Author Topic: Dental Amalgam Mercury Fillings  (Read 3660 times)

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Dental Amalgam Mercury Fillings
« on: April 10, 2010, 10:24:32 AM »
Ok so I was reading this thread;

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=23897.0

So I did a search and found this;

http://www.amalgam.org/

I grew up in a dental chair. Lots and lots of dental work. A six tooth partial root canals filling caps you name it.

WTF??!!!

I've suffered from migrains for years.

PTK

• friends
Re: Dental Amalgam Mercury Fillings
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:42:42 AM »
I give that as much credibility as the whole "cooking in an aluminum pressure cooker causes Alzheimer's". I have literally dozens of Hg amalgam fillings in my teeth, gold crowns, you name it.

I've got only a very slightly elevated Hg level in my body, according to my 2008 tests - about consistent with someone that eats lots of fish. I'm not worried.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:49:53 AM »
the other side [tinfoil]
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/mercury.html

now then would you like some drug names? :angel:

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:52:38 AM »
Know what I REALLY love about the pushers of plastic fillings? They tend not to mention that every 3-5 years, the plastic has degraded to the point it must be replaced, including taking a bit more of the tooth out every time, causing more issues, costing more money, etc.

Plus, yuck, I'd rather drink a vial of Hg than have plastic in my mouth for long periods of time. The dental stuff is cured via MEKP. YUCK!   [barf]

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 11:07:28 AM »
PTK, you mean these? if so they hold up pretty good, i have some close to 6 years old that are fine. =D

PTK

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 11:10:46 AM »
That entire article glosses over the fact that the "catalyst" is MEKP. In your mouth.  [barf]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MEKP

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 11:30:31 AM »
i can't find anything tying it to the UV curing process, not that that means anything. :angel: and the patent doesn't mention using a uv cure? ehh, going to die at some point anyway might as well be able to eat, and not have a toothache will then. [popcorn]

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 03:47:06 PM »
The whole "OMG mercury amalgam kill-you-dead fillings" thing is a crock of overblown whiney pansy touchy-feely crap.  It's a tiny bit of science covered in a thick layer of clueless.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 04:43:02 PM »
Yeah.  I looked at the link in the OP.  Briefly.  Just long enough to see "Natural Detoxification!" That right there was enough for me to say QUACK!  I'm sorry, but there's only one proven (at least to my knowledge) method for "detoxification" of heavy metals, such as lead or mercury.  And that's chelation therapy.  It's expensive and it's very time consuming, and has no guarantees as to how much of the metal it will remove. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 05:09:25 PM »
And it BURNS LIKE A MOFO!  :O

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »
And it BURNS LIKE A MOFO!  :O

Yeah, I was gonna add that part, that depending on the chelation agent being used, it can range from mild discomfort to "CUT MY MF'ING ARM OFF NOW BEFORE IT SPREADS!!!!!"
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 05:17:29 PM »
Am I remembering correctly that some mercury can be elimited with an old-fashined sweatbox?

Brad
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 06:44:10 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

PTK

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 05:25:04 PM »
Yeah, I was gonna add that part, that depending on the chelation agent being used, it can range from mild discomfort to "CUT MY MF'ING ARM OFF NOW BEFORE IT SPREADS!!!!!"

Yeah. I was told "slight discomfort may appear". Hah. Right. Slight.  :mad:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 11:47:43 PM »
Know what I REALLY love about the pushers of plastic fillings? They tend not to mention that every 3-5 years, the plastic has degraded to the point it must be replaced, including taking a bit more of the tooth out every time, causing more issues, costing more money, etc.

Absolutely untrue. ABSOLUTELY!

I have plastic/resin fillings in my mouth that are approaching 40 years old and they're as good as the day they were put in.

As to the "quackery" ... I've been going to the same dentist for about 30 years. He went to dental school at University of Pennsylvania, which I have been told by people other than my dentist is one of THE best dental schools in the country. The first time I needed a filling from him, we had a big argument because I insisted on resin and he insisted that all the scare stories about mercury were false and unfounded scare stories. He assured me that amalgam must be safe because the ADA said it was safe. But ... I'm the patient and it's my mouth. He did the resin filling.

Twenty-five years later, he has never ever mentioned that initial "discussion" about the potential hazards of amalgam fillings, but he has not used amalgam in his office for at least the past ten years.

Probably just a coincidence ...

Plus, yuck, I'd rather drink a vial of Hg than have plastic in my mouth for long periods of time. The dental stuff is cured via MEKP. YUCK!

Also untrue. The resin is cured by ultraviolet light.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

PTK

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 11:50:54 PM »
Probably just a coincidence ...

Yeah, has nothing to do with plastic being far cheaper. Everyone always uses the best materials, right?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 12:17:43 AM »
Plus, yuck, I'd rather drink a vial of Hg than have plastic in my mouth for long periods of time. The dental stuff is cured via MEKP. YUCK!

Also untrue. The resin is cured by ultraviolet light.

Yep. UV light. No problemo.

The non-mercuric fillings aren't causing any problems to our knowledge. And we should know, considering my family has been in the dental field for 40+ years. So, there, that's straight from the source.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 12:40:39 AM »
The unlisted "catalyst" in most of the plastic mixtures for dental fillings is indeed MEKP. That's straight off the package from the tubes at my dentist's office.  

'course, maybe he just uses hardware store two-part epoxy, eh?  :laugh:

(Keep in mind, guys, I'm not in the field, so, don't think I'm saying any of this with any real authority, just my own personal observations)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 12:50:11 AM »
My teeth used to be little sugar fermentation factories and I've got of mouthful of Mercury-Silver fillings from when I was a kid.
Some of my Hg fillings are 60 years old.    

About 30 years ago when the "filling thing" first got around, I asked my dentist if we should remove them and replace them.  He said I'd get more mercury in my system from the removal process than just letting them sit there.

So far, they haven't aff
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 03:47:12 AM »
Am I remembering correctly that some mercury can be elimited with an old-fashined sweatbox?

Wrong approach; you have to stand in a freezer for an hour until it drops, then drain it out through your toes.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 04:43:29 AM »
or you could just eat a nice big bowl of colon blow, bill clinton swears by the stuff. [popcorn]

edit: messed up spelling just, WTH =(

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 10:42:25 AM »

About 30 years ago when the "filling thing" first got around, I asked my dentist if we should remove them and replace them.  He said I'd get more mercury in my system from the removal process than just letting them sit there.

Same thing my dentist told me when I asked him that question. I also had about a half dozen fillings as a kid and my dentist has replaced three of them (around 40 years old) that were cracked/worn with resin, which is all he uses now. Otherwise he highly recommended that I keep the amalgam fillings until they actually needed to be replaced.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 10:53:12 AM »
Most of my old amalgam fillings have needed crowns.

Not sure how many I have left now  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 10:55:12 AM »
Most of my old amalgam fillings have needed crowns.

That's because you and your beard are older than amalgam. :P  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 11:03:58 AM »
That's because you and your beard are older than amalgam. :P  :laugh:

Oddly enough, my wooden teeth are holding up pretty well  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »
Chewing a small piece of aluminum foil now and then can prevent any mercury from leeching into your system.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage