Author Topic: Buy house, get $8000 cash.  (Read 3685 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Buy house, get $8000 cash.
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:11:09 PM »
Well... not quite that easy, but close.

For those who haven't heard, first time home buyers, or those who have not owned a home for at least three years, can qualify for an $8000 tax credit.

Long story short, if you make less than $170,000 combined income (married) or $95,000 (single), and purchase a home between January 1 and November 30, 2009, you qualify.  It is 10% of the purchase price up to $8000.

The credit is treated like a cash payment against your taxes.  It is added to any amount you've had withheld, or have pre-paid, for the tax year.  Any amount of the combined funds not used to pay your taxes will be refunded to you.

Example 1:
You calculate your taxes and owe $5000.  You have had $5400 withheld from your paycheck, plus the $8000 credit.  You get a refund of $8400.

Example 2:
You calculate your taxes and owe $5000.  You have had $4800 withheld from your paycheck, plus the $8000 credit.  You get a refund of $7800.

The catch ... the home must be your primary residence and there is a three-year repayment provision.  If you stay in the home past the three-year mark the repayment provision goes away.

If you've already filed a return for the 2008 tax year, have received your refund, and purchased a qualifying home since January 1, you can file an amended return and get your full credit refunded to you.  If you do not file before April 15 (i.e.: you file an extension instead of a complete return) the credit will have to be claimed on your 2009 taxes.

Disclaimer - I am not an accountant, nor am I a tax professional.  Consult your accountant or tax professional for more information about qualifications and for filing your return.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Teknoid

Re: Buy house, get $8000 cash.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 06:35:17 PM »
That's the way I heard it. At least one member of my family will be "stimulated". My son was just discharged from the Marines, his wedding is in a month, and they'll be closing on a house before the honeymoon. VA loan, low interest, and 8k tax credit. Not a bad start, I guess.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 06:39:19 PM »
I will be stimulated as well by this.

Not changing my plans one way or another, but I figure it'll help fortify the bunker against blue helmet attack. :O

Okay, well actually it will be used to pay off the last of my truck's loan.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 06:40:08 PM »
Like I wasn't motivated enough to buy a house.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 09:05:07 PM »
I won't qualify as we sold our house in Phoenix in June 2007.  Not that I'd planned on buying a house this year anyway.  Besides, prices will probably drop another $8000+ here in the Puget Sound over the next year or so.  So I'm probably not going to loose anything by waiting even I did qualify.
Formerly sumpnz

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:04:23 PM »
I guess this is what I get for being responsible and buying a house I could afford last March...

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 07:25:21 PM »
A question:

My wife owns the house we live in... well shares it with the state and bank whatever.
We have thought about putting my name on the title now that we are married.
Would it be legal for her to sell me the house for what she owes on it, to take advantage of the 1st time home buyer
benefits (I have never bought a home before)
Or just add my name and forget about filling out any annoying federal paperwork?
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 12:03:39 AM »
A question:

My wife owns the house we live in... well shares it with the state and bank whatever.
Would it be legal for her to sell me the house for what she owes on it, to take advantage of the 1st time home buyer
Or just add my name and forget about filling out any annoying federal paperwork?

Answer:

Talk to a tax professional and/or a lawyer.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 02:19:31 PM »
A question:

Answer - No.

In a married household both spouses must qualify.  Your wife has been a homeowner within the last three years so neither of you qualify for the credit.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 02:24:02 PM »
Well, we've been saving to get a downpayment because I knew the market was unlikely to get much lower than this.

Looks like we need to scrimp and save to get everything we can prior to November 30.

Hopefully, we'll be in a position by then- I had thought it'd take another year though...

Hmmmm....

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 02:27:26 PM »
Well, we've been saving to get a downpayment because I knew the market was unlikely to get much lower than this.

Looks like we need to scrimp and save to get everything we can prior to November 30.

Hopefully, we'll be in a position by then- I had thought it'd take another year though...

Hmmmm....

Same here. I wonder if this credit will be renewed or otherwise available after the current iteration expires? I suppose it depends on how the market is doing.....

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 02:33:58 PM »

Hmmmm....

How much house are you looking to buy?  Under the new FHA guidelines you will need a minimum of 3.5% OOP (out of pocket) going into the purchase.  You can negotiate with the seller to fund the remainder of your closing expenses.

Example:

House price
$100,000

Lender estimated total Out Of Pocket expenses, including down payment
$8000 (amount is common for Lubbock. Your area may differ)

Your required minimum contribution (3.5% of $100,000)
$3500

You can negotiate with the seller to contribute $4500 towards the remainder of your closing expenses.  Whether you can find a seller willing to do so will depend on the seller's attitude, motivation, and needs, and on the market in your area.

You need to (A) hook up with a good real estate agent and (B) start talking to lenders NOW.  If you can't find one you like in your area give me a ring.  We have some local guys who can do out of state stuff, and that will probably beat the pants off most lenders on rates and fees.

Brad
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 02:35:51 PM »
How much house are you looking to buy?  Under the new FHA guidelines you will need a minimum of 3.5% OOP (out of pocket) going into the purchase.  You can negotiate with the seller to fund the remainder of your closing expenses.

Example:

House price
$100,000

Lender estimated total Out Of Pocket expenses, including down payment
$8000 (amount is common for this area. Your area may differ)

Your required minimum contribution (3.5% of $100,000)
$3500

You can negotiate with the seller to contribute $4500 towards the remainder of your closing expenses.  Whether you can find a seller willing to do so will depend on the seller's attitude, motivation, and needs, and on the market in your area.

Brad

ONLY 3.5%!???

I was trying for 20% and I thought I might be able to get by with 10....

This is looking more doable.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 02:51:28 PM »
things might be tougher now but i was able to buy houses when i couldn't get a decent car loan   no credit
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 02:52:06 PM »
I wonder if this applies to loans brokered (is that the right term?) by the VA?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 03:08:02 PM »
ONLY 3.5%!???

I was trying for 20% and I thought I might be able to get by with 10....

This is looking more doable.

3.5% is the minimum required Buyer contribution under the new FHA guidelines.  Keep in mind that doesn't mean it's 3.5% out of pocket, there are other costs associated with closing (insurance, surveys, appraisals, prepays into excrow, etc).  Around these parts the incedental costs and fees normally run 3.5% to 4.5% of the contract amount.  You may or may not have to come out of pocket for the these expenses, depending on whether you can negotiate with the seller to contribute some amount to your closing costs. 

If you are forced to go completely out of pocket for the entire Buyer's side of the transaction, figure a minimum of 7-9% of the contract price for total buying expenses.  This should include all your prepaids, fees, and the the 3.5% (minimum) downpayment.

But as always... Hook up with a good lender and have them do a GFE (Good Faith Estimate) for you.

I wonder if this applies to loans brokered (is that the right term?) by the VA?

VA and FHA do no broker or make loans.  An "FHA loan" or "VA loan" is made by the same company or underwriter as conventional mortgage products, it is simply made under guidelines set forth by the Federal Housing Administration  or the Veterans Administration.  Mortgage loans made under FHA or VA guidelines are insured against default for the lender, and by the respective Administration involved. 

In other words an "FHA loan" is not made by the FHA, only insured by them.  The loan is made by XYZ Mortgage under the FHA guidelines.  FHA then insures XYZ Mortgage against borrower default.  Ditto VA.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 03:19:32 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 03:15:42 PM »
Right, I knew the VA isn't directly involved in the lending process. I just wasn't aware of the correct terminology.  =)

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 03:23:53 PM »
things might be tougher now but i was able to buy houses when i couldn't get a decent car loan   no credit

They've put the clamp on mortgage loans.  No-doc loans are a thing of the past unless you have an 800 credit score and a buttload of money to put down (like 30-50%, minumum).

For conventional and FHA-insured products the minimum credit score needs to be at least 630 (it used to be 570).  Full documentation of income is required, including documentation of cash on hand for closing expenses.  In other words, it better be in your account, or you better be able to show that you are setting aside a regular amount against it.  If the cash just suddenly "appeared" in your account last month, you must be able to document that it came from a legitimate source, and is not borrowed in any way, shape, or form.  (so no getting a cash advance on your Visa).

Brad
-HankB

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 03:40:18 PM »
They've put the clamp on mortgage loans.  No-doc loans are a thing of the past unless you have an 800 credit score and a buttload of money to put down (like 30-50%, minumum).

For conventional and FHA-insured products the minimum credit score needs to be at least 630 (it used to be 570).  Full documentation of income is required, including documentation of cash on hand for closing expenses.  In other words, it better be in your account, or you better be able to show that you are setting aside a regular amount against it.  If the cash just suddenly "appeared" in your account last month, you must be able to document that it came from a legitimate source, and is not borrowed in any way, shape, or form.  (so no getting a cash advance on your Visa).

Brad

I think I bought a house at a good time (last summer).  Loans were still relatively easy to get, and hosing prices had dropped a fair amount by then.

Of course, I has 15%ish down, and the house cost about 1.4 times our yearly pay.  In other words, we bought within our means.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 03:44:54 PM »
it'll be a while before i do anything  i might refi to remodel but i typically do that outa pocket.when i got this place 10 years ago i thought the loan officer was gonna stroke out when he ran my credit  thank god for my wifes bad taste in men
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I