Author Topic: Wish me luck...  (Read 1607 times)

Azrael256

• friend
Wish me luck...
« on: August 28, 2006, 01:01:03 PM »
I am off to take the local PD's written exam.  Everybody cross your fingers for me around 1800 Central time.  With any luck, I'll be back with happy news tonight.

SADShooter

• friend
Wish me luck...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 01:44:36 PM »
Go get 'em, Tiger!
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

crt360

• friend
Wish me luck...
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 02:34:57 PM »
Good luck!
For entertainment purposes only.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Wish me luck...
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 06:56:55 PM »
Good luck Azrael, and kudos on your decision to "protect and serve".

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Wish me luck...
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 07:40:31 PM »
well how did it go?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Wish me luck...
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 08:32:31 PM »
Good Luck!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Azrael256

• friend
Wish me luck...
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 08:34:26 PM »
Passed the written with flying colors, no problem there.  We started out with a little over 80 applicants and about 50 passed.  Not too shabby, really.  Physical test is tomorrow, but it's pretty simple.  They anticipate losing maybe 5 people from that.  After the physical, they total up the numbers and send the top two thirds (probably) through for processing.  

So, if it isn't too much trouble, wish me luck again at 0830.  I've been exercising, and I fully intend to stomp the *expletive deleted*it out of this physical test.  I also intend to make a complete fool out of a very nice Brazos County deputy.  'Course, that won't be easy since he's a veteran, and holds about a dozen certifications between Peace Officer, Jailer, and something medical I can't quite remember.  Good guy.  I'd go on patrol with a partner like that any day.  I hope he makes it, too.

Azrael256

• friend
Wish me luck...
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 05:46:35 AM »
Well, I'm back... earlier than I had hoped.  I got through all of the obstacle course until the 7' board wall.  I was unable to beat it.  Dammit.  I did, however, leave something of myself on top of it.  They'll have to clean it off before the next guy tries it.  Actually, they'll have to power wash it.  I failed, but I failed in color.

The Sergeant running the test gave me a good pep talk afterward.  He reiterated, several times, that "there is no shame in this."  I know he's right, but I don't like failure.  He said that I should be sure to tell any other agency I applied with that I failed the physical and nothing else.  He said that most applicants test several places before they make it.  Ok, so he's right, but it still sucks.

The group I tested with was a bunch of good people.  They were all disappointed that I didn't pull it off.  I applied so I could work with people like that.  The pep talk I got from that Brazos County deputy was probably the best.

I appreciate the support from you guys.  I'll be needing it again.  The only road I see from here is improving my arm strength and filling out more applications.  So, on we go.

crt360

• friend
Wish me luck...
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 11:34:19 AM »
Sorry to hear you didn't make it all the way through.  Sounds like you have the right attitude though.  Keep it up.  Besides, most LEOs I see couldn't make it over a seven foot wall with a trampoline.
For entertainment purposes only.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Wish me luck...
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 11:47:19 AM »
I did, however, leave something of myself on top of it.
YOWCH!! I'm not even gonna ask... shocked

Cheesy

Try try again...

Work on your dips? That may get you over the wall next time.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

SADShooter

• friend
Wish me luck...
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 12:02:01 PM »
Azrael:

You went after it and gave it your all. That's all you can do.

I passed the PT test for an ROTC scholarship because the Master Sergeant running the test saw the progress I made prepping, and gave me credit for partial pullups. Didn't matter, though, because I failed the DoDMERB physical, courtesy of spastic CP and a nystagmus resulting, ironically enough, from care by Army doctors after I was born.

All that to say, you can do it again, and you will. And whatever community you commit to serve will be better for it.

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Wish me luck...
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 01:09:57 PM »
Keep trying, Azrael256. You'll make it.

Sounds like you're probably a large guy. Us skinny guys have an advantage when it comes to things like walls and ropes and such, but not when actually having to use sheer strength.

Wish me luck...
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 01:17:11 PM »
I'm sorry this one didn't go as well as you'd like, but the next time will be better.

Azrael256

• friend
Wish me luck...
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 01:50:50 PM »
There is another option for me in the immediate future.  There is another department.  Their PFT is more of a military style (running, situps, pushups, etc.) and not an obstacle course.  That sort of stuff is pretty easy, particularly because I can train for every single requirement right at home without first visiting the lumber yard.  Actually, I outdid their requirements Monday morning when I went out to exercise.  They test every month, the compensation and benefits are competitive, and they're constantly hiring.  Sounds good, no?

Problem: It's Dallas.

Dad was an officer there.  A high-ranking officer.  Dad resigned in haste.  Dad may or may not have been using city resources to start his law firm.  The investigation never went anywhere because he resigned.  All the guys who were just making Corporal back then would be somewhere in the vicinity of Captain by now.  Oh, and dad and I have the same name.  A problem?  Maybe.  If everybody adheres strictly to policy, which they probably would, I'd get hired.  Making it past Corporal might get interesting.

And all that pales in comparison to the other problem.  Mom was a PD staffer, dad was a patrolman, and a dispatcher set them up.  So, this is just the family business.  Seriously.  One of my aunts never had an association with a PD, everybody else has.  Anyway, mom and dad are divorced, mom and dad don't speak, and mom doesn't look too kindly upon police work.  Mom was none too thrilled when I announced my post-graduation plans, but we dealt with that.  I don't think she would ever disown me, but if I announced my intention to apply to DPD, there is a reasonable probability that she would attempt to physically disable me so that I could not test.  Maybe that's extreme.  She would probably punch me in the face.  Sister would, too.  Grandparents would say something along the lines of "have you lost your f---ing mind?"

It's going to be an interesting week.  Forget the test, wish me luck with my family.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Wish me luck...
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 04:06:48 PM »
Hang in you will be able to find something.  I have a friend who has applied for every police dept. from Killeen to New Braunfels.  I doubt you will have the same problems my friend is having.  Being a female and trying to get into police work are not an easy combo.  She was valedictorian in her Police Academy and in 2 departments I know of she was in the top 3 (for both tests) but she hasn't been hired yet...  I feel bad for her.  She is good enough to be a dispatcher but can't find a force that will hire her.

I have a question though.  Is it normal for a police department to require your bank account info on applications, your families social security numbers. And other things like if any members of extended family have been in prison etc.?  And names of every person you ever lived with?

Azrael256

• friend
Wish me luck...
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 04:17:34 PM »
Is it normal for a police department to require your bank account info on applications, your families social security numbers. And other things like if any members of extended family have been in prison etc.?  And names of every person you ever lived with?
Yup.  The department here didn't ask for bank accounts, but they did ask for account numbers of any financial liabilities.  They didn't ask for my family members' SSNs, but they did want a DOB, occupation, etc., as well as any significant criminal history.  They didn't ask about every person I've ever lived with, just any non-family living with me now.  They did want the name(s) on the lease/deed of any place I've lived.