Author Topic: Presidents and Saluting  (Read 8427 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Presidents and Saluting
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 01:51:48 AM »

Google yourself. I never said he should be prosecuted for the crime of failure to salute. I said that returning a salute is a matter of custom, not a matter of something the president "gets to do." If he doesn't want to, then he should just not do it. But he should not do the stupid, cup-in-hand-while-other-hand-is-empty salute.

How is a civilian to know that an object in the hand while saluting is verboten?

Funny thing about things that people aren't required to do.... they generally don't know anything about the ins and outs of doing it.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 06:53:42 AM »
How is a civilian to know that an object in the hand while saluting is verboten?

Funny thing about things that people aren't required to do.... they generally don't know anything about the ins and outs of doing it.

Are you asking about the President not knowing about this then I would want a few minutes with his military advisors.  They failed him and us if they failed to drill into him that if he is going to choose to salute the correct way to do so.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
Mebbe he should'a bowed.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 09:51:29 AM »
Are you asking about the President not knowing about this then I would want a few minutes with his military advisors.  They failed him and us if they failed to drill into him that if he is going to choose to salute the correct way to do so.

This president has already proven he isn't interested in advice from his military advisors.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 09:58:12 AM »
Are you asking about the President not knowing about this then I would want a few minutes with his military advisors.  They failed him and us if they failed to drill into him that if he is going to choose to salute the correct way to do so.

This; as CinC, he can also ask any other member of the military to help him get it right.  Just like every little cultural gaffe that "he just couldn't have known;" he has the State Department to deal with that, and as I recall, they have a rather large group of people dedicated to educating the President, his family and their staffers on how to behave with whoever they're likely to encounter next.  (In fact, I'd bet with all the other countries that use similar or identical salutes, they could teach him on that as well as the military advisers.)  Just like everything else he screws up more than once; the first time, his advisers are a bit lax in keeping him up on everything and explaining to him why it's important before it becomes an issue.  The second time, either they're incompetent or he just doesn't give a damn.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2014, 10:03:31 AM »
I would assume that the same people who should have taught him how to salute also taught him to not address the Queen of England as "Queenie".

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2014, 11:49:11 AM »
I remember reading a story about when Clinton was elected, that they spent a little/some/a great many hours on getting him to understand military ranks, basic protocol to include saluting and getting it right as there were always cameras whenever AF1 and Marine1 landed and took off.

While he may not have had the crispest parade ground salute, I had to give him an 80-85% most of the time for proper execution.

And while it is low, low, low on Obama Outrage meter, it's simply another example of how he looks down on "the little people" and his disrespect/disregard for the military.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 12:11:18 PM »
President Obama's protocol people have been incompetent from the beginning. 

That said, I do agree that if he is going to salute, he ought to do it right. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »
GOP make big deals out of things they can't be expected to fix. If there's an issue that they could actually take ACTION on , they ignore it because they're terrible, too.
I don't remember Bush himself trying to pump himself up because he tried to salute.  Others talked about it.  It doesn't mean he is smart or good, just shows a different attitude about the people around them who are not politically important.  I disagree with a lot of what he did, but there are a few things I respect about the guy.  I'd say the same about Bush I and Reagan.

Bush I at least had the sense to put his Presidential library at Texas A&M. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Presidents and Saluting
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 12:18:40 PM »

As a civilian myself, common sense strikes me as somewhat high on the list of reasons saluting with a cup of coffee might be frowned upon.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2014, 01:36:56 PM »
I recalled a quote from President Reagan about saluting, so I looked it up:

"And so, I know all the rules about not saluting in civilian clothes and so forth, and when you should or shouldn't. But then when I got this job -- (laughter) -- and I would be approaching Air Force One or Marine One and those Marines would come to a salute and I -- knowing that I am in civilian clothes -- I would nod and say ‘Hello’ and think they could drop their hand, and they wouldn't. They just stood there. So, one night over at the commandant's quarters, Marine Commandant's quarters in Washington, and I was getting a couple of highballs, and I didn't -- (laughter) -- know what to do with them. So, I said to the commandant -- I said, ‘Look, I know all the rules about saluting in civilian clothes and all, but if I am the Commander in Chief, there ought to be a regulation that would permit me to return a salute.’ And I heard some words of wisdom. He said, ‘I think if you did, no one would say anything.’

"So, if you see me on television and I'm saluting, you know that I've got authority for it now -- (laughter) -- and I do it happily."
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »

Ignorant civilians being expected to know military protocol is the most terrifying crisis we've faced as a nation. Got it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2014, 02:13:23 PM »
Ignorant civilians being expected to know military protocol is the most terrifying crisis we've faced as a nation. Got it.

Ignorant, uncaring civilians with a medium sized army of highly (taxpayer) paid staffers whose main purpose is educating the ignorant, you mean.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2014, 03:02:13 PM »

You have an uncanny knack for calling out the disaster-mongers. 
Now if we can only find out why some people are deathly allergic to peanuts, because I sure don't recall anyone being allergic to peanuts in the 1960s when I was a kid ...... [tinfoil].
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »
There are a bunch of liberal asshats posting pics of Bush saluting while holding a dog, which he shouldn't have done.  It would appear he got caught off guard with the salute and he could've acknowledge with a nod of the head and gone about his way with no harm done.

Yes, in fact he should have returned the salute. Standard protocol if carrying a one-handed burden is to shift the burden to the left hand and salute with the right. That's what Bush did -- and it shows that he went out of his way to return the salute rather than blow it off with a nod.

Obama, on the other hand, was only carrying a coffee cup, and he couldn't be bothered to move it to his other hand and render a (more or less) proper salute. IMHO there is no comparison between the two incidents.

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2014/09/24/Obama-s-latte-salute-vs-Bush-s-dog-salute
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2014, 08:06:41 PM »
Yes, in fact he should have returned the salute. Standard protocol if carrying a one-handed burden is to shift the burden to the left hand and salute with the right. That's what Bush did -- and it shows that he went out of his way to return the salute rather than blow it off with a nod.

Obama, on the other hand, was only carrying a coffee cup, and he couldn't be bothered to move it to his other hand and render a (more or less) proper salute. IMHO there is no comparison between the two incidents.

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2014/09/24/Obama-s-latte-salute-vs-Bush-s-dog-salute

Thing is I see the dog as a two-handed burden.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2014, 08:48:31 PM »

I agree with you on the second point... it's not comparable. In the rules of salute etiquette, Obama's gaffe was more egregious.

I just don't think it's all that worth getting worked up for.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2014, 09:43:04 PM »
I just don't think it's all that worth getting worked up for.

People are worked up about it?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2014, 09:44:01 PM »

The whining on facebook is annoying...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2014, 09:55:50 PM »

LOL....

Yes. They are. Not really anyone here. But in general, people are going pants-on-head over it.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2014, 10:19:33 PM »
Well anyways, it's not like it's the first time he's had "hand issues" in public.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2014, 10:32:40 PM »
He could have at least spilled the coffee all over himself.   :laugh:
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2014, 11:48:28 PM »
LOL....

Yes. They are. Not really anyone here. But in general, people are going pants-on-head over it.

Pants on head. Now that sounds hilarious, so I googloogled it. British, I presume. Thanks for sharing.