Author Topic: Blood sugar and cinnamon use question  (Read 988 times)

Jacobus Rex

Blood sugar and cinnamon use question
« on: December 06, 2005, 02:53:45 PM »
Anyone ever use cinnamon supplements to try to help your blood sugar levels?  I'm wondering if it seems to work?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 03:12:31 PM »
I would think that the important this is does it work?  Not does it seem to work. Cheesy  

I've never heard of the concept before your post, but apparently there may be a metabolic basis for this.
The active ingredient in cinnamon turned out to be a water-soluble polyphenol compound called MHCP. In test tube experiments, MHCP mimics insulin, activates its receptor, and works synergistically with insulin in cells.

To see if it would work in people, Alam Khan, who was a postdoctoral fellow in Anderson's lab, organised a study in Pakistan. Volunteers with Type 2 diabetes were given one, three or six grams of cinnamon powder a day, in capsules after meals.

All responded within weeks, with blood sugar levels that were on average 20 per cent lower than a control group. Some even achieved normal blood sugar levels. Tellingly, blood sugar started creeping up again after the diabetics stopped taking cinnamon.

The cinnamon has additional benefits. In the volunteers, it lowered blood levels of fats and "bad" cholesterol, which are also partly controlled by insulin. And in test tube experiments it neutralised free radicals, damaging chemicals which are elevated in diabetics.
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4413
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

onions!

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 03:38:50 PM »
Now that's damned interesting!I work closely w/ two Type II fellows & I'm going to print that for them.

I wonder what their Drs. would/will say.

Thanks!

HForrest

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 10:07:35 PM »
I have heard before on multiple occasions that cinnamon is good- specifically for blood sugar regulation, but in general as well. It seems cinnamon is easy enough to sprinkle on top of certain things- might as well try it.