of the picture.  I don't know anything about it other than the Marine in the front is most likely my grandpa.  I realize it's quite a long shot, but I believe it's also worth a shot.  Thanks for looking.

"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 06:21:55 PM »
I have never seen the picture. But with a quick google search of the visible caption I was able to come up with the following:

The ship is the USS Boise CL-47. A cruiser. The photo was taken sometime during the month of November 1942. The part of the caption I can see indicates that the ship had six(based on the number of fingers held up) "kills" in battle. The ship was arriving in the Philadelphia Navy Yard, Pennsylvania, for battle damage repairs, November 1942. She had been hit by enemy shellfire in the Battle of Cape Esperance on 12 October 1942, resulting in a large fire that burned out her three forward 6"/47 gun turrets and their ammunition spaces. This according to the following link:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/04047.htm

You could check the archives of the Philadelphia newspapers for that time. The paper or the local library in Philly should have them on microfilm.

Here's a link to a memories website with details about the ship and crew:
http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/ships/boise.html

If your grandad is the Marine in the picture then he would have been part of the Marine contingent at Guadalcanal Sept 1942 according the second website I linked.

I know this isn't much, but maybe it can point you in the right direction.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 06:35:49 PM »
Were there still Marines posted aboard cruisers during WW II?

I know there were on battleships and carriers, but I don't know about cruisers.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 04:00:52 AM »
Were there still Marines posted aboard cruisers during WW II?

I know there were on battleships and carriers, but I don't know about cruisers.
Don't know. From the article I linked, the mission of the Boise at the time was to take reinforcements and re-supply to the first wave on Guadalcanal and to bring some of the original landing force out. That may explain the Marine presence in the photo.

mhdishere

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 04:06:54 AM »
IIRC Jeff Cooper was a Marine who was posted on a cruiser during WW II.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 12:06:22 PM »
Yes, Marine Detachments were stationed on heavy cruisers in WWII.  Heavy cruisers were still classified as "capital ships" at that time.  Task Groups of cruisers and destroyers would have the flag aboard a heavy cruiser.

The first nuclear powered guided missle cruisers, the USS Truxton and USS Bainbridge still had Marine Detachments aboard during the 70's.  I was aboard the Truxton for a couple of days in '77, and she had a Marine Detachment of approximately 20 folks at that time.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 12:25:16 PM »
Call this man:
Mr. Don Fitch                                   801-972-2348
     PO Box 26933
     Salt Lake City, UT 84126-0933

He's the last person I can find listed as the contact for the USS Boise group.