Author Topic: Remember the college post game riots? Check this out.  (Read 1766 times)

Azrael256

• friend
Remember the college post game riots? Check this out.
« on: April 13, 2005, 10:25:26 AM »
Found here: http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/17900095?source=Evening%20Standard&ct=5
Italian hooligans on rampage
By Lech Mintowt-czyz, Evening Standard
13 April 2005

A Liverpool supporter was clubbed around the head with a baseball bat by a gang of rival Juventus fans as tension rose in Turin before tonight's Champions League clash.

The incident happened after rioting Italian fans forced last night's Champions League quarterfinal to be abandoned after hurling flares and bottles on to the pitch.

AC Milan's goalkeeper was hit and injured by one of the flares thrown towards the end of the match against arch rivals Inter Milan.

Inter look set to be hit by a big fine and a three European match ban from their San Siro stadium.

Trouble started after referee Markus Merk disallowed an Inter goal. As riot police moved into the crowd to prevent chaos, one flare hit goalkeeper Nelson Dida on the shoulder, leaving him with burns and bruises.

In 10 minutes of mayhem, flares and debris continued to rain down on Dida even as he was given medical treatment and Merk called the players off the pitch for their own safety. After a 25-minute break during which firefighters were called in to clear the pitch, the match resumed - only to be called off completely after less than a minute and with 17 minutes still to play as Inter Milan thugs restarted their barrage.

Milan police chief Paolo Scarpi said officers had confiscated "a large number" of flares from fans before the game but admitted dozens had been missed.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 12:25:30 PM »
When riot police have to be on hand at a sporting event, people are taking life too seriously rolleyes

Reminds me of the South African refs who have to carry pistols to soccer matches.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

DigMe

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 01:21:03 PM »
That's soccer for ya.

brad cook

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 03:12:26 PM »
Perfect lead in for a joke I heard on BET shortly after the L.A. riots.

"Black people riot because social injustice.  White people riot because their football team won."
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 05:28:45 PM »
Quote from: DigMe
That's soccer for ya.

brad cook
Hardly.  It is, however, becoming standard for Inter Milan.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Fudgieghost

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 06:45:30 PM »
I thought the USA was the country that was all violence, gun-crazy stupid?  So, . . . . maybe not?

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 11:49:42 AM »
I always wondered what they meant when they talked about a "flare-up" of violence Tongue:
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.