Author Topic: Here we go again, more tornadoes!  (Read 3963 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Here we go again, more tornadoes!
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 06:02:29 PM »
I'm glad they gave the local emergency folks something to do.  I'm sure they were bored last night.

Morons.

I disagree with the morons part.  Good storm chasers provide data and information on storms, confirm damage and report funnels and touchdowns.  They are very much a part of the process.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 07:13:36 PM »
I dunno, if you choose to dance with the devil...   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 08:40:13 PM »
I dunno, if you choose to dance with the devil...   =|

Science and exploration comes with risk sometimes. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »
I was watching some live feed of this thing last night, and it seems the tornado that got most of the cars made an unexpected, and unanticipated U shaped detour to the south for about 3 miles, and then back north to the original track. Caught a lot of people by surprise, even the storm chasers.

bob

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 09:22:32 PM »
Science and exploration comes with risk sometimes.

Dude, I used to fly 4-engine and 8-engine jets into nuclear debris clouds.

Even we knew when it was too much for us, though.  Then we got the hell out of Dodge...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 11:02:29 PM »
I was watching some live feed of this thing last night, and it seems the tornado that got most of the cars made an unexpected, and unanticipated U shaped detour to the south for about 3 miles, and then back north to the original track. Caught a lot of people by surprise, even the storm chasers.

bob

The tornado chasers were chased by the tornado  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 11:21:59 PM »

Even we knew when it was too much for us, though.  Then we got the hell out of Dodge...

the chasers say they were trying to get out of dodge and the tornado followed them.
JD

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 11:31:36 PM »
Why does everyone want to get out of Dodge? Some of my best deployments in P3s were in Dodge (Diego Garcia).  ;)   :laugh:

Of course, that was when we still lived in tents and hooches by the water. Once the military caught up with the place, it was time to get out of Dodge.

bob

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 11:23:56 AM »

the chasers say they were trying to get out of dodge and the tornado followed them.

if it was a yukon then it was not a dodge, it was a gmc  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 01:39:48 PM »
Three well known researchers/chasers were among the dead.
You really have to keep your head on a swivel out there.  Always be ready for the "right movers" as we called them back when I chased for SKYWARN and the NWS.
There are too many idiots just chasing for the thrill and have no business being out there.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:43:44 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2013, 01:55:56 PM »

My father spent part of WW2 stationed at Bryan Army Air Station in Bryan, Texas. His best friend there, according to my mother, was "JB" Jones-Burdick, whose primary activity was flying airplanes into hurricanes in the days before we had things like Doppler weather radar and satellite imagery to tell us how big the storms are and what the wind speeds are.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2013, 01:57:34 PM »
While the TWC guys survived, there were three that didn't:  http://news.yahoo.com/trio-storm-chasers-died-fridays-oklahoma-tornadoes-155023762.html

While some of what they do is science, quite a bit is just adrenaline junky stuff.  Especially most of what they put on TV.

edited to add: RM beat me to it.    :P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:25:13 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2013, 04:11:24 PM »
Our turn in South Cackalacky!  Have one somewhere in my AO now, phone went crazy and sirens going off. Heh, I didnt even know we had them.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 04:18:34 PM »
Joy!

Per the news weenies little cone graph my house is about smack in the middle. How nice.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »
Joy!

Per the news weenies little cone graph my house is about smack in the middle. How nice.

Been a while.  Update? 
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »
There's this house on some woman and all these little weird dudes running around singing about some road.....Nah we're in the clear now.

Had the weather station on and last mention he made of a confirmed sighting was about 2/3 of a mile west and a little south of my apartment, with the storm tracking east and a little north.

The rotation stopped and the warning was canceled about five minutes before it would have been passing over my house, and the spot that had had the rotation passed right over me with the strongest spot just a hair north. So it mighta been a little breezy at case del lupe had I not scared it off.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2013, 05:49:59 PM »

if it was a yukon then it was not a dodge, it was a gmc  :lol:

[HeavyItalianAccent]
     All done, Lady.  Tank you for da work.
     Oh, and, lady?  One ting:  around back?  Iss no porch.  Iss Lamborghini.

[/HeavyItalianAccent]

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2013, 11:29:35 PM »
So there was a tornado in my AO, but I didn't know till later. I was in the basement eating chili. We had some very high winds; some trees came down on houses. A very large branch landed about 18" from my house, but without touching it. We've been without power for about 3 days, but it's supposed to come back on tonight.

I have some mildly interesting stories from the experience, mostly involving a little girl, who asked me if black people can be cowgirls.

Yes, really.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 12:29:22 AM »
While some of what they do is science, quite a bit is just adrenaline junky stuff.  Especially most of what they put on TV.

That's where "morons" comes from.

I used to live in Oklahoma City.  Every jackass with a 4x4 thinks he's a tornaduh hunter.  If you're from OU or NOAA (or even the local news), I still think you're an idiot, but I recognize your contribution.  If you're carrying a camera for any reason other than research or early warning, you're just sucking up rescue services.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 05:54:51 PM »
Our turn in South Cackalacky!  Have one somewhere in my AO now, phone went crazy and sirens going off. Heh, I didnt even know we had them.

All 50 (57 if you're president) states get tornadoes.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »

They are awfully rare in Alaska and Hawaii -- and weak when they do get them.  Oddly, (I think it's odd) they are rarer in Alaska than Hawaii.
"It's good, though..."

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 06:28:25 PM »
Oh we get the tornadoes on occasion, usually 0s or weak F1s. Strong winds the people misidentify as a tornado is more common though.

Was referring to the sirens. Suppose it might have just been the fire engines, though it didn't sound like they normally do.