Author Topic: Condoleezza Rice for VP  (Read 8486 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Condoleezza Rice for VP
« on: July 13, 2012, 11:56:57 AM »
Been hearing some rumblings about this for the last 12-14 hours or so...  Could be an interesting choice.   I admit not knowing much about her directly, other than the fact that she's wickedly smart.  

So can we call liberals who oppose her misogynists and racists?  Seems to work the other way around.....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Condoleezza Rice for VP
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:06:34 PM »
Wouldn't be the worst choice (that would be Christie), but I'm not sure a Bush appointee will get Mitt the TEA Party & libertarian-ish votes he needs. If it doesn't, they'll just stay home.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 12:39:43 PM »
So can we call liberals who oppose her misogynists and racists?  Seems to work the other way around.....

Won't work.  They'll call it a cynical ploy to get the women and black votes.  Seriously.  I would bet money that happens.

Chris

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 01:04:40 PM »
of course "they" would say that (because it will).
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 02:46:03 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was deliberately "leaked" just as a diversion.

And as for being a cynical ploy . . . so what? Someone with access to more polling data than I have available will be doing the calculation of votes gained vs. votes lost. If they strip off a couple of percent of BHO's black voting base and a couple of percent of BHO's female vote, but lose people who can't abide a Bush administration retread, it will all depend on whether she's a net gain or net loss.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 02:51:54 PM »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 03:00:38 PM »
For your edification:
http://blogs.ajc.com/jay-bookman-blog/2012/07/13/condi-rice-for-mitts-veep-you-mean-this-condi-rice/
She is very pro-2A, though.

Yes, she's just too far from some core GOP platform planks for it to ever work out.

I think it's just intentional leaking/bluster to keep the buzz going.

I still think it comes down to whether the Romney campaign thinks they need to swipe Latinos from Obama more, or bolster the TEA party base more.

If it's Latinos, it's Rubio.

If it's TEA party, it's Ryan.

Maybe some dark-horse choice from Ohio if in the old-school VP choosing method they think they need it as a battleground state.
I promise not to duck.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 03:21:15 PM »
She'd be far from the worst choice. There may be better, but I don't think she'd be a horrible pick.

Allen West would be a hoot  :laugh:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 03:55:08 PM »
she's an awesome lady in my book, but I'm voting for Mitt no matter what.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 04:56:52 PM »
Well, looking on the bright side, at least she doesn't hate America.

She's not an openly Marxist ideologue.

She's not a union thuggery sympathizer.

She is a little on the "global" side for my tastes, kind of a "smart cosmopolitan" thing that makes her attractive to Yourpeens, but won't play well with the raving dictator set.

The primary problem is that selecting her would be too easy as a "pandering" target.  Remember, it's not okay to be seen as pandering to racial/ethic/gender minorities that are traditionally owned by your opponents.  That's clearly pandering.  The same actions taken by the other side are, of course, not pandering, but are instead getting the message out to our base.

It's sad that we can sit here and predict what the (blatantly dishonest) attack vectors will be for pretty much any given VP pick.

We know the attacks, we know they're dishonest, and we know that there are millions of people willing to accept any such lie as gospel to justify their already-decided selection on voting day.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 04:58:45 PM »
All the speculation on Condi Rice as Romney's VP choice is moot as she has made it abundantly clear over the years that she is not interested in any elective office.  She has stated this repeatedly and adamantly, most recently in a June 26 interview with CBS news.
I don't know who keeps floating these stories or why. There just doesn't seem as there is much to gain by this foolishness.  More pointless speculation, especially from the Republican side, about Rice being the choice damages the Romney campaign VP selection process in my opinion.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 06:28:11 PM »
A DoS wonk, in the White House?

...tell me more about this Obama character.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 06:43:04 PM »
I would pay-per-view to see Condi Rice debate the idiot Joe Biden
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 07:48:55 PM »
All the speculation on Condi Rice as Romney's VP choice is moot as she has made it abundantly clear over the years that she is not interested in any elective office.  She has stated this repeatedly and adamantly, most recently in a June 26 interview with CBS news.
I don't know who keeps floating these stories or why. There just doesn't seem as there is much to gain by this foolishness.  More pointless speculation, especially from the Republican side, about Rice being the choice damages the Romney campaign VP selection process in my opinion.

Convenient distractions with the Bain controversy.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 10:47:50 PM »
I would pay-per-view to see Condi Rice debate the idiot Joe Biden

That would be a  [popcorn] [popcorn] night....

Same with Allen West v Biden.

[popcorn] [popcorn]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 10:55:51 PM »
Convenient distractions with the Bain controversy.

From the time I was about 8 until my dad sold it when I was a senior in College, I was Vice President of a Corporation that owned a bar.

Until I moved away to go to school my job was to clean and mop the floors and bathrooms and stock the beer coolers.  I was on the corporate filings and papers as VP for 4 years even though I only went to the place once (my 21st B-day) after I moved away to go to school.

I guess I can't run for public office....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 11:17:53 PM »
From the time I was about 8 until my dad sold it when I was a senior in College, I was Vice President of a Corporation that owned a bar.

Until I moved away to go to school my job was to clean and mop the floors and bathrooms and stock the beer coolers.  I was on the corporate filings and papers as VP for 4 years even though I only went to the place once (my 21st B-day) after I moved away to go to school.

I guess I can't run for public office....

NO you can't hold office. Your evil, elitist corporate slime who probably shipped jobs overseas.  >:D
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 03:47:45 PM »
Try this on as a theory.  Romney is moving toward a non-establishment candidate.  The establishment-fils in his campaign sense a real chance Romney will select someone with no loyalty to the republican machine.  So Rice's name is release in an effort to dissuade Romney from putting someone who is uncontrollable on the ticket.  Romney is smart enough to realize Ryan or Palenty (?sp) is waaay too much white bread at the table.  He will have to spice it up to keep his voters from falling asleep.  Rice serves as a red herring long enough for Romney to finish vetting whomever he's considering.

That's a theory. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 06:46:35 PM »
Try this on as a theory.  Romney is moving toward a non-establishment candidate.  The establishment-fils in his campaign sense a real chance Romney will select someone with no loyalty to the republican machine.  So Rice's name is release in an effort to dissuade Romney from putting someone who is uncontrollable on the ticket.  Romney is smart enough to realize Ryan or Palenty (?sp) is waaay too much white bread at the table.  He will have to spice it up to keep his voters from falling asleep.  Rice serves as a red herring long enough for Romney to finish vetting whomever he's considering.

That's a theory. 
This might not be to far off. If she was actually the pick I doubt we'd know about it. And if it did leak, I doubt it wouldn't have been confirmed by now.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 09:40:13 AM »
Romney is danged if he does and danged if he doesn't.  He picks Rice and the D left claims he is pandering to blacks with a "token" who betrays her race by agreeing to run with Romney.  He goes for Rubio, he is accused of picking a "token" Hispanic and pandering to the Hispanics.  He picks a white guy or woman from a battleground state he's accused of being a racist.  He picks a Tea Party person he just proves he's "right wing wacko".

The leftist own the narrative because they just lie and lie and lie and after awhile the lie becomes reality for D's and Independents.

Romney's biggest error so far is that he pays any attention to Obama's minions.  He should ignore everything they say and continue to lay out his plans in a bit of detail.  I would have him spend a week telling everyone what the plan is.  "Fellow Americans, trying to respond to the slander and mud being slung by the Obama campaign isn't worthwhile.  As they have completely continued to muck up the economy, our international standing by saying one thing and doing another, saying do as I say and not as I do, driving us deeper into debt, fostering a notion with Americans that we should not hold up our heads, working at dividing us, that we should somehow apologize for being the most free nation on earth, I have decided to give the Obama Administration and campaign the attention that it deserves; absolutely none at all.  From this point onward I will not be responding to their desperate inaccuracies and falsehood.  I will be discussing with you, my fellow Americans, in some detail, what ideas I have for the future of our wonderful country.  Thank you and God bless America."

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 10:53:46 AM »
He should ignore everything they say and continue to lay out his plans in a bit of detail.

Does he have any detailed plans  ???

;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
I have heard that he has a detailed plan on his website.  shrug.  I haven't looked because it's probably vague and double talk.

My comments would be valid if he did have a plan that he would be unafraid to lay out it public and not worry about what Obama may have to say about it.

My comments were written while I had stepped over into the 4th dimension for a little while.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 12:59:40 PM »
Well, he can either spend all his time developing a  "plan" or campaigning.  At this point, any detailed plan would be ignored anyway.  No point in going to that much effort right now.  IMO, he should just say he will cut spending, cut regulations, cut taxes, etc. 

Besides any "plan" would be a campaign promise and how many think he will live up to it?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 08:32:20 PM »
Romney probably has a plan just like Obama did.

He doesn't want to let on what it is, just like Obama did.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 10:19:06 PM »
I highly doubt Rice will be selected as the Republican VP candidate.  She does not want the job.  I think she REALLY does not want the job.  I could see her in a cabinet position role however.

Romney needs to look elsewhere.  It would not get the Black vote and Rice has a lot of critics on her experience as Secretary of State.  If Rice was his choice, it would certainly not make me check the Romney box on the ballot.  At least he needs somebody who is acceptable to the majority of Republicans and better yet, to the majority of the voting population.   
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)