Author Topic: Soup Day!  (Read 1810 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Soup Day!
« on: October 14, 2013, 04:37:46 PM »
Cool, rainy, dreary day.
Time to make soup.

Nothing fancy, Rice, some red beans, green peppers, dried tomatoes, okra and smoked sausage. A little salt, pepper, green tobasco, and whatever seasoning and herbs we had on hand that sounded good.

Cook in a crock pot till tie to eat.

Plans include a batch of cornbread made with fresh ground meal and flour.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hutch

• friend
Re: Soup Day!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:03:26 PM »
Missing onion and celery, ain'tcha?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 11:47:08 PM »
I had chicken and noodle for lunch.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:24:11 AM »
Missing onion and celery, ain'tcha?

Nah, I put some in later. I'll leave stuf like that for the last couple of hours or so, otherwise they just kind of incorporate into the soup, not that there is anything wrong with that but I like some stuff to still have a little tooth to it.

And dang, it was good.

Still haven't gotten the hang of making a small batch of soup or chili or pot of beans. With just the wife and I at home now we have plenty of soup left for tomorrow. I may add some more stuff to it for the next round.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 06:01:48 AM »
Love soup season. I've been considering an attempt to live off of soup. And alcohol.

Up until a few years ago I never knew there were hundreds of different soups to try. I was missing out.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 07:39:41 AM »
I had soup and grilled cheese and ham the last two nights for dinner.

Really hit the spot.

I'm thinking I'll do chili this evening.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 07:54:01 AM »
Ramen noodles last night....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 11:43:19 AM »
Was ambushed by a ham hock last night in the grocery store.  After being roasted alive last night, it is being tortured in a crock pot full of split green peas, onions, two bay leaves, and some chili paste.  It will suffer all day, then be put in the fridge overnight to repent, and then tomorrow suffer water-boarding to thin it down just a bit.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 11:58:32 AM »
Was ambushed followed home by a ham hock last night in the grocery store.  After being roasted alive warmed by a fire last night, it is being tortured gently bathed in a crock pot full of split green peas, onions, two bay leaves, and some chili paste.  It will suffer relax all day, then be put in the fridge overnight to repent cool and relax some more, and then tomorrow suffer water-boarding experience a refreshing rinse to thin it down just a bit.

stay safe.

Fixed with a more positive perspective.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 12:47:48 PM »
Simple BLT on tonight's menu.

Mmmmmm . . . bacon . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »
Chicken enchilada's on the menu here tonight.  Homemade French Onion Soup later this week.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 06:22:06 PM »
Fixed with a more positive perspective.

Well, maybe.  Except that the sucker did ambush me.  I was reaching for some pork steaks when the hock on the shelf above sprang at me.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 08:51:26 AM »
I made a small pot of potato soup and oh wow, it was awesome! Although I LOVE soup, I've never had much of a knack for making it (other than chicken noodle), but was really craving some when the temps dropped the other day. Used two left over baked potatoes from the night before, onion, celery, garlic, milk, and chicken broth. After cooked, I crumbled some bacon into it, cheese, and green onions. It was awesome!!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 08:58:37 AM »
I've quit using ham hocks for my soups, and instead reach for the smoked neck bones.

You have to soak them in cold water over night because they make the stock overly salty if you don't, but you get a better flavored stock so much more quickly from them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 02:27:11 PM »
I've quit using ham hocks for my soups, and instead reach for the smoked neck bones.

You have to soak them in cold water over night because they make the stock overly salty if you don't, but you get a better flavored stock so much more quickly from them.

But what do you have for supper the night before?

Although it does require strength of will not to devour the marrow before the bone goes into the soup pot.

stay safe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 02:36:09 PM »
There wore actually two ham hocks.  They work in pairs, you know.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »
Goat cheese pasta salad is today's item for the potluck lunch at work.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »
We're supposed to have a cold snap next week (overnight lows in the 40s) so I'm going to be ready for soups or stews. Anyone have more good recipes to share?
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 12:46:26 PM »
I have posted this before, think it worth repeating.  In fact, I repeated it a couple of weeks ago.  Yummy stuff!

CALDO VERDE MILPA

Puree in a blender:
   8  chiles poblanos or pasillas (fresh, green, roasted and peeled)
   1  Tablespoon corn starch
   1  cup water

Bring to a boil:
   1  quart chicken stock
   1  sprig epazote (a Mexican herb, optional)
   1  sprig cilantro

add the puree, salt to taste, and simmer 10-15 minutes.

To serve:  place one 7 ounce can of corn, drained, and 1 cup queso fresco, cubed, (jack will do nicely) in a tureen or divide between bowls, add strained soup.

Adding chunks of cooked chicken works well.

Roasting and peeling the chiles is recommended for the roasted flavor, but I often just pull the stems, strip the seeds and pith, and run the blender a bit longer.  Canned pasillas are almost as good.

Adding sauteed leeks to your potato soup or even just canned clam chowder is something to try.  (Everyone should take a leek while in the produce section. =D)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:50:53 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!