Author Topic: SolidWorks/SolidCAM users?  (Read 1614 times)

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
SolidWorks/SolidCAM users?
« on: March 25, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
We've been using Gibbs here at the shop for about 8 years.  I just bought a seat of SolidCAM recently.  So far, I am quite impressed.  Didn't know if anyone else had experience or thoughts.  Hasn't been a SolidWorks thread in a few years.

Came with a seat of SolidWorks (without the ability to generate prints) included for the price of Gibbs 2D, and great support so far...

I've used TurboCAD, AutoCAD Inventor LT, and numerous others in the past.  SW is definitely sexy.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: SolidWorks/SolidCAM users?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:35:37 PM »
We're using an older version of Bobcad here, mostly because we got tired of paying through the nose for upgrades... How much did your seat cost you?

(fwiw, we're feeding a Shizuoka AN-S through an Allen-Bradley 8400MP with the system, and it works fine for a lot of what we've been doing - I'd eventually like to go with a PC-based control system, but right now, if it ain't broke, it ain't gonna get fixed)
Blog under construction

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
We use Pro Engineer/wildfire at work. Some of the guys love it, I personally don't care for it. We do have a lot of nice custom auxiliary software for it.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:38:19 AM »
We're using an older version of Bobcad here, mostly because we got tired of paying through the nose for upgrades... How much did your seat cost you?

(fwiw, we're feeding a Shizuoka AN-S through an Allen-Bradley 8400MP with the system, and it works fine for a lot of what we've been doing - I'd eventually like to go with a PC-based control system, but right now, if it ain't broke, it ain't gonna get fixed)

I made the mistake of calling BobCAD about 8 years ago.  I get a phone call from them at least every other month.  SolidCAM 2.5D with the seat of SolidWorks set us back about $7k.  We're running 8 Fanuc Robodrills, 2 Kitamura 1xiF's, a Hyundai Kia lathe and a Fadal EMC.  Fanuc controllers 16iMB's (IIRC) on everything but the Fadal.  SolidCAM has the update plan, but it is on a descending scale.  After about 4 years, you are paying 30% less than you do for the initial subscription. 

Gibbs doesn't do that.  We have 3 seats of Gibbs, and one with full 3D surfacing and lathe.  I forget what the subcription fee is, but if we don't get it our boxes are unable to read the latest version of the SolidWorks engine.  They have us by the short hairs, and they know it.

Most of my customers are using SW.  A few use ProE, but since we are a subcontractor to subcontractors, I don't usually get those files, just prints.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 02:35:05 AM »
Here's a link to one of my GB auctions - The rifle's sitting on one of our mills - It's a Milltronics Partner X... The controller on this one is a Milltronics Centurion 5... You know those molded things that they have at railroad track crossings, next to train stations, etc., etc? We did the molds...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222191003

Interesting thing here is that the boss pretty much thinks in G code... For even moderately complex stuff, he can hand-key, with speed/feed, etc., faster than he can work up the CAD stuff... We're getting ready to demothball a second Shizuoka AN-S, and I'm looking at more software, etc...

We're also getting ready to drag out some older equipment... I'm parting out a Bandit controller (hey, if you know anyone who needs pieces-parts...), and a Fanuc 3000 (IIRC...) is next... Hopefully someone can use the boards, etc., and we can turn some of that into equipment upgrades. Also have three Tamagawa encoder servos...
Blog under construction