Author Topic: It's been 40 years since man last walked on the moon  (Read 927 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
It's been 40 years since man last walked on the moon
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:16:51 AM »
I was a huge fan of the Apollo moon missions. From the time I could read a newspaper I had saved every possible clipping I could find, My scrap book started with Apollo 7 I think and continued through the Skylab missions. (Mom pitched it when I went in the Navy).
At the tender age of 6 I wanted to be an astronaut and was hugely disappointed that we ended the moon missions. (That dream died when I had to wear glasses at 10 years old. :'( )
Those of you to young to remember, it really was kind of a big deal
 =D

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/12/12/another-giant-step-last-man-on-moon-calls-for-return/

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: It's been 40 years since man last walked on the moon
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:25:27 AM »
I was nine years old and remember staying up that night to see Neil and Buzz walk on the moon through the grainy live TV coverage.  Life long fan of the space program, here.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:40:18 AM »
I was nine years old and remember staying up that night to see Neil and Buzz walk on the moon through the grainy live TV coverage.  Life long fan of the space program, here.

Dang, you're old. I was only 7 for that one =D.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 09:06:35 AM »
"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
Or what's a heaven for?"
-Another Browning
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »
Dang, you're old. I was only 7 for that one =D.

I was 15.  It would have been a bigger deal, but I had something else going on that summer  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 10:13:15 AM »
I was 12, on vacation with my folks, and saw the Apollo 11 moonshot from a hotel parking lot in Winterhaven, Florida. We watched the liftoff on TV, then went outside and soon, WAY off in the distance, saw a bright orange "cone" rising up from the horizon. It was pretty small - about like a candle flame at 50 feet - but looking through binoculars, I told myself I could see a little black speck at the apex, the Saturn V itself.

It's hard to describe how proud I felt of my country not just with the liftoff, but the moon landing and safe return of the astronauts.

And how bitterly disappointed I was when the moon missions were canceled early to help save money for welfare.  :'(

And as for the retirement of the Space Shuttle in 2012 and ceding all manned spaceflight capability to Russia when we're pissing away a trillion dollars a year on welfare . . .  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »
If you haven't already done so, track down a copy of "Failure is Not an Option" by Gene Kranz.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!