Author Topic: Odd browser problem  (Read 651 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Odd browser problem
« on: October 27, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
I've got an odd browser problem. I use Firefox and have for several years. lately I have a serious lag between hitting a key and seeing a response in the browser window, it's worse than using a 300 bps modem. There is as much as a 2 second delay between hitting the key and the response in the window. This only goes on with Firefox. IE doesn't have the same problem.
Anybody have any ideas
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Odd browser problem
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:23:17 PM »
If it's not happening with other browsers, my first thought would be you have a trojan or similar, possibly redirecting FF before it goes where you want. You should try running Spybot Search and Destroy and / or Malware Bytes on it. Or else another clean solution is zap it and do a fresh install. (though some trojans I think can write themselves to registry files that wouldn't get removed with a normal uninstall).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 10:38:15 PM »

Having a similar lag problem with Firefox at work after a recent update.

It's stalling like hell on scripts.  Fast response on pages with no scripts.  Friggin' molasses on pages with certain kinds of scripting.

Currently switching to Chrome at work.  My other Firefox installations are all working fine.  Not upgrading them until I have a better understanding of this.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 10:39:36 PM »
If it's a scripting problem you can try and turn the java module off.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 10:50:36 PM »
Don't know if this will help for the work computers, but for home at least, you can go to Firefox's Extended Support version. It's version ten, I think, and it just basically does away with the frequent version updates.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 10:59:34 PM »
pretty sure it's a firefox issue. I just did a reset of FF and now the problem seems to be cleared up if I can just get my settings back to the way it looked before. I'm getting lazy in my old age and don't want to bother keeping things up to date.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 11:01:29 PM »
I use firefox and scripts are driving me nutso.  I would install NoScript but don't have the ram space.  Can't wait for my new system.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 11:31:53 PM »
Well crap, a few minute later I'm back to 300bps speed with the typing thing

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 11:34:49 PM »
Trying it with all the add ons disabled seems to fix it for the moment.

Samuel Adams