Author Topic: Wireless/Wired Router and Flashed Firmware Suggestions  (Read 643 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Wireless/Wired Router and Flashed Firmware Suggestions
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:59:49 AM »
Howdy:

It looks like my home network hardware is flaking out on me. 

Specifically, my ancient Linksys WRT54GS did not recall its settings the last reboot.  I flashed it back in 2006 with dd-wrt v23 and have been happily ignorant since then.  Reboot every few months on GP and configure new devices as they come along.

It would be hard to go back to a less-capable hardware & firmware.

Here are some general requirements:
Wireless: 802.11n, 802.11g (802.11b would be nice, but I could live without)
Wired: Gigabit 4+ ports
External antennas that can be replaced with more powerful directional & omni antennas
Flash-able with third party firmware like dd-wrt
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: Wireless/Wired Router and Flashed Firmware Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »
I can't give a specific recommendation  as I don't currently have a need for gigabit Ethernet or 802.11n speeds, but, I did the dd-wrt thing on a couple of Asus routers over a year ago and I'm happy.  They were the 520GC and 520GU models as I recall.  Both had external antennae and in the case of the GU it has USB ports on it which I use to share out the home printer.

I'd imagine if you can find a gigabit/802.11n Asus router and a dd-wrt build for it you'd have a solution.  Also, I'm pretty sure dd-wrt is well supported on Asus models because, as my brother once said, "I don't think Asus actually expects anybody to use their crappy firmware.  Pretty sure they just expect people to put dd-wrt on them." :)