Author Topic: Wireless signal theft detection  (Read 11106 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Wireless signal theft detection
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:30:28 PM »
I have WAP security set on my wireless. Yet over the past couple of weeks I've noticed slow or sluggish speed. I know I need to probably change the PW and go over my settings, but I want to be sure that my Internet signal is not being stolen. So.   Is there any software detection tools, free would be good, that would let me know if I have any cooties.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Wireless signal theft detection
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:49:28 PM »
WAP?  Or did you typo WPA, or do you possibly mean WEP?
If WPA, try to upgrade to WPA2.  It is somewhat more secure.
If WEP, ditch it and upgrade to WPA2 if possible.  Anybody and their grandmother can crack WEP with easily available tools from the intarwebs.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:49:50 PM »
nmap, set on a stealthy scan.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »
Wouldn't looking at the DHCP table confirm the problem?  If there are MAC addresses you don't recognize then you have a thief.  Am I missing something?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 09:08:23 PM »
Note to the wise...

What wireless router are you using?

Many of the Linksys, Belkin, Netgear, D-Link, and other routers have been compromised over the last year or so via their default admin passwords.  The Psyb0t worm was one piece of malware that took advantage of this oversight, the other was the Zlob trojan. 

Make sure that once you set up one of those small home wireless routers, you immediately change out the default password to something more secure.

I can quite easily get into several of the unsecured (another user mistake) wireless networks in my neighborhood via their default passwords, found here:

http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

It's pretty much a given that when I find an SSID which says "Linksys" or similar, they haven't done much to protect their systems. I've left them alone, but I really need to do a screen capture and walk over to their homes with evidence in hand so they take at least simple security measures seriously.   =|

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 09:10:33 PM »
Wouldn't looking at the DHCP table confirm the problem?  If there are MAC addresses you don't recognize then you have a thief.  Am I missing something?

That would do it.  It's usually called 'attached devices' in my experience.  Check it when things seem sluggish and you'll know.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:10:54 PM »
Its WPA.  Linksys.  SSID and PW were changed when I installed it.  
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 09:16:01 PM »
Your wireless AP should tell you what's connected.

Chris

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 09:24:15 PM »
That would do it.  It's usually called 'attached devices' in my experience.  Check it when things seem sluggish and you'll know.

Here's my suggestions, in order of paranoia.  You should do at least the first 3
1) WPA2 if your clients support it, then use WPA.
2) Pick a non-obvious SSID.  I use a nonsensical phrase (e.g. Leaping Burgers)
3) Turn off SSID Broadcasts.
4) get your MAC addresses and turn on MAC address filtering.
5) set up a passworded proxy server, configure all your computers to use it, and block all outgoing traffic not from the proxy server.

If you REALLY want to be a nerd (like me) I have a completely sanitary network where my wifi is, and I have to use ipsec to get to the REAL network, with my SAN and Internet access.

But I'm the computer equivalent to Uncle Jed in the middle of nowhere, with an electrical fence around his property, a moat, and an armed militia patrolling his homestead.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 09:30:16 PM »
It's an almost 2 year old linksys. I just turned off all computers
in the house, turned off wifi on the iPhone, and well, the PC actvity and wireless lights were just a
blinking away. I'll reconfigure using some of the above suggestions or buy an updated wireless router.

It's sad when you iPhone, on edge is faster than your cable broadband through a linksys.

Abraham Lincoln

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 10:26:15 PM »
5) set up a passworded proxy server, configure all your computers to use it, and block all outgoing traffic not from the proxy server.

A while back I got an idea in my head.  After upgrading to an 802.11n router I noticed one of my neighbors was using it. I wanted to set up a proxy server, log where they were going on the net, and then configure it to only display to non-authorized users a list of any embarrassing sites that they'd visited.

Too much work though. I just finally encrypted the link.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 11:46:27 PM »
it would be easier to route to, well i ain't even going to type the names but you know them. :O  :-X but what happens if someone you like(say your mom or preacher) is at your house and tries out your network before you can add them to the ok list. :facepalm:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 12:03:13 AM »
This thread motivated me to get off my ass and encrypt my wireless, especially since we've gotten our first neighbors in my little corner of nowhere.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 12:14:53 AM »
Update:

Just trashed the linksys and bought a belkin enhanced wireless router (n). Named my network.  Set to do not broadcast.  WPA2 encryption and changed the factory PW.

I should be good to go. Running much faster as well.

Abraham Lincoln

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
What did you do with the old Linksys?

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 06:34:17 PM »
yeah what did you do with the old linksys
I'll assume that's 1st dibs on gewehr98s part
Put me down for 2nd.. depending on model #

Or just do what we would be doing with it..
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

I'm actually running
Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c  
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:37:18 PM by veloce851 »
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 07:19:16 PM »
The old linksys is settng in the garage. Why?  Is there someone in need of one?  Gewehr98 if you need it, pm me.

Abraham Lincoln

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 08:00:33 PM »
PM sent.  ;)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 08:11:41 PM »
PM answered

Abraham Lincoln

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 11:00:31 PM »
with computer hardware, there is always someone that could use it. =D if it isn't working, well;)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 11:51:58 PM »
Gewehr98 will be getting it. 

Abraham Lincoln

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 11:29:55 AM »
I'll cry when the older (v1 & linux flavors) used Linksys routers compatible with ddwrt are no longer available.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 12:03:46 PM »
I'll cry when the older (v1 & linux flavors) used Linksys routers compatible with ddwrt are no longer available.

Linksys continues to manufacture the WRT-54GL which is DD-WRT compatible, so I don't think the supply will be drying up anytime soon. I'm hoping they'll manufacture an equivalent 802.11n version.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 12:12:29 PM »
So will I, and I run Tomato.  Supposedly some of the newer N Linksys routers (WRT-300N, WRT-320N, WRT-350N?) are being used with success under DD-WRT:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63100

http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59462

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 03:33:45 PM »
Gewehr98 will be getting it. 
:angel: i saw(lol, typed that backwards the first time :O) that before i replied =) i was more talking about the next thing, the only thing i don't give away are(or is that is) hard drives. when i'm done with them they won't work for anything, i have a few i need to break down and recover the magnets from. =D the preacher at my church(man that's odd to type :angel:) builds computers for people from old parts, i have been trying to get him to try out linux. [tinfoil]