Author Topic: Taser happy police are scared of a bedridden granny on oxygen  (Read 35091 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Taser happy police are scared of a bedridden granny on oxygen
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2010, 06:23:16 PM »
you call and say someone wants to has tried to off themselves you are getting the cops   and its not cause they like to watch.  suicidal folks sometimes decide to take someone with em. some get a ll testy.  ever see the movie patch adams?  that was based on a true event
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2010, 06:39:46 PM »
You guys are missing the point.  (well AmbulanceDriver I don't think is actually missing it, but his post has some stuff I'd like to respond to)

There are certainly some times that a LE presance is needed for an attempted suicide.  And if C&SD talks in person like he types, a vest might be a good idea when he visits. (=D Little levity there, don't take it too serious)  There is a vast array of possible scenarios in the world, and we couldn't possibly war-game all of them.  I'm hinting at a "D" word here that I'll get back to in a moment.

I'm not talking about C&SD's suicudal folks in VA, or "some suicide calls"  I'm talking about this one right here.  The one in El Reno where they Tased the old lady in bed.

Daddy said:
in fact they coulda probably shot her over the knife if that was what they were all about.
And he's right.  Just go over to THR and ask, a knife is a lethal weapon, bang, DRT. But they didn't.  So they at least have an inkling of what discretion means. (Yeah I used the "D" word)  So, knowing that they weren't going straight to max force, WTF were they thinking using that weapon.  I'm not going to presume to know what they were thinking, although I have a few educated guesses.  

The (first) Problem here is that these officers utterly failed to use their discretion properly.  They acted all out of porportion to the threat. Some of the follow up problems are that folks tend to one or more of the following stupid reactions: Defend the officers; "You don't know what happened/what it's like", Remove all discretion, attempt to crucify the officers, seek a lawsuit lottery, blame the department, and any of a number of other self-serving or stupid things.

I said earlier:
However if you can't dis-arm a 90 year old woman, without weapons or injury to either party, you have no buisness being a police officer.

And I stand by that.  I don't actually think these guys couldn't have solved this without a taser, I think they chose not to.  They made a bad choice and hurt someone, and need to bear the consequences of that.  Not, probably*, being drummed out of the force, and feeling self-righteous as the city pays for their mistake, but somewher in between.   A couple weeks unpaid time off, and retraining on decision making and risk assesment are, again probably*, where I think it should go.

Also:
Granny was hurt, and deserves some recompse for it.  That being said a tase and a couple days in the hospital are not worh millions of dollors.  The city should pick up her medical bills (including PTSD treatment if needed, although with as many Japs as she has under her belt she should be fine), any damage that was done to her house in the running around, and a public apology.  I'm against Punitive damages in cases like this, because unless the officers pay it themselves who is being punished?

* On those probably's; the Police force needs to take a long hard look at why their officers discretion failed so utterly.  If it's bad training or policies due to over-lawyering of society, the need to adjust that.  If it was laziness, they need to adress that.  If it was part of a pattern of JBThuggery, they absolutly need to adress that.  And they need to do it in a way that the public can see they are trying to fix it.  Everyone (semi-reasonable) understands that you can't please everyone, and I think society can take some small amount of police oafishness, but there needs to be public and positive response to limit that oafishness. And even then this was pretty far beyond the pale.  

Finally, police agencies, and their apologists, everywhere would be better served to pay closer attention to their public image.  They can't really afford for too much of the public to actually believe that unaccountable thin blue line stuff, or they will be unable to function.  I don't know what percentage of the public not having tryst is going to be "critical mass" but I'm pretty sure it'll be uglier then Manchester after a losing soccer match to find it by experiment.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2010, 11:32:28 PM »

That being said,  these cops stepped on their wedding tackle while wearing cleats. It's not gonna end well for them, nor should it.

With end results of some of the recent high profile "police misconduct" events we've had here in the Sooner state I wouldn't bet on that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2010, 04:24:50 PM »
It seems to me that what these police did was fully compatible with police practices all over the country.  This particular case is an extreme version of those police practices, but it is still consistent.  The main part of that is the police do NOT approach anyone with a knife.  Yeah, they might have just disarmed the old woman, but in general, they just don't do that by choice without use of guns or tasers from everything I have seen.  It may suck in this case, but to me, this tactic sounds pretty familiar.

If you know of cases or stories where police approach, attack, and disarm knife wielding people without guns or tasers, I'd like to see it.  

The other issue I heard was why so many cops showed up.  I think in a small town if a dispatcher sends out the message of a person with a knife, backup needed, I can see a bunch of cops showing up.  I really doubt the all showed up because they heard a bedridden grandma was threatening an officer.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 04:37:09 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sanglant

• friend

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2010, 01:16:47 AM »
I once had a fight with a really old lady, I would have won but she ran over my foot with her wheel chair. :cool:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2010, 02:43:49 PM »
I once had a fight with a really old lady, I would have won but she ran over my foot with her wheel chair. :cool:

Bet the cops in the OP would have shot out her tires.....  :lol:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2010, 03:13:37 PM »
What I don't get is what was she hurting?  She could have just been left alone to her own fate.  But, alas, the nanny state decides when you live, die, or ride the lightening!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2010, 04:08:20 PM »
What I don't get is what was she hurting?  She could have just been left alone to her own fate.  But, alas, the nanny state decides when you live, die, or ride the lightening!
I don't disagree with that.  The only thing I would say is that once you call the police, you give up on the notion of being left alone.  Or in this case, the son gives up on any say in what happens and turns it over to police/EMS. 

This whole thing sucks, but sounds really consistent with other incidents I've heard of.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2010, 04:41:33 PM »
some choice is good some choice is bad.  granny's type of choice is bad
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2010, 04:52:48 PM »
some choice is good some choice is bad.  granny's type of choice is bad

Why?

(Assuming you're talking about the choice to pop a bunch of pills)

It's a topic for another thread, but I'd like to tase the grandson for even calling EMS for her considering her DNR and overall health.  He dropped the ball there.

We could go off on a huge tangent here on weather LE should come to this kind of thing, but it won't change the basic fact that those cops used a weapon on someone that was not a credible threat.  That's unaccaptable.  They used their discretion poorly and need to be held accountable.  Apologize and hide behind SOP's and other incidents all you want.  

They used a weapon on her.  She did not pose a credible threat.

double plus ungood
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:56:30 PM by dogmush »

• friends
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2010, 05:00:38 PM »
Why?

(Assuming you're talking about the choice to pop a bunch of pills)

It's a topic for another thread, but I'd like to tase the grandson for even calling EMS for her considering her DNR and overall health.  He dropped the ball there.

We could go off on a huge tangent here on weather LE should come to this kind of thing, but it won't change the basic fact that those cops used a weapon on someone that was not a credible threat.  That's unaccaptable.  They used their discretion poorly and need to be held accountable.  Apologize and hide behind SOP's and other incidents all you want.  

They used a weapon on her.  She did not pose a credible threat.

double plus ungood

i shoulda used the sarcasm smiley

i think we need to let folks alone who make a reasoned choice that they have had enough.  our society has it bassackwards in that area

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2010, 05:07:41 PM »
Gotcha.

There, my friend, we agree completly.

[e-toast]

• friends
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2010, 05:13:47 PM »
a valuable lesson here?  if you chose to end it be careful who you tell. 
i do generally oppose folks offing themselves when going through an episode of depression    theres a  very interesting study about folks who survived going off the golden gate bridge and almost to a man/woman  they had changed their mind on the way down

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2010, 12:01:45 AM »
a valuable lesson here?  if you chose to end it be careful who you tell. 
i do generally oppose folks offing themselves when going through an episode of depression    theres a  very interesting study about folks who survived going off the golden gate bridge and almost to a man/woman  they had changed their mind on the way down

Well, if you're healthy enough to go jump off the GG bridge, you're probably not all that bad off.  =|

Note to self: when on my deathbed and wanting to be left alone, keep something more than a knife under the covers.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2010, 12:07:37 AM »
Well, if you're healthy enough to go jump off the GG bridge, you're probably not all that bad off.  =|

Note to self: when on my deathbed and wanting to be left alone, keep something more than a knife under the covers.  ;)

Detcord?  =D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2010, 12:23:55 AM »
a loaded depends? =|

taurusowner

« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2010, 01:46:22 AM »
It seems to me that a lot of this hinges on whether or not you think police should go hands on with someone wielding a knife, or if it's ok for them to use other means such as a taser.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2010, 02:53:09 AM »
It seems to me that a lot of this hinges on whether or not you think police should go hands on with someone wielding a knife, or if it's ok for them to use other means such as a taser.

And whether a bed ridden, heavily drugged 86 y/o woman can really "wield" a knife in a way that presents a credible threat.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2010, 07:08:36 AM »
And whether a bed ridden, heavily drugged 86 y/o woman can really "wield" a knife in a way that presents a credible threat.

And whether using a Taser around an oxygen source and flammable items (bedsheets, Kleenex, etc.) is a good strategy.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

taurusowner

« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2010, 07:12:18 AM »
Bedsheets and Kleenex?  Seriously? 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2010, 07:16:53 AM »

This.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2010, 07:17:25 AM »
Bedsheets and Kleenex?  Seriously? 

On their own...not so bad.  Add an enriched-oxygen environment....you could have problems pretty quick....

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2010, 08:41:51 AM »
On their own...not so bad.  Add an enriched-oxygen environment....you could have problems pretty quick....

Ja. Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wMRL2bVKc4  (oxygen saturation flammability test)

That said, I still wouldn't volunteer to try to disarm someone of a bladed weapon by hand short of having a stab vest with throat/face protector and cut resistant arm and hand guards on.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2010, 08:52:06 AM »
Once you have an oxygen enriched environment, it really doesn't matter what is around that is flammable.  Most everything is flammable.