Author Topic: Anyone have much experience shipping stuff to the UK?  (Read 1336 times)

Iain

• friend
Anyone have much experience shipping stuff to the UK?
« on: December 25, 2005, 11:36:49 AM »
I'm looking at a weird and cool guitar. UK prices are crazy, US prices are crazy too, but in a much better way. Think that it isn't being imported into the UK in any numbers which is probably partly why the dollar price is less than the pound price.

It'd work out much cheaper to import it I reckon, I'd need to figure out what potential customs charges I could get hit with, but it seems they are often, how to say, avoidable.

It's not something that should suffer too badly if shipped, it's intended to be a travel guitar anyway. http://www.music123.com/Aria-AS100C-Sinsonido-Nylon-String-Cutaway-i103234.music - the frames come off and it all packs away into a bag the size of the central wooden section, coming in at around 4lbs.

Thinking that this might be my birthday present to myself in February and I'm trying to figure the practicalities of getting one from over there, over here.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 01:07:18 PM »
nothing terribly difficult.  I've shipped a few paintball guns into the UK without incedent.  just toss it in a box and drop off at a UPS location.  unless expedited, be prepared to wait a month for it.  no customs that i am aware of .

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 01:08:25 PM »
First thing I would do is walk on down to whatever carrier ships stuff to you, and just ask.  You could find whatever ministry handles it, but the shipper is more likely to have the information handy.  I only shipped one thing to the UK, but DHL was able to tell me exactly what form I needed to attach.

Preacherman

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 03:02:35 PM »
First bareback guitar I've ever seen! cool
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

P95Carry

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 03:35:14 PM »
Iain - I have sent a few things - one main thing I might suggest.  If you get someone to do the purchase and shipping etc - make sure they label the customs thing ''gift''.

Seems if other than that then customs can make things awkward, expensive or both.  Maybe that approach would avoid the dreaded VAT.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Iain

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005, 03:41:56 PM »
It was the gift thing that I meant to ask about initially. From what I know it would seem you are right, although it makes things a little more complicated. Can't really get it sent directly from the website linked to above and sent as a gift. Not sure that they would play ball. Figured you might be able to confirm P95. Ta.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

P95Carry

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 03:46:41 PM »
Meant to say Iain, just a suggestion - don't order from website yourself - way to go, altho it's a bit of hassle for someone - is to get one of us here to do the ordering and receive it - then ship it on.  May cost a bit more in shipping in total but heck 4# ain't too heavy.  Plus too if you can put up with shipping time being a bit lengthy it could be OK.

Other option could be if the site has contact info and phone # - call em - and ask what is what.  Whether they would or would not play ball.

Heck man - you're up late! Smiley
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site