Author Topic: wireless router  (Read 2526 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
wireless router
« on: November 28, 2009, 09:48:03 AM »
n that much better?  worth switching over?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: wireless router
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 09:56:08 AM »
I've been using one for the last two years - my uncle bought it for me when visiting from Russia.

The advantages, to me,, are double:

1. Once you set up your router, you no longer need to put in a password and username, the machine remembers them.

2. I have a laptop, and my father is constantly plotting to buy himself a new one since he broke the previouis one. A wireless router is the simplest and least painful way to connect all your computers to the Internet.

IF you just have one computer  I don't see much point.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 11:54:37 AM »
The wireless router is also good if you have WiFi capable phones or Xbox or something like that. That's why I installed my wifi router. It was easy and works well.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »
If you're asking if 802.11N is much better than 802.11G I'd say probably not.  If you're like me and just use a wireless router to hop on to the Internet then speed isn't a real concern so anything works, even the old 802.11b stuff.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:37:56 PM »
Heck my 11g router has 10 Mb transfer speed, which is still 3x faster than my DSL download speed.  I have not seen any reason to move to 11n yet.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 02:33:19 PM »
Yeah, about the only reason to have 802.11n is if you do lots of file transfers between computers on the same network, or if you stream high-def video to a home-theater PC, or an XBox360 (via Windows Media Center), etc. If you all do is get on the internet, stick with 802.11g.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »
Yeah, about the only reason to have 802.11n is if you do lots of file transfers between computers on the same network, or if you stream high-def video to a home-theater PC, or an XBox360 (via Windows Media Center), etc. If you all do is get on the internet, stick with 802.11g.

This ^^^.

We've been ripping our DVDs to mpg for storage on a file server.  802.11g does fine with DVD video (480P) but chokes on any HD (to include 720P).  We have a few HD-DVDs (bought REAL cheap) that we have ripped and we have to have them local to watch them.  Kind of a drag.  If we see any Blu-ray at firesale prices and get a bunch of HD video, we'll likely make the switch to 802.11n.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 07:42:01 PM »
cool looks like i'm switching to n then  and i can hook dad up with all my old g for his house
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 12:19:18 AM »
This ^^^.

We've been ripping our DVDs to mpg for storage on a file server.  802.11g does fine with DVD video (480P) but chokes on any HD (to include 720P).  We have a few HD-DVDs (bought REAL cheap) that we have ripped and we have to have them local to watch them.  Kind of a drag.  If we see any Blu-ray at firesale prices and get a bunch of HD video, we'll likely make the switch to 802.11n.

LITE-ON Black 4X BD-ROM SATA Internal 4X Blu-ray Disc Reader $49.99 W/Free Shipping
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

erictank

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 07:45:59 AM »
This ^^^.

What are you using for ripping and transcoding, jfuser?  I had a program I used to use a few years ago with my XP system (Pocket DVD, an all-in-one which I used to rip DVDs and transcode for play on my PDA), but it does not seem to work with Vista (haven't tried it on the netbook which has Win7, and not sure I *WANT* to try).

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 09:09:56 AM »
What are you using for ripping and transcoding, jfuser?  I had a program I used to use a few years ago with my XP system (Pocket DVD, an all-in-one which I used to rip DVDs and transcode for play on my PDA), but it does not seem to work with Vista (haven't tried it on the netbook which has Win7, and not sure I *WANT* to try).

I do such chores on linux, not windows.  Unless things are odd & require me to hand-fiddle, I'll use a script that automates the process.  The guts are dvd::rip.

I wouldn't know how to do it on Windows, except to compile the source under cygwin and then use the same script & guts.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »
For windows, you might want to try this: http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm

It has a 30 day full-featured free trial (but DO make sure you download the CSS version).  I'm evaluating it now, and am pretty impressed.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.