Author Topic: I got summons!  (Read 9623 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: I got summons!
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2013, 03:59:38 PM »
Same here..  37 years old.  Been a registered voter since I turned 18.  I've never been called up for jury duty.
Same her except that I am 42.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2013, 06:04:46 PM »

It's weird.  A coworker younger than me gets called up pretty much every year.  He is at the point now that he tries to get out of jury duty, figures he has done his part already considering so many people around here have never been called.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2013, 06:07:58 PM »

I'll be 54 in two months.
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »
Set your voter registration to Libertarian, and then see how often you get called up for jury duty. ;)

They hate them FIJA people.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2013, 07:03:35 PM »
Well, my group has to be back in the morning.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2013, 08:24:17 PM »
Sixty y.o.  two weeks ago & got my first jury summons. To Fed court, yet.  Seventy miles one way but I can stay over if I want. Get paid at work, too.

Probably get cancelled.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2013, 07:50:40 PM »
Made it trough the first 2 week session without getting selected to be on a jury. I did have to set through 2 voir dires. I doubt I would have made the cut for either of those. 1st trial was a case of DHS wanting to revoke parental rights. I've got some 1sy and a half hand experience with that situation via my sister. I have been permanently biased against DHS ever since.
The 2nd case was "posesion of a firearm after felony conviction" The prosecutor asked the pool if anyonne owned a gun, about a third of the pool raised their hands, they were all asked how many and what kinds. I suspect that if I'd been asked that and I'd answered "somewhere between 25-30" and "everything from flintlocks to AR-15s".  I might have been rejected. I also might have been dismissed if they asked me my opinion of the charges themselves. I doubt we would have been told but it would matter to me what the felony was.
The judge repeated several times that the jury MUST apply the law as written regardless of their feelings on the law.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

erictank

• friends
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2013, 11:38:47 PM »
Made it trough the first 2 week session without getting selected to be on a jury. I did have to set through 2 voir dires. I doubt I would have made the cut for either of those. 1st trial was a case of DHS wanting to revoke parental rights. I've got some 1sy and a half hand experience with that situation via my sister. I have been permanently biased against DHS ever since.
The 2nd case was "posesion of a firearm after felony conviction" The prosecutor asked the pool if anyonne owned a gun, about a third of the pool raised their hands, they were all asked how many and what kinds. I suspect that if I'd been asked that and I'd answered "somewhere between 25-30" and "everything from flintlocks to AR-15s".  I might have been rejected. I also might have been dismissed if they asked me my opinion of the charges themselves. I doubt we would have been told but it would matter to me what the felony was.
The judge repeated several times that the jury MUST apply the law as written regardless of their feelings on the law.

Just cause he SAYS it...

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2013, 11:46:33 PM »
I've been called for jury duty once. I'm 25 and it was 3 years ago.

I was selected. I was not able to serve because my grandfather had died the day before jury selection and the trial was going to be on the day of the funeral.

I do hope to one day serve on an interesting case and see the whole process.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:51:26 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2013, 12:24:42 AM »
I also think it's a duty. Being self-employed (IOW, if I don't work I don't get paid), jury duty can be costly. When business is slow, though, it's not a problem.

Being white, male and middle-aged or older really reduced the odds of me being selected.

even when I really want to be on a jury, even when I volunteer for grand jury-I get turned down because my brother is a cop. :facepalm:

plus over 50 white guy. I'll never serve on a Jury, I have always shown up hoping to be picked I now know they never will.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."