Author Topic: Big Push For Gun Control Is Coming To Congress In September  (Read 8441 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Big Push For Gun Control Is Coming To Congress In September
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2019, 07:48:30 AM »
That doesn't sound too bad.  At least it would be an actual compromise versus just giving up rights.  Potential problem is that if someone has your information, they could background check you.  Maybe some notification could be done.  

Yeah, my problem would be anyone being able to do a check of anyone for anything without some notification. If they instituted a system like we have now with credit, where you could lock the ability of someone (LE would have to be exempted for it to pass) to run a check without your permission, That might be a more acceptable option for an unacceptable thing. Wanna buy a gun? Unlock your background check file so the merchant can run it. Want a job as a babysitter? Unlock your background check file so the family can verify you. Otherwise keep it locked so that crazy one night stands, psychotic coworkers, etc. can't try and screw with your life, at least in that regard.

While, as they say, "I have nothing to hide" and my background check comes back clean as a whistle, I still wouldn't want just anybody out there being able to run it at any time with a $10 or whatever charge to their credit card.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 08:32:13 AM »
I guess I this is what is meant when sociologists discuss high trust and low trust societies.

We're devolving completely into a low trust society.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 05:58:21 PM »
Best quote from the link below:

I love how we went from "we don't want to take your guns" to "we want to take your guns, and frankly your objections to it are undemocratic."

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/09/18/wil-wilkinsons-fear-of-gun-confiscation-opponents-disturbing-hostility-to-democracy-betrays-his-staggering-ignorance-of-the-constitution/

Oh, and the NYT article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/18/opinion/assault-rifle-ban.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2019, 12:07:29 PM »
If I didn't have an idea of who those people were to begin with, I wouldn't be able to discern their statements from satire.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2019, 12:53:43 PM »
The "all firearms are AK-47s" meme needs an update.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2019, 01:37:20 PM »
Sheila Jackson Lee gives her expert opinion on AR-15s:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2019/09/23/wtf-sheila-jackson-lee-held-an-ar-15-and-well-let-her-tell-you-about-it/

The look on the face of the guy holding the boom mic is priceless... "Can any human being really be that *expletive deleted*ing stupid?"
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2019, 01:51:38 PM »
The look on the face of the guy holding the boom mic is priceless... "Can any human being really be that *expletive deleted*ing stupid?"

10s of thousands of them, and they all voted for her.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2019, 11:47:27 PM »
Sheila Jackson Lee gives her expert opinion on AR-15s:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2019/09/23/wtf-sheila-jackson-lee-held-an-ar-15-and-well-let-her-tell-you-about-it/

To be perfectly fair, I have two firearms built on AR receivers that are .50 cal.  One is indeed like 48-49 lbs, so I can see how someone would feel it was really heavy.

She still can't have them.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2019, 09:56:27 AM »
To be perfectly fair, I have two firearms built on AR receivers that are .50 cal.  One is indeed like 48-49 lbs, so I can see how someone would feel it was really heavy.

She still can't have them.
I heard speculation that someone may have showed her a Barret and told her it was an AR-15.  Other than that, maybe 10 empty moving boxes would be close to the weight of a lightweight AR.

A number of decent people have tried to unseat the Congresswoman on both sides of the aisle.  Her district was set up as a safe Democrat district for her predecessor and I hear she actually does wield some influence in some circles.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2019, 10:48:16 AM »
I heard speculation that someone may have showed her a Barret and told her it was an AR-15. 

That was my first thought.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2019, 11:24:42 AM »
The NRA needs new leadership that will demand that Americans right to own fully auto weapons and suppressors be acknowledged and protected.

"Reasonable" compromise is how you conserve nothing.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2019, 12:04:00 PM »
I heard speculation that someone may have showed her a Barret and told her it was an AR-15.  Other than that, maybe 10 empty moving boxes would be close to the weight of a lightweight AR.

A number of decent people have tried to unseat the Congresswoman on both sides of the aisle.  Her district was set up as a safe Democrat district for her predecessor and I hear she actually does wield some influence in some circles.

Part of it is that sending her to Congress is kind of an "F-you" to other parts of America. When they aren't so low information that they're wooed by whatever style-over substance presentation she makes of herself, the rest are using her as a sort of protest vote.

Kind of the same reason Marion Barry got re-elected as Mayor of D.C.

And I'd be lying if I denied that some of Trump's appeal isn't based in the same thing.
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2019, 12:05:17 PM »
That was my first thought.

If they did, good for them. Give her plenty of rope to work with.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2019, 05:41:29 PM »
Some more testimony from that same congressional hearing. And apparently Trump called Pelosi to discuss gun legislation, but she only wanted to talk about the Ukraine. Look! A squirrel!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-dems-push-for-assault-weapons-ban

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2019, 09:37:52 PM »
So while the legacy media is screaming Impeach Ukraine are they going to try and push gun control under the radar or is it going to get left in committee?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2019, 03:50:02 PM »
So while the legacy media is screaming Impeach Ukraine are they going to try and push gun control under the radar or is it going to get left in committee?

Looks to be one of the plus sides of impeachment, gun control seems to have quieted down a bit.  =)

President Trump has abandoned the idea of releasing proposals to combat gun violence that his White House debated for months following mass shootings in August, according to White House officials and lawmakers, a reversal from the summer when the president insisted he would offer policies to curb firearm deaths.

Trump has been counseled by political advisers, including campaign manager Brad Parscale and acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, that gun legislation could splinter his political coalition, which he needs to stick together for his reelection bid, particularly amid an impeachment battle.

The president no longer asks about the issue, and aides from the Domestic Policy Council, once working on a plan with eight to 12 tenets, have moved on to other topics, according to aides who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the private deliberations.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2019, 04:05:51 PM »
Looks to be one of the plus sides of impeachment, gun control seems to have quieted down a bit.  =)

Yeah, it's a small political win for him among the impeachment craziness. The people that will now scream that he "didn't act!" are people who would never vote for him in a million years anyway. Had he passed any kind of gun control, there would have been a bunch more "stay home" voters on the R side.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2019, 04:11:00 PM »
Quote from: Pravda On The Potomac
Trump has been counseled by political advisers, including campaign manager Brad Parscale and acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, that gun legislation could splinter his political coalition, which he needs to stick together for his reelection bid, particularly amid an impeachment battle.

So ... once he gets reelected, to hell with the coalition, gun owners, and the NRA?

[tinfoil]
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2019, 04:29:24 PM »
So ... once he gets reelected, to hell with the coalition, gun owners, and the NRA?

[tinfoil]

Well, that will certainly be the time to see if he meant his 2nd Amendment support, or if it was all for votes. The latter would be disappointing.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2019, 04:40:11 PM »
Well, that will certainly be the time to see if he meant his 2nd Amendment support, or if it was all for votes. The latter would be disappointing.

It wouldn't be the first time.  Most of the Rs claiming to to be RKBA supporters have disappointed us.

Some of them didn't even wait until their second term (*cough* George Bush *cough*)
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2019, 05:15:25 PM »
It wouldn't be the first time.  Most of the Rs claiming to to be RKBA supporters have disappointed us.

Some of them didn't even wait until their second term (*cough* George Bush *cough*)

[Lana Kane] Yuuuupp. [/Lana Kane]

Pb

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2019, 02:05:29 PM »
The NRA needs new leadership that will demand that Americans right to own fully auto weapons and suppressors be acknowledged and protected.

"Reasonable" compromise is how you conserve nothing.

The NRA tried with suppressors a while ago- it went nowhere:

https://theresurgent.com/2019/01/29/senate-republicans-want-to-deregulate-suppressors/

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2019, 02:57:49 PM »
The NRA tried with suppressors a while ago- it went nowhere:

https://theresurgent.com/2019/01/29/senate-republicans-want-to-deregulate-suppressors/

That's not what I would call "try"
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?