Author Topic: Mandatory march to commemorate march for freedom  (Read 1133 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Mandatory march to commemorate march for freedom
« on: September 27, 2014, 05:58:05 PM »
http://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/politics_and_government/governmental_and_political_topics/rights/march-on-frederick-puts-focus-on-past-future-of-civil/article_f67bfc27-7ae0-503b-bb2e-1a809220377f.html

That same spirit prevailed Friday in Frederick, when Hood College led more than 1,200 students, faculty and other local residents nearly 2 miles from Harry Grove Stadium to the Rosemont Avenue campus in a commemorative “March on Frederick.”

The march was the crown jewel in a year of programming to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. School officials said it also marks the same milestone since Hood enrolled its first black student. . . .

Helena Hammond-DoDoo, a senior at Hood, called the march a great concept that needed better execution. Participation was mandatory for some student groups whether people were truly interested or not, she said.

“If we have absent-minded people sitting here not really listening, what have we really done?” she said.

Many students, like freshman Katie Hippert, said they view civil rights as “freedom for everyone.”

Emilie had a more clear-cut definition: “the right for anyone to go and do whatever they please, as long as it’s lawful.”

Lemme see here - a march to celebrate the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which among other things gave some folks the freedom to exercise the freedoms of this great country.  A mandatory march - with who knows what sort of penalties for failing to obey orders to show up.

"It feels really good," Hood junior Ashley Barnes said. "It feels like I'm doing something that really matters for once."

Many students, like freshman Katie Hippert, said they view civil rights as "freedom for everyone."

Emilie had a more clear-cut definition: "the right for anyone to go and do whatever they please, as long as it's lawful."

I'm about ready to just throw in the towel and give up, but since it would be a white towel I'd probably be accused of making some rassist statement.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Mandatory march to commemorate march for freedom
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 09:44:41 AM »
"Unclear on the concept."

Reminds me of the Army: "I need three volunteers ... you, you and you."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 12:43:59 PM »
Haven't a lot of publik skuuls been imposing "mandatory volunteerism" already?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 12:57:46 PM »
Haven't a lot of publik skuuls been imposing "mandatory volunteerism" already?

The definition of "volunteer" is changing to mean just "unpaid".
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »
The definition of "volunteer" is changing to mean just "unpaid".
Hmmm . . . by the evolving standards of today, Kunta Kinte was actually a volunteer . . .

Got it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain