0 (0%)
$800-900
1 (4.3%)
$900-1,000
0 (0%)
$1,000+
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Mini-14 Cash Price at a Gun Show  (Read 4756 times)

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Mini-14 Cash Price at a Gun Show
« on: September 16, 2009, 04:42:39 PM »
I'm looking to walk around the gun show in Fort Worth this weekend toting a Mini-14 stainless Ranch Rifle with a Tapco collapsible stock.  I've also put a picatinny rail where the normal Ruger scope mounts would go.  The rifle has about 300 rounds through it and the only problem is that the rear aperture is broken.  Getting rid of it because I've decided to go the Evil Black Rifle route.

I originally traded an Olympic AR for it since my folks didn't want me shooting an 'assault rifle' on their property, and the Mini looked much less threatening.  They've since come around.

Just curious as to thoughts of what fair cash price should be.

What say ye?
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

HankB

• friend
Re: Mini-14 Cash Price at a Gun Show
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 04:49:46 PM »
From an informed buyer's standpoint, the Tapco stock and broken aperture are both minuses; not sure about the Picatinny rail.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:51:15 PM »
A lot more if nothing were broken on it.

As is... I doubt you'll get offers you'd like to entertain since it requires immediate maintenance to bring it back to shootable status.

Someone with a visibly broken rifle trying to sell will usually see me offering 50% of the rifle's value if I'm interested at all.  $350.

Fix the rear sight before you go, and you could see $600 or so.

The receiver bolt-on scope mounts are crap for Minis, in my limited experience.  The stock ruger ones are better.  The M14 market does it properly, but the Mini-14 market treats them like toys rather than tools.  Put the rifle back in the Hogue or wood stock it originally came in.  Tapco = junk when it comes to resale.

Include the stuff as "extras" and put the rifle back to original config.  A stainless mini with Hogue overmolded stock, on the used market with a bag full of extras, should bring you at least $700.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 04:57:16 PM »
Right after the AW ban sunset I bought a Mini 14 for $325, sold it 3 years ago for $450. The guy I sold it to still has it on his table at gun shows, last month he dropped the price on it to $585.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 05:04:04 PM »
You'll have better luck selling the rifle if you first repair the broken aperture and re-install the original stock.  Offer the Tapco stock on the side as an extra.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:10:40 PM »
I'm looking to walk around the gun show in Fort Worth this weekend toting a Mini-14 stainless Ranch Rifle with a Tapco collapsible stock.  I've also put a picatinny rail where the normal Ruger scope mounts would go.  The rifle has about 300 rounds through it and the only problem is that the rear aperture is broken.  Getting rid of it because I've decided to go the Evil Black Rifle route.

What they been sayin' -- for better money, fix the sight, go with the regular Ruger stock, and ditch the rail.  Do that, and I assume it's not in decent shape and not unsightly, $400-something.  (OK, maybe more now.  I bought mine almost a decade ago.)  I assume this is a Ranch Rifle.  New model, or older?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 05:28:52 PM »
It is a ranch rifle, so the rail is using the pretapped holes.  It's also has a trench machined in it so that you can use it a peepunder.  Assuming the rear aperture works, of course...
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »
Whoops.  Just went and checked.  Obviously it doesn't have pretapped holes.  The rail mount uses the scallops for the Ruger rings.  My bad.  Sorry.  I appreciate the input.  Personally, I've liked the Tapco stock, but that's just one man's opinion...

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 09:30:05 PM »
Whoops.  Just went and checked.  Obviously it doesn't have pretapped holes.  The rail mount uses the scallops for the Ruger rings.  My bad.  Sorry.  I appreciate the input.  Personally, I've liked the Tapco stock, but that's just one man's opinion...

A lot of Tapco stuff is okay. However, they've gotten picked on as a source for those who needlessly pimp their gear, and do it on the cheap.

So the current low opinion of Tapco is probably 1/2 truth, 1/2 snobbery.

I promise not to duck.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 09:22:22 AM »
Hmmm.  It's made out of the same reinforced plastic the collapsible AR stocks are made from.  Every other stock converting the mini to a pistol grip that I saw looked like unreinforced ABS. 

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 09:56:13 AM »
I wouldn't give more than $150 for any Mini-*. After sighting in my dad's Mini-14, I'd honestly rather have an SKS.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 10:13:06 AM »
I wouldn't give more than $150 for any Mini-*. After sighting in my dad's Mini-14, I'd honestly rather have an SKS.

I assume it's the older mini, that does not have the thicker barrel profile at the gasblock?
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 02:00:25 PM »
But he is looking for the going rate, not your opinion.  :D

I don't have a mini.  They were always just a little more expensive than I was willing pay.  I see a lot of them for sale at shows that are overpriced.  I rarely see them priced lower as those are bought very quickly.  So IMO, find the right price and it will sell quickly. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 04:13:20 PM »
Every other stock converting the mini to a pistol grip that I saw looked like unreinforced ABS. 

The Butler Creek folder is decent quality.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 12:14:40 AM »
The going rate is what people are willing to pay for it, period.

Me, I wouldn't give a plug nickel for another Mini-14 or Mini-30, but that's because the two I owned weren't worth the powder to blow them to hell.

YMMV, of course. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 09:01:35 AM »
Okay, aside from comments, the poll results seem to be in the $500-$600 range, and of course G98's offer to blow it up if I supply the powder=).

I think I'll go in at $650-700 and let myself get bargained down.  I may go into the show and see apples-to-apples prices first, though.

Thanks for the input!

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 01:42:24 PM »
Sold it for $600 cashy money.  Almost bought a long slide comped .40 glock, but figured I'd be shot with one of my 9mm glocks upon arrival.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 02:39:51 PM »
Good deal.

How far will this get you on your EBR of choice?

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 06:46:59 PM »
It'll cover a Del-ton 20" upper. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 09:23:23 PM »
So the current low opinion of Tapco is probably 1/2 truth, 1/2 snobbery.

While that may be true (to an extent), it probably cannot be (effectively) refuted that the Tapco stock lowers the value rather than enhances it.

Personally, I avoid Bubba'd guns. If I want a gun modified, I want ME to modify it. That's the only way I can feel confident that it's done right. The two times I made exceptions (a Colt 9mm Combat Commander, and then a Colt M1991A1 Compact), I paid dearly. In fact, the M1991A1 still isn't back to original configuration, for reasons I won't go into. But at least it has become functional.

I'd recommend selling it with the original stock and putting the Tapco up for sale elsewhere. Don't even mention that it was ever near the rifle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 01:22:34 AM »
Sold it for $600 cashy money.  Almost bought a long slide comped .40 glock, but figured I'd be shot with one of my 9mm glocks upon arrival.

Wow, I paid $340 for my Ranch Rifle a few years ago. I need to sell it and get my CMP.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 10:05:29 AM »
IMO, the guys who would buy a Mini-14 at that price are the type who would prefer a wood stock anyway.  From what I see, the Mini-14 has a good reputation with a lot of casual shooters/hunters who don't spend a lot of time at the range.  I don't think you see too many guys like that on gun forums.

The other thing for me is that I already have AR's and have way too many magazines for them.  I doesn't make a lot of sense for me to invest in a Mini14.

Does anyone make a wood stock for an AR?  Just wondering if you could make an AR look like a more traditional rifle.  Put wood grips, wood (paneled?) stock, railed gas block, etc and it might work.  :D  Then again, it might look hideous.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 10:13:34 AM »

Does anyone make a wood stock for an AR?  Just wondering if you could make an AR look like a more traditional rifle.  Put wood grips, wood (paneled?) stock, railed gas block, etc and it might work.  :D  Then again, it might look hideous.

They do. http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDsite/IWDAR15.html
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"