Author Topic: Climate bill stalls in Senate after disputeAP  (Read 8479 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Climate bill stalls in Senate after disputeAP
« on: June 04, 2008, 06:52:58 PM »
The Republicans should demand that they read each and every bill that comes up.

Climate bill stalls in Senate after dispute
H. JOSEF HEBERT

Associated Press Writer
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/7563462

WASHINGTON (AP) - A Senate debate over a bill to combat global warming came to a halt Wednesday after Republicans demanded a reading of the 492-page document because of a partisan dispute over judicial nominations.

The partisan squabble spilled over to a disagreement over how many amendments should be allowed, threatening to cut short likely consideration of the legislation once it gets back on track.

Senate clerks read into the evening hours as both sides mapped out their next move, once the reading was to be concluded, sometime before midnight.

The bill, the most ambitious legislation on global warming ever taken up in Congress, would cut carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions by 71 percent by mid-century from power plants, refineries, factories and transportation.

Its sponsors said the mandatory reductions are essential to put the United States in a leadership role in global attempts to head off dangerous climate change. But Republican critics said it would result in higher energy costs and economic turmoil.

After an agreement to bring the legislation up for action, Republicans turned down requests that a reading of the bill not be required, a procedure that is routine.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said he directed the delaying action because the Democratic majority had failed to approve the appointment of three federal judges before Memorial Day as had been promised.

``We hate to hold up the climate bill,'' McConnell told reporters, indicating he was ready to go back to the bill, once his point had been made about the judges. He said Republicans had a number of amendments for the bill.

Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., accused the Republicans of obstruction and ``doing everything in their power to slow, stop and stall'' on urgent legislation to address global warming.

A Reid spokesman, Jim Manley, blamed Republicans for not getting two of the judicial nominations out of the Judiciary Committee and said a third judge, in fact, had been approved. Reid's pledge was based on ``Republican cooperation'' that he did not get, said Manley.

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., a lead co-sponsor of the climate bill, said the GOP was ``just stalling this bill. ... All they want to do is kill this bill.''

The climate bill's supporters include most Democrats and a handful of Republicans. Along with Boxer, the leading sponsors are Sens. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn., and John Warner, R-Va. It has been the subject of Senate floor debate since Monday, but senators have done little more than talk so far.

Reid had said he wanted the bill finished by early next week, but aides said he may now move to significantly limit amendments and bring the issue to a close as early as Friday.

If so, he would need 60 votes to overcome a GOP filibuster and move to a final vote, something senators on both sides say he is unlikely to get. If he fails, Reid would likely withdraw the bill, leaving the issue for next year with a new president and a new Congress.

Some Republicans complained Monday that Reid was maneuvering to prevent Republicans from offering their amendments and was trying to push through a huge and complex bill in a matter of days with inadequate debate.

Sen. Pete Domenici, R-N.M., noted that when Congress took up changes in the Clean Air Act in 1990 - an equally complex piece of legislation - the Senate took five weeks before passing it.

``This legislation is far reaching. It is economy wide,'' Domenici said.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Climate bill stalls in Senate after disputeAP
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 06:56:39 PM »
Its sponsors said the mandatory reductions are essential to put the United States in a leadership role in global attempts to head off dangerous climate change.

Witch hunts would make as much sense.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 04:41:12 AM »
Its sponsors said the mandatory reductions are essential to put the United States in a leadership role in global attempts to head off dangerous climate change. create a new revenue stream for government, enlarge the bureaucracy, create a new revenue stream for government, reduce American competitiveness further, create a new revenue stream for government, exert further control over people's daily lives, and create a new revenue stream for government.
Fixed it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 04:55:07 AM »

The bill, the most ambitious legislation on global warming ever taken up in Congress, would cut carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions by 71 percent by mid-century from power plants, refineries, factories and transportation.

Sure. We can just turn off all the lights and be like parts of Africa. That's something to aspire to.

The scariest thing? If you showed video of the planet with all the cities going dark, the greenie leftists would cheer. They never realize that they'd cry a day later when they couldn't get their lattes, their Facebook was dark, and the things with icky guns came out of the dark to take whatever food they had left.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 05:17:04 AM »
We have seen the return of the "noble savage," and he is us.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 05:21:21 AM »
. . . If you showed video of the planet with all the cities going dark, the greenie leftists would cheer. They never realize that they'd cry a day later when they couldn't get their lattes, their Facebook was dark, and the things with icky guns came out of the dark to take whatever food they had left.
Except the greenie leftists would use the remaining power, since they buy indulgences carbon credits to allow themselves to continue generating the carbon footprint of a small village. People like Algore will probably have access to the extra taxes you pay in order to buy themselves armed security.

Actually, I think that's one of the most damning indictments of the so-called environmentalists in government, and I believe it's compelling evidence that they don't believe a word they're saying - they won't downgrade their lifestyles, they want you to downgrade your lifestyle. And pay more in the process.  angry
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 05:25:52 AM »
. . . If you showed video of the planet with all the cities going dark, the greenie leftists would cheer. They never realize that they'd cry a day later when they couldn't get their lattes, their Facebook was dark, and the things with icky guns came out of the dark to take whatever food they had left.
Except the greenie leftists would use the remaining power, since they buy indulgences carbon credits to allow themselves to continue generating the carbon footprint of a small village. People like Algore will probably have access to the extra taxes you pay in order to buy themselves armed security.

Actually, I think that's one of the most damning indictments of the so-called environmentalists in government, and I believe it's compelling evidence that they don't believe a word they're saying - they won't downgrade their lifestyles, they want you to downgrade your lifestyle. And pay more in the process.  angry

I friend of mine and I started calling them enviro-elitists. Mostly because the amount of money they spend to feel good about themselves and being green.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 05:27:24 AM »
Its sponsors said the mandatory reductions are essential to put the United States in a leadership role in global attempts to head off dangerous climate change.

Will someone please remind me why we want to be in a leadership role again?  Isn't it kind of like castrating yourself and then handing the knife to the next guy and saying "Your turn!"

Makes me want to go burn a pile of tires...
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 05:51:17 AM »

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 06:44:26 AM »
To me, they think they are God. 
Mother Nature is going to do what Mother Nature wants to do.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 06:48:02 AM »
To me, they think they are God. 
Mother Nature is going to do what Mother Nature wants to do.

Tax that.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 06:52:48 AM »

Is that Inhofe or Morano exploding?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 06:55:30 AM »
Pinatubo. Or it could be one of the Dems if they don't get their way.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 07:00:30 AM »
Mane, O.K., I just taxed it.  You owe me 100K round of .308 for that eruption. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 08:49:49 AM »
Mane, O.K., I just taxed it.  You owe me 100K round of .308 for that eruption. grin

No, no. You need to tax the volcano for the carbon emissions. Or forbid it to erupt again. Go have a dialogue with it when it's about to erupt, so it won't. Face-to-face.

Can we convince the Dems to do that?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 08:59:08 AM »
Look, I cannot collect taxes on a pile of rock.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 10:44:36 AM »
Look, I cannot collect taxes on a pile of rock.

Yep, it is hard to shake taxes out of welfare recipients.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 11:22:49 AM »
Got it wrong.  Simply subtract the volcano's carbon contribution from the US allotment. 

Hokum!
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 11:37:17 AM »
Got it wrong.  Simply subtract the volcano's carbon contribution from the US allotment. 

Hokum!

If Krakatoa went, they'd have to drop a JDAM on ALGORE's mansion.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 11:45:26 AM »

Hokum!

If Krakatoa went, they'd have to drop a JDAM on ALGORE's mansion.

Pre-emptive strike?
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 02:19:21 PM »
It appears I may have spoken too soon.  Damn it!

From the Desk of:
Steve Elliott, President, Grassfire.org Alliance

CRITICAL UPDATE:
++++++++++++++++++++

********., after some late night maneuverings by Senate Majority
Leader Harry Reid, the massive Carbon Tax bill will be voted
on Friday morning!

The bill will only be debated today, and no amendments can be
offered or added. In essence, Democratic leadership is testing
the water and attempting to fast-track the Carbon Tax Scheme
through the Senate.

Grassfire is calling on ALL members of our team to take immediate
action TODAY by sending personalized faxes, and calling their Senators--
demanding a "NO" vote on the Carbon Tax bill. Click here to schedule
your faxes:

http://www.grassfire.net/r.asp?U=7939&CID=106&RID=13627472

Here's your contact information for:

Sen. Feinstein      202-224-3841
Sen. Boxer      202-224-3553

In case you missed my message yesterday, I've included it below.
Feel free to forward this message to your friends!

Again, this is a critical hour, and I'm asking ALL members of our team
to take immediate action with me via fax and phone.

Thanks for your fast action. We will keep you posted.

++++++++++++

The U.S. Senate is considering voting on a massive $1.2 trillion Carbon
tax that they believe would help "save the planet" from man-made global
warming.

Passage of this tax would have a devastating impact on our economy--
sharply raising the price of gas (by as much as $1.40 per gallon),
raise taxes and demand emissions reductions that can't be realized.

But even as the bill is being debated, there are growing
       concerns in the Senate about the timing of the bill and
       citizen response.

Senate Environmental and Public Works Chairman Barbara
       Boxer when asked what she was doing to calm the growing
       concerns of her colleagues, replied, "My concern is just
       getting the bill out there. Weve done that. From here on out,
       it's up to each Senator to decide."

#######, there you have it. Barbara Boxer is leaving it up to the
Senators to decide--which means you and I have a short window of
opportunity
to impress upon members of the Senate that the Carbon Tax (S. 3036) is a
frighteningly bad idea!

Click here to see how you can personally impact this critical issue:

http://www.grassfire.net/r.asp?U=7940&CID=106&RID=13627472

++ Time for Grassroots to Cool the Global Warming Debate

Over the next several days I want to inundate EVERY Senate office with
faxes demanding a "NO" vote for the Lieberman-Warner Carbon Tax (S. 3036).

Go here to schedule personalized faxes to key members of
       the Senate, including your two California Senators:

http://www.grassfire.net/r.asp?U=7941&CID=106&RID=13627472

If you prefer to send your own faxes, we have provided all the contact
information for you at the above website.

Either way, please take action. These are very serious times that demand
our full efforts. I look forward to your quick response.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 08:18:40 PM »
Tax that.

Wow.  Their whole argument just crumpled up like a piece of recycled toilet paper.  I laughed so hard at that picture... I thought it was a nuclear bomb at first, thinking that it was a statement on government hypocracy.  Realized a second later that it was a volcano and therefore completely "natural," and an even better statement.

The tax is obviously punitive, not intented for environmental rehabilitation efforts in the least.  We don't have the power to reverse "global warming" even if it does exist beyond the scope of solar output fluctuation, and government involvement in its "regulation" is impossible in any way except punitive.

I abhorr any such tax, I will keep my V8 truck through thick and thin.  If I have to, I will mothball the engine and convert the thing to 100% electric and power it via battery, while charging it at home with solar cells just to screw the government as much as possible.  This is a hate-fest against large vehicles and people with more freedom to pursue their hobbies and interests than others.  Very well... I declare my own hate-fest against unwashed hippies, washed hippies (if they exist), transients, Obamicans, Mexifornians and Neopolitan ice cream. 

I will now do everything in my power to un-fund all those things, starting immediately with a pledge to abstain from square blocks of ice cream of any type encased in a thin paper sleeve.  Take that!  Next stop:  washed hippies...  I've got some patchioulli sitting around somewhere to turn into a good old fashioned stink-bomb... grin
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 11:31:08 PM »
What did Neapolitan ice cream ever do to you?
Look, tiny text!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 04:08:05 AM »
Hippies get washed when the police have to use the water cannon.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 04:18:47 AM »
You forgot women with hairy armpits.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536