Author Topic: Photomedia Bias  (Read 1700 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Photomedia Bias
« on: October 29, 2015, 09:45:42 AM »
As I'm reading this article:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2015/10/28/map-that-shows-how-huge-europes-refugee-crisis-really-is?cmpid=tp-fb

I'm struck by this photo:

Very heartstrings-pulling, of the family with 4 girls, just trying to find a better economic future errr... escape violence!, I mean.

Note what the cameraman did to get this photo- look at the members of the background:

Other than the one family that is the focus of the picture I count 4 women and one child (another possible youngish teenager) that are in this large group of migrants, I mean "refugees". The other 20-30 are young men, travelling alone.

The photo was taken to tell a story and SPECIFICALLY to avoid the real story. The "journalist" wants to make it seem as though these are families, while the truth comes through if you look beyond where they are trying to direct your focus. 
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Photomedia Bias
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 09:51:11 AM »
Besides the folks in the immediate front, I see three other women (two rear center, one rear right) and one child. But yes, other than that, lots of healthy young men.

I have a theory for this that is not necessarily nefarious. If you knew enough about European policy, you would know that family reunification is offered to asylum seekers. So you would send your youngest and strongest ahead, banking on their ability to get to Germany or Sweden easiest and fastest, then bring the rest of the extended family.

This does not really detract from the reality of invasion, however, since these 2 million immigrants, 70% men, could easily multiply to between 4 and 6  million with reunification, and up to 20 million in 20 years with the typical Islamic birthrate.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 09:55:30 AM »
Those others are victims of the poorly organized rape centers refugee camps whose families have taken the opportunity to ditch them whose families have become separated from them.

I'm curious where the photog found a stretch of railroad line that is not littered with trampled food parcels, diapers, and torn/shredded NGO relief agency blankets.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 10:12:37 AM »
I noticed also that the two women to the rear center don't appear to have any head coverings.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 03:24:43 PM »
Compare and contrast:

WWII Refugees (and if you google images "WWII refugees", you find much of the same as is posted here.)

Present day Refugees.  Picture from Deutche-Welle. The Munich main train station (Hauptbahnhof) flooded with refugees.

While Jocasse's theory is plausible, in the past when people have had their lives up heaved by war, it was the very young, the very old, the very sick, and the very female that filled the roads leading away from the fighting.   Seeing hundreds and thousands of unaccompanied military age males fleeing sans women and children makes my BS meter do more than just flicker...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 03:50:53 PM »
Compare and contrast:

WWII Refugees (and if you google images "WWII refugees", you find much of the same as is posted here.)

[img]http://image.slidesharecdn.com/world-war-ii-rages-on-1234304777072271-2/95/world-war-ii-rages-on-3-728.jpg?cb=1234283275

Present day Refugees.  Picture from Deutche-Welle. The Munich main train station (Hauptbahnhof) flooded with refugees.

[img]http://www.dw.com/image/0,,18710924_401,00.jpg

While Jocasse's theory is plausible, in the past when people have had their lives up heaved by war, it was the very young, the very old, the very sick, and the very female that filled the roads leading away from the fighting.   Seeing hundreds and thousands of unaccompanied military age males fleeing sans women and children makes my BS meter do more than just flicker...

Yes, this. My mom's stories of being a refugee during WW2 line up with just what Scout is saying. The military aged men, including my grandpa and Uncle, were taken by the military. Their entire caravan, from their village in Hungary that was bombed by the Russians, was made up of women and children and a few old men. Many of the elderly (and even younger people) stayed in the village. Many of those who stayed were shot or sent to Siberia, and the village was repopulated by people Russia wanted to get rid of but not kill. My mom's family started out with a horse and wagon. That was taken by German soldiers who said they needed it for the war. They spent the rest of their time on the road pretty much with the clothes on their backs as food and valuables were taken from them as well.

Interestingly, I just read that many of these refugees are actually pretty well off and could afford to fly to Europe, except that there is apparently some EU regulation that forbids their entry via commercial airlines, which is why they're using coyotes, riding bikes, etc. Most all of them seem to have luxury items like cell phones, etc. and money to pay for meals.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 03:55:42 PM »
While Jocasse's theory is plausible, in the past when people have had their lives up heaved by war, it was the very young, the very old, the very sick, and the very female that filled the roads leading away from the fighting.   Seeing hundreds and thousands of unaccompanied military age males fleeing sans women and children makes my BS meter do more than just flicker...

I think this period will provide future military historians with an analysis of invasion without weaponry. (should enough records survive to facilitate such study)

I have to think this kind of insanity will be met with incredulity that any humans could be THIS stupid so as to aid the demise of their own country/culture.

Yet, we get to witness it firsthand.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Photomedia Bias
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 07:05:19 PM »
I think this period will provide future military historians with an analysis of invasion without weaponry. (should enough records survive to facilitate such study)

I have to think this kind of insanity will be met with incredulity that any humans could be THIS stupid so as to aid the demise of their own country/culture.

In other words, future societies will consider the Mexican government military geniuses....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 07:17:21 PM »
Without downplayingredients the issue in the SW US, it has been my experience that MAM from Islamic cultures are an order of magnitude more trouble than those of Hispanic decent.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 10:11:12 PM »
Those others are victims of the poorly organized rape centers refugee camps whose families have taken the opportunity to ditch them whose families have become separated from them.

I'm curious where the photog found a stretch of railroad line that is not littered with trampled food parcels, diapers, and torn/shredded NGO relief agency blankets.

stay safe.
You can only see a little of the ground.  What you can see does show trash though it is torn up and in smaller pieces.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »
Without downplayingredients the issue in the SW US, it has been my experience that MAM from Islamic cultures are an order of magnitude more trouble than those of Hispanic decent.

With regard to toxins, it is all about the dosage.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 02:49:56 PM »
You can only see a little of the ground.  What you can see does show trash though it is torn up and in smaller pieces.

Looks more like a dirt farm road then anything else.  Which make sense.  When Hungary and other nations closed their borders, it was along the main roads.  So the "refugees", began spreading out looking for the "backways", undefended/protected secondary and tertiary roads like dirt farm roads,,,

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 07:09:40 PM »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »
I don't get that last one.

I just wanted to chime in to say you can't always blame the photographer. The photojournalist's customer is not you. It is the editors and art directors. The photographer may take hundreds of images giving more objective portrayal, but they can't make the editors use them.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 11:00:57 PM »

Underlining is mine.  It's taken a bit longer...over the last 50 years, but the country and culture of America has changed coarsened and degraded as well.  And I'm not even saying anything about the flood of immigrants over that period.  It's occurred from within.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 11:17:18 PM »

QFT
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
Underlining is mine.  It's taken a bit longer...over the last 50 years, but the country and culture of America has changed coarsened and degraded as well.  And I'm not even saying anything about the flood of immigrants over that period.  It's occurred from within.

In my corner, it has happened from without.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 12:10:43 AM »
I don't get that last one.

"Thanks Tom, Bob here reporting from the scene.  There has been a huge turnout in supporters/opponents of....."

That what that is.  Making the picture fit the narrative.

I just wanted to chime in to say you can't always blame the photographer. The photojournalist's customer is not you. It is the editors and art directors. The photographer may take hundreds of images giving more objective portrayal, but they can't make the editors use them.

And you are right, to an extent.  However, there is a great deal of collusion.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.