Author Topic: Wisconsin schoolteacher suspended for Facebook picture w/shotgun...  (Read 4899 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
I wouldn't believe it had I not seen it:

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9781795

BEAVER DAM (WKOW) -- Beaver Dam school officials placed a middle school teacher on administrative leave after discovering a photograph of the teacher with a gun on the teacher's Facebook page.

In the photo, teacher Betsy Ramsdale is training a rifle at the camera.

Ramsdale emailed 27 News in response to our inquiries saying she "removed the photo immediately" and that she is not "interested in any controversy."   Ramsdale did not comment on her motivation for posting the photo.

Schools superintendent Donald Childs told 27 News he is unaware of any sinister intent on the teacher's part and said the use of the photo "appears to be poor judgment."

Childs said the Facebook photo was brought to the attention of school district officials by a concerned staff member at Beaver Dam Middle School.

Ramsdale's biography on the school district website states she is in her first year of teaching at the middle school.   Department of Public Instruction records show Ramsdale has been licensed to teach since 1996.

Middle school parent Jennifer Buzzell said the teacher's decision to post the photograph was concerning. 

"I don't think it's appropriate,"  Buzzell told 27 News.   "I'm not sure why this would be on the computer at all."

"I don't see anything wrong with it,"  school parent Mark Hagstrom said.   "She's on her time to do what she wants."

School parent Chad Van Loo said the photograph sends the wrong message.

"With the way things are going these days, with the kids bringing guns to school and bomb threats, (photograph) is something to be concerned about."

Ramsdale's union representation is through the Beaver Dam Education Association.  Association president Janet Schumaker has yet to return a call from 27 News.

Read our Assistant News Director's Blog on this topic:

http://addins.wkowtv.com/blogs/behindthenews/

To comment and provide news tips, contact reporter Tony Galli at tgalli@wkowtv.com

Turns out she's holding a shotgun in the photo. 

Why is it inappropriate, or "bad judgement" for her Facebook photo to show a firearm?

As Mike would say, "let the fear urine flow..."  =|

And it flows freely, as I followed the above link to the Assistant News Director's blog:

Internet Policy Change for Teachers Because of Facebook

The Beaver Dam teacher, placed on leave for what District officials deemed an “inappropriate” picture on her Facebook page, finally returned to class. The district investigated and she won’t face any more discipline. You can read the update to that story here: http://www.wkowtv.com/global/story.asp?s=9821639

The teacher’s union and the District are going to get together to come up with a policy at what teachers can and cannot post on their private Facebook page. I guess this means my blog on this subject, and why we decided this was a news story is dead on.

Sorry gun lovers…you’re wrong!

This had nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment…as some of the gun lovers commented. The 2nd Amendment is about the GOVERNMENT infringing on your rights to OWN a gun. I LOVE how the “big bad liberal media” is to blame when we do these stories…how all of us in the “liberal media” are anti-gun! I don’t hate guns at all. I just don’t feel the need to own one. And I don’t need gun lovers telling me I need one to protect myself. Go ahead…own your guns! Shoot at ranges. Just don’t be stupid with them and we won’t do stories about you.

What I do find interesting now is that the union supported the action taken by the District and now, they’ll sit down to discuss policy. I wonder if other school districts in the area will do the same thing…so teachers understand that they might be doing something inappropriate on the web.

Now, some people are surprised that a News Manager would have opinions and let them be known. Gee…really? Journalists don’t have opinions? The difference is we don’t put them into our news copy. We decide to cover stories as an entire newsroom…all opinions shared. When it comes to the stories themselves, it’s just the facts, ma’am. I don’t let any of my opinions into copy…just here. If I let my opinions get onto the news, I’d be working for FOX News or MSNBC.

Posted under Uncategorized

This post was written by rgiordan on February 10, 2009
3 Comments

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Wisconsin schoolteacher suspended for Facebook picture w/shotgun...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:18:25 PM »
That ain't right.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:36:54 AM »
I'd probably sue if I was her.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:38:24 AM »
1. Tell me again how pro-gun Wi is (aside from no ccw).
2. I wonder if the teacher could sue? Let's hope....
3. That smarmy bastard who wrote the op-ed piece..... Wow. I love the bile spewed, then the obligatory "not that's there's anything wrong with that" style I don't hate guns line, then a truly stomach churning boast of impartiality. Sickening.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

myrockfight

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:50:40 AM »
"Journalists don’t have opinions? The difference is we don’t put them into our news copy. We decide to cover stories as an entire newsroom…all opinions shared. When it comes to the stories themselves, it’s just the facts, ma’am. I don’t let any of my opinions into copy…just here."

O RLY? This is right after you say...

"Just don’t be stupid with them and we won’t do stories about you."

This guy seriously needs to flush out his head gear. What a moron. Since when is posting a picture of you practicing your hobby "stupid". Oh my bad. It isn't that it was a hobby your just biased against guns. Oh. Oh. Not guns, but pictures of guns.

Right  :rolleyes:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 02:33:46 AM »
Balog,

Wisconsin is actually very pro-gun, save for the blissninny islands of liberal dogma called Madison and Milwaukee. The former happens to be the state capitol, as well as the home of UW-Madison, a double-whammy in that the state government is located in what could essentially be called Berkeley East.  Just as the residents of New York State put distance between themselves and the shenanigans of New York City, so it goes with Wisconsin and Madison. Cheddarheads outside Madison would love to have CCW, but are over-ridden by the mentality that dominates Madison and some of its suburbs.  Google Mayor Paul Soglin for an example in how that mindest festers and propogates. 

If you read the responses to the newspaper articles, you'll find that they're all consistent in damning the busybody who reported the Facebook pictures, and they're consistent in damning the Assistant News Director's blog entry.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 03:33:44 AM »
I keep up with every bit of new tech. But I refuse to have Facebook or Myspace.

This is why. ID thieves and busybodies mess with it all the time, mess with people, and it doesn't quite work with my idea of "Unless I want to know you, I don't need you to know anything about me and have the advantage if you intend to be malicious."

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 05:02:34 AM »
Exactly, maned.

And that smarmy newsroom blogger just triggers my retching reflex.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 05:50:15 AM »
Journalists don’t have opinions? The difference is we don’t put them into our news copy.
Yea, ok...  ;/
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 08:57:53 AM »
I agree there is obviously a busybody/zero-tolerance-libtard-PC factor going on here. And she got railroaded.

I do note however that the stink was over a picture of her pointing the shotgun directly into the camera. That's a pose that even gets criticisim from some on gun boards when people post their own versions. I do wonder what would have happened, if anything, if she were simply holding the shotgun port-arms, or was actually aiming away from the camera at an actual target, bird hunting, or trap shooting etc.

Even in Madison they know not to directly confront hunters and "sportsmen".

Despite that, she should be able to post any kind of picture she wants.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »
Quote from the news director's blog:

What I do find interesting now is that the union supported the action taken by the District and now, they’ll sit down to discuss policy.

Yes, I also find it interesting that the union supported the employer instead of the worker in this case.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 09:22:48 AM »
G98: yeah, I hear that a lot. And I'm sure a lot of the rural counties in Kalifornistan are pro-gun too. Still doesn't make the state laws gun friendly.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Don't care

deleted
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 09:31:48 AM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:07:38 PM by Don't care »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 11:20:45 AM »
Oleg has plenty of photos in which the subject is pointing a gun at the camera. I don't recall any objections there.

This is just another case of Zero Tolerance, which really means not having to take any responsibility for your actions or use any judgement. Just follow the rulebook, no matter how ridiculous it makes you look.

Wisconsin is no more or less PC than the rest of the country, nor do we have a higher proportion of idiots in positions of power.

But....but....but.....but......itt's a..a..a..aa....a...  gun!

Reminds me of a conversation I was having with my former sales rep (who was an ultra-lib) about a photo I'd done with a gun in it.

"But, Dick, it's a GUN!"

"Well," I said, "I guess that explains why it goes 'bang' when I pull that trigger thingy."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 11:28:19 AM »
Oleg has plenty of photos in which the subject is pointing a gun at the camera. I don't recall any objections there.

Of course not.  He gets a pass as a "professional photographer", but I have seen the threads where other people posting similar pictures (gun at camera) have to explain in detail how nobody was near the camera before the furor dies down. 

Chris

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 12:07:59 PM »
almost all of the unprofessional photos of folks with guns get some sort of critique from gun boards. there is reason for it, although it seems overkill most the time. occasionally we do see dipsh*ts posing in a manner thats probably not safe, mostly 'cause those doing the poseing obviously not gunnies.

however, like i said before, its overkill. many of those photos are taken by folks who know how to be safe.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 12:24:28 PM »
I think that it's pretty ridiculous when an employer can walk all over an individual's 1st Amendment rights when they participate in something that is not work related. (The military is an exception) The fear mongers and anti-gun crowd are being far too vociferous in condemning this teacher. I won't even get into what I feel about the teacher's union.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »
I keep up with every bit of new tech. But I refuse to have Facebook or Myspace . . .  "Unless I want to know you, I don't need you to know anything about me  . . . "
Not being one to seek elective office, I've never really seen any benefit to pasting my mug all over the Internet (with details of my life) for strangers to examine.

In this case, there was no hint of any crime being committed . . . so it's entirely outrageous that any action was taken.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

ronnyreagan

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 01:07:27 PM »
I'm with the ACLU on this one
"Absent any evidence that the teacher poses a threat, the district should not over-react to the sight of a gun in one of their employee's hands," said Chris Ahmuty, Executive Director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin today.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 02:32:09 PM »
I do note however that the stink was over a picture of her pointing the shotgun directly into the camera. That's a pose that even gets criticisim from some on gun boards when people post their own versions. I do wonder what would have happened, if anything, if she were simply holding the shotgun port-arms, or was actually aiming away from the camera at an actual target, bird hunting, or trap shooting etc.

Of course not.  He gets a pass as a "professional photographer", but I have seen the threads where other people posting similar pictures (gun at camera) have to explain in detail how nobody was near the camera before the furor dies down. 

Apparently, these Rhodes Scholars have never heard of digital cameras with timers.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 02:48:52 PM »
Apparently, these Rhodes Scholars have never heard of digital cameras with timers.

I'm sure they have, but some folks use any opportunity to berate others online about "unsafe gun behavior".

Chris