Author Topic: The irony... it is a deliciously thick sauce  (Read 8465 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
The irony... it is a deliciously thick sauce
« on: October 27, 2011, 02:11:41 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/zuccotti_hell_kitchen_i5biNyYYhpa8MSYIL9xSDL

The freeloading protestors that want to vanquish capitalism... the "Occupy" folks... remember them?

They have communal kitchens to feed the occupiers.

Well, it seems the other class of freeloading moochers have descended upon this variety of freeloading moocher:  the professional homeless. :lol:

In order to discourage the pro-homeless from showing up, they are:

For three days beginning tomorrow, the cooks will serve only brown rice and other spartan grub instead of the usual menu of organic chicken and vegetables, spaghetti bolognese, and roasted beet and sheep’s-milk-cheese salad.

I love the description of the regular fare.  And the raw entitlement-attitude from those unhappy with the brown rice, peanut butter sammiches, and other recent low budget foods.

Organizers took other steps to police the squatters, who they said were lured in from other parks with the promise of free meals.

A team of 10 security volunteers moved in to the trouble-prone southwest section of Zuccotti Park in a show of force to confront them.

“We’re not going to let some members of this community destroy the whole movement,” a volunteer said.

The protestors of Capitalist Authoritay are angry that someone wants to TAKE from THEM!  So they are establishing a Strong Arm system of Enforcers (a.k.a. Police) to protect their collective interests.

I wonder when they start hunting pigs, organizing into camps, making war with one another and telling about the long long ago, in the before time?

It's all a delicious microcosm of Marx's failures, playing out as an object lesson for these folks who haven't gotten it yet.
 [popcorn]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: The irony... it is a deliciously thick sauce
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 02:15:44 PM »
How cold does it get in NYC during the winter? =D
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 02:30:41 PM »
How cold does it get in NYC during the winter? =D

Not as cold as Montana, but down in the teens and twenties from what I hear.

The protestors of Capitalist Authoritay are angry that someone wants to TAKE from THEM!  So they are establishing a Strong Arm system of Enforcers (a.k.a. Police) to protect their collective interests

I hope the bums gang up and beat the *expletive deleted*it out of the "security", make off with all of the foodstuffs, and on the way out, *expletive deleted*it and piss in the pots/pans and sleeping bags of the OWS douchebags. That would be right entertaining.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »
I hope the bums gang up and beat the *expletive deleted* out of the "security", make off with all of the foodstuffs, and on the way out, *expletive deleted* and piss in the pots/pans and sleeping bags of the OWS douchebags. That would be right entertaining.
I wouldn't mind seeing that myself . . . and wouldn't it be a shame if the police were elsewhere, writing parking tickets or something?  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 02:50:43 PM »
Not as cold as Montana, but down in the teens and twenties from what I hear.

I hope the bums gang up and beat the *expletive deleted* out of the "security", make off with all of the foodstuffs, and on the way out, *expletive deleted* and piss in the pots/pans and sleeping bags of the OWS douchebags. That would be right entertaining.

Excellent.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 03:28:47 PM »
How do the cooks/servers know the difference?  ???

And the raw entitlement-attitude from those unhappy with the brown rice, peanut butter sammiches, and other recent low budget foods.

If that works to deter them, it will say something about the living standards of the non-OWS homeless.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 03:40:35 PM »
How do the cooks/servers know the difference?  ???

If that works to deter them, it will say something about the living standards of the non-OWS homeless.
OWS = hipster scum

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 03:49:51 PM »
This seems to relate to the thread topic:

Thermal imaging (allegedly) shows 90% of Occupy London tents are empty:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/8847357/Telegraph-evicted-from-St-Pauls-Occupy-London-camp-as-the-mood-turns.html

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »
Things are going to get very interesting very soon.
 [popcorn]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »
This seems to relate to the thread topic:

Thermal imaging (allegedly) shows 90% of Occupy London tents are empty:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/8847357/Telegraph-evicted-from-St-Pauls-Occupy-London-camp-as-the-mood-turns.html

Video footage is very suspect.

Watch as a woman in a skirt walks by the thermal cam.  Legs are visible, skirt is darker color like the tents.

Now, imagine the thermal insulation properties of a sleeping bag combined with a tent.

I don't support OWS, but this technique used by the Telegraph is highly suspect.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 06:41:13 PM »
Hmm, OWS seems to be acting awfully 1%.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 10:01:10 PM »
How do the cooks/servers know the difference?  Huh?

They don't...and neither does Rupert Murdoch's ace reporter evidently.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 10:24:17 PM »
Video footage is very suspect.

Watch as a woman in a skirt walks by the thermal cam.  Legs are visible, skirt is darker color like the tents.

Now, imagine the thermal insulation properties of a sleeping bag combined with a tent.

I don't support OWS, but this technique used by the Telegraph is highly suspect.
So do the 10% have fires in them?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 10:26:49 PM »
10% of the tents have 100% of the fires?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 10:41:59 PM »
Big fleas have little fleas,
Upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas,
and so, ad infinitum.

And the great fleas, themselves, in turn
Have greater fleas to go on;
While these again have greater still,
And greater still, and so on.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 02:33:36 AM »

Skirts have a fair amount of airflow, which would be cool ambient air.  An occupied nylon tent would have people exhaling ~80-90 degree air into it all night, even if the rest of their bodies were perfectly insulated.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 05:22:25 AM »
aw, but what happened to spreading it around?

Guess some are just more equal than others.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 07:29:35 AM »
Skirts have a fair amount of airflow, which would be cool ambient air.  An occupied nylon tent would have people exhaling ~80-90 degree air into it all night, even if the rest of their bodies were perfectly insulated.

Except the tent wall is:
1. Opaque to LWIR
2. Very low thermal mass
3. A near perfect convective surface for the outside air
And tents are designed to be ventilated
While I think it is likely a tent wall would be slightly warmer than ambient if occupied, I would also venture that the temperature difference is much less than expected.

Since most of those imagers are auto-gain controlled, and 8-10bit resolution, if there were any warm objects (hot pot, fire, possibly even bare skin) in the image, the normal operating mode would set that as the full scale readout (reduce gain) so the minimum detectable temperature difference (least significant bit) could be as low as 0.5 degC (120degC full scale, 8 bit).  Normal convection coefficient for air is 10-30W/m2-degC and the resting metabolic rate of a person is ~75W, so with the surface area of even a sealed small tent (say pup tent triangle style, 2m long, 2m at the base and 1.5m tall, or a surface area of 8m2, the temperature difference would be 0.3-0.9degC relative to ambient,or barely detectable.

Thermal doesn't see through walls, and low mass, opaque sheets are simple LWIR blocking surfaces when exposed to ambient air.

However, besides the technical point, I would bet the conclusion is accurate and more tents are used than people to inflate the protest attendance

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 08:06:11 AM »
I'm not sure why but this thought came to mind-

Build a man hippie a fire and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man hippie on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 08:51:49 AM »
While I think it is likely a tent wall would be slightly warmer than ambient if occupied, I would also venture that the temperature difference is much less than expected.

We've tested aerial IR sensors at altitude on whales at night, and they weren't the cheap kind (of sensors, not whales - I hear whales like to live the good life). The whales' blubber was such a good insulator that the only way we saw them was when they blew or they pooped. I don't know why, but the OWS hippies somehow reminded me of this.

I would expect there are in fact a lot of "decoy tents", but I also suspect that a lot of tents were provided to the OWS crowd and I wouldn't be surprised if many of the protestors, when they go back to school or their parents' mansions, simply leave their "People's shelter" behind.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 10:10:24 AM »
Skirts have a fair amount of airflow... 

And how would you know that, Mal?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 01:00:25 PM »
The FLIR on a V-22 is pretty near HD TV quality and thin workout clothes don't slow it down much when a young lady jogs in front of it on the flight deck.  ;)
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »
Winter, come quickly.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 01:37:12 PM »
The FLIR on a V-22 is pretty near HD TV quality and thin workout clothes don't slow it down much when a young lady jogs in front of it on the flight deck.  ;)

Video for proof or it didn't happend.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 01:48:40 PM »
Winter, come quickly.
And come down hard.